What's new

What has my Semogue 620 done to me?

A little over a month ago, I bit the bullet and bought a Semogue 620. To make a long story short, it's the most amazing brush I've put on my face! I's everything I want in a brush! :001_tt1: As much as love my custom RV with TGN finest 2 band, I can't stop using the 620 exclusively. Which brings up another point, I hate using it everyday because the next day it still feels damp. I've been considering picking up another Semogue, maybe a 1305 or an SOC, but I just don't know if they'll fit my face like the 620 does so well.

Then this morning it hit me, why don't I just pick up another 620 and rotate the two of them? Anybody else have multiples of the same brush that they use consistently? Am I going to be missing out by not trying any other Semogue models?

Hi Alfbacca: Nice that U are liking your Semogue 620. I just recently purchased one and I gave it a test drive today and love it.

WARHAWK

I am right with you on the 620. I love it so much that I tried to sell my custom RV Shavemac D01 flattop on the BST (nobody bought it). Mine doesn't feel damp the next day, but I'm soon going to be buying another so I can send it off to Mr. Vey to put a custom handle on it, then do that with the original brush when I get the replacement back. I have either sold or PIF'd all my badger brushes since I got my 620.

That's a tough one. If you want to rotate brushes yet have a pretty similar brush I think Champion of Capua gives really good advice. I've heard that there are some slight differences between the 610 and 620 but think it'll be close enough that you'll like it. Here is a link to a comparison thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292712-Semogue-610-vs-Semogue-620

I don't think there is anything wrong with having 2 of the same brush. It would be nice to have some variety.

I have a SOC and love it. It's been threatening my favorite brush in my rotation. That being said, I imagine there is a big difference between the two. I think the handle of the SOC is really nice - it's pretty big and extremely ergonomical... but I imagine the face feel will be much different. The nice thing is though, on Vintage Scents the SOC is pretty inexpensive really for their highest end brush (other than the LEs) at only about $30 which includes shipping. You could try it out relatively inexpensively. And I think they're in demand enough if you really don't like it you can get a reasonable amount of $$$ back on the B/S/T

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Compared to my 830 the SOC has much more backbone, but the face feel is still soft scrubby.

I like it.

I'm sold! I love my Edwin Jagger badger brush, but I want to add another to my rotation. Where do I get this magical brush? Ebay has one or two for sale, good price, but does B&B have a vendor you guys recommend?

Super Dave

A little over a month ago, I bit the bullet and bought a Semogue 620. To make a long story short, it's the most amazing brush I've put on my face! I's everything I want in a brush! :001_tt1: As much as love my custom RV with TGN finest 2 band, I can't stop using the 620 exclusively. Which brings up another point, I hate using it everyday because the next day it still feels damp. I've been considering picking up another Semogue, maybe a 1305 or an SOC, but I just don't know if they'll fit my face like the 620 does so well.

Then this morning it hit me, why don't I just pick up another 620 and rotate the two of them? Anybody else have multiples of the same brush that they use consistently? Am I going to be missing out by not trying any other Semogue models?
At $24 get another 620. I have an 830 too but I'm also rotating several badgers. I love and enjoy brushes and have serious SBAD. Nevertheless, I haver never believed that the type of brush is really that important to shaving technique.

The 620 is the only boar brush I've really enjoyed using. Mine has continuously shed lots of hairs since it was new. Hopefully it was just a dud, I might try a new one.

You just sold me, too. Been debating between 620, 610 and 830. Thanks for making up my mind. BTW, how does the 620 do with bowl lathering (which I do as much as face lathering)?

You just sold me, too. Been debating between 620, 610 and 830. Thanks for making up my mind. BTW, how does the 620 do with bowl lathering (which I do as much as face lathering)?

I just started bowl lathering last week (I prefer face lathering) and even though I'm still working out the kinks, my 620 does a great job. The bowl I'm using is shallow enough that the brush doesn't get covered in lather and I'm still able to really dig in and build the lather. I think the key is using a bowl wide enough but not too deep.

Thanks for all the responses! At this point I am leaning towards another 620, but I never thought about the possibility of rehandling the knot. I'm cracking a smile just thinking about the 620 knot in a butterscotch handle :w00t:

There is another Semogue that has the same knot/height/etc with a different handle. If you want the same feel and performance but want a different handle you can do a search and come up with it. I can't remember the relationship between the different models but there are 2 that are the same brush with a different handle across the Semogue line from what I remember. This is what I would do rather than get the exact same brush.

EDIT:

A little digging brings up the 1520. Same knot same percentage tops but a painted wood handle instead of acrylic

620 and 1520 specs

21mm knot
50mm loft
75% premium tops

Same brush. Different handle

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom