What's new

What happens if you don't let your brush dry 100% between uses??

After a day the breech of my Omega 49 is still a little clumpy and damp, but all the bristles surrounding it are normal.

Am I avoiding mold and diseases by switching from my 49 to the old VDH every 24 hrs, or am I just paranoid?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
From a practical standpoint, something that stays wet for an xtended period of time can grow mildew, mold, smell, etc. Now, the brush is subject to hot water, soap, and agitation every day, so that may prevent the mold, mildew and smells from forming. From a parnoidical point of view, rotating my brushes makes me think it keeps the brush less moldy, mildewy and smelly. YMMV, as well as your level of paranoia.

I like to rotate my brushes because of the moisture...that and it makes me feel less insane for owning a dozen shaving brushes.

Many people get by with just one brush and seem to do fine, but if you keep it in a humid environment it could possibly be problematic. I keep mine out of the bathroom for this reason and they seem to dry out MUCH faster for me.

It's ok to use the same brush every day. Just take care when putting it up after use.

Mantic did a good video on this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRVZz83ago[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe the most important thing to take away from the video is to dry your brushes in a well ventilated area.

Up on a shelf - good. In the bathroom cupboard - bad.

In my experience nothing adverse happens to a brush used daily, even if it is still a bit damp from the day before. I was a one brush shaver for a couple of decades and that brush is still around with all of it's hair.

You blow up!

Really though, my grandfather just gave it a good shake and stuck in bristle down in the mug that held his soap and placed them back in the medicine cabinet. Best practice? Well, it worked with no ill effects for many years.

I have one daily use brush (my new Rudy Vey). I shake it out very well, dry the bristles on a towel by brushing them gently from breech to outside as though I was fanning it with my fingers, dry the handle, then brush the bristles out with my fingers a bit more and stand it on it's base on top of a tub of cream on my window ledge (which never gets sun, internal window) in my bathroom.

I am not in any way concerned about the brush getting completely dry. If it helps you justify additional brush purchases, fine.

It's ok to use the same brush every day. Just take care when putting it up after use.

Mantic did a good video on this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRVZz83ago[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe the most important thing to take away from the video is to dry your brushes in a well ventilated area.

Up on a shelf - good. In the bathroom cupboard - bad.

Wow...I can't believe I haven't seen this one!

So I guess this means I don't need to buy the Omega 56 as a backup anymore, huh? http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/omega-80056--two-c80056.html :001_rolle That's the one I was looking at but I think I'll wait. I'm not ready to spend more than $20 on a brush...yet. :thumbup1:

Well, even though I might blow up, I think I'll stick with my 49, solo. I've never tried drying it on a towel.

Top Bottom