What's new

What Have I Done

I think I might have a problem, about two weeks ago I purchased a feather popular razor adamant I wouldn't end up getting a brush or any cream besides my good ol' gillete foam but things happened...

Now I've got a brush some nice cream and feel like trying other soaps/aftershaves and somehow today I just purchased an old Gillette razor.

I got into this to save money on blades but I don't think I have the willpower.

Welcome to B&B.
Online shopping is hard to resist but it takes a while to get through soaps and creams. A typical 150 gram bowl lasts about 4.5 months so bear that in mind. Show us pictures of your razor when it arrives.

I think it's perfectly normal to experiment when starting. You don't have to get carried away and fall down the various rabbit holes. You can still save money if you don't start collecting things in excess.

Welcome to the madhouse Ace! :cornut:
I got into this to save money on blades but I don't think I have the willpower.
Unless you decide to purchase blades by the truckload, you'll probably save a lot on them. But then... there are other things like razors (I see you've just started your collection), brushes to suit your personal taste (badger, boar, horsehair, synthetic, etc), shaving creams and soaps to suit your skin and sense of smell (too many to mention). Those are some of the preliminary rabbit holes, but there are MANY more. Good luck! :devil: :laugh:

Thanks for the welcome guys! Hopefully this is the end of my collection for a bit but I aint so sure. I just shaved with the Gillette and I feel it was a damn good deal for $15 Canadian and now I have a backup in case one of them breaks.

I got an omega boar brush and didn't seem to like the whole brush thing at first but I'm starting to get used too it.

And if anyone could tell me what razor I even bought that would be much appreciated because I have no idea how old or what model it is besides that it's made in England. I'll post a few pictures in a couple minutes.

IMG_20200327_173531282.jpg
IMG_20200327_173803014.jpg
IMG_20200327_174145660.jpg
IMG_20200327_173553713.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_173548079.jpg
    IMG_20200327_173548079.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Very cool, thanks for that Cal!
Would have loved to learn it was older but considering the great condition its in I expected it to be from the 70s or 80s.

I mean no offense my friend hah. The razor is more than double my age though so I might be a bit biased calling it "old" it certainly is more modern than it is vintage now that I think about it.

Very cool, thanks for that Cal!
My pleasure Ace. :thumbsup:
Would have loved to learn it was older but considering the great condition its in I expected it to be from the 70s or 80s.
Here's some Gillette dating info from the B&B ShaveWiki... and if you get stuck on the endless abbreviations and acronyms we use round here check out the ShaveWiki Abbreviations page.

Plus... there's loads more Gillette info at mr-razor.com where I got your Tech pics from.

My pleasure Ace. :thumbsup:

Here's some Gillette dating info from the B&B ShaveWiki... and if you get stuck on the endless abbreviations and acronyms we use round here check out the ShaveWiki Abbreviations page.

Plus... there's loads more Gillette info at mr-razor.com where I got your Tech pics from.

Awesome thanks for the information but to be honest, I think I need to stop looking at razors while I still have some money. :biggrin1:

I got an omega boar brush and didn't seem to like the whole brush thing at first but I'm starting to get used too it.

Hopefully you’ll grow to like the boar brushes. It takes a good bit more effort to break them in, but they just get better and better and don’t cost the $$$ of badgers.

I’ve posted a couple of pic of my semogue boar brush after 1 and 6 weeks of daily use. The knot opens up(blooms) and the hairs will split up to 4 ways each resulting in a luxuriously soft brush.

Attachments

• B804947C-BB70-4D3F-AE57-2B8C1DB099F2.jpeg
    B804947C-BB70-4D3F-AE57-2B8C1DB099F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • C53E4941-23DD-4765-9FAB-C65AD62B51CE.jpeg
    C53E4941-23DD-4765-9FAB-C65AD62B51CE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. Use that Tech my friend. Techs are fantastic razors if you prefer milder razors. Also if you try a Feather Blade in there it just lifts the shave up to an almost perfect one IMHO.

Hopefully you’ll grow to like the boar brushes. It takes a good bit more effort to break them in, but they just get better and better and don’t cost the $$$ of badgers.
That's a damn nice looking brush ya got! My first brush shave was the worst I've had since getting a DE razor by far, but it seems it was primarily user error. I didn't think the brush would cause any irritation so I loaded some cream on the brush and straight to the face with no fear ended up with a lather that was gunking up my razor and dried up halfway through and just a burnt feeling from being overzealous with the brush.
So for about a week I've just been lathering on my hand just for practice and to break the brush in and not even using it to shave. Used the brush for the past 3 days for shaving and I have to say it's very nice that warm lather hitting your face just feels phenomenal.

The knot opens up(blooms) and the hairs will split up to 4 ways each resulting in a luxuriously soft brush.
Interesting that you say that as I thought my brush was getting thicker even though I've lost a couple hairs, just checked and they are splitting nicely!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. Use that Tech my friend. Techs are fantastic razors if you prefer milder razors. Also if you try a Feather Blade in there it just lifts the shave up to an almost perfect one IMHO.

Yeah used it right after I got home, honestly might be the best $15 I ever spent seems like a perfect match for my face, I have one feather blade left so I will definitely give it a try I loved that blade in my feather razor. I love the weight it has compared to the plastic feather and it feels like it will last another 50 years no problem

Top Bottom