What's new

What have I got?

Can someone enlighten me as to what I’ve got?
It’s a French straight razor, with Le Grelot, Thiers,France 355 6/8 engraved on it. On the blade itself it says Sheffield Steel.
The scales look like plastic tortoise, 2 pins with a little bell on the scales. Comes across a bit flimsy...
It was given to me in a plastic sleeve with instructions in French.
Is this a quality razor? Any good for a beginner?
I’ve read about Thiers-Issard but there’s no Issard engraved in mine.
Its in unused mint condition and I’m very happy with it but I would like to find out more about it so thanks in advance!

Le Grelot are usually very nice shavers.I would have it honed by a pro before using it.Upload a pic and I am sure someone can provide more info .

Le Grelot was a French top of the line razor maker that only share the name with the newly revived Le Grelot Brand. I've got some of the old brands razors. Like very many razor manufacturers Le Grelot made razors of different quality and price. The 355 6/8, as well at the 5/8 version, are perhaps the most exclusive razors Le Grelot made.

The 355 6/8 is an extreme hollow razor where the blade flexes to fit the contours of your face. It's a rather nice feature. I'd say that the 355 is OK as a first razor, but I'd recommend a bit stiffer razor for a first razor. As your specimen is in good condition: Please don't use it to practice honing.

20181028_170540.jpg

Le Grelot was a French top of the line razor maker that only share the name with the newly revived Le Grelot Brand. I've got some of the old brands razors. Like very many razor manufacturers Le Grelot made razors of different quality and price. The 355 6/8, as well at the 5/8 version, are perhaps the most exclusive razors Le Grelot made.

The 355 6/8 is an extreme hollow razor where the blade flexes to fit the contours of your face. It's a rather nice feature. I'd say that the 355 is OK as a first razor, but I'd recommend a bit stiffer razor for a first razor. As your specimen is in good condition: Please don't use it to practice honing.

View attachment 923564
Thanks for the info Arne!

61F94773-2363-47EF-878B-0700168933C3.jpeg

6B4E2C97-34DC-450F-A6CF-CCAFA72C154A.jpeg

DB9F87B6-9D5F-4683-BED5-28645EAA75A7.jpeg

33338E1B-D433-45B3-92E9-63101772DA3D.jpeg

0CB75C53-A312-4873-80B9-BCF6A1BBAE54.jpeg

Thats exactly the one I’ve got but yours has three pins instead of the two mine has.
Also, mine hasn’t got the P. Hospital engraving.
On top of that mine doesn’t have the decorative spine, its just plain smooth steel. It looks like a less luxurious version compared to yours.
I won’t try honing any time soon so no worries. Thanks for your info! Tack!

Top Bottom