What's new

WHAT happened to your very 1st DE razor?

Hi Gents: I hope all is well with you and your families. I have two questions for you. What was your very 1st DE razor? What happened to your very 1st DE razor?

I'll start. My very 1st DE razor was a mint condition 1974 black handled Gillette Super Speed in case. I absolutely loved that razor. However... since I bought an EJ89L (my very 1st modern day razor), I have not revisited or used the '74 Gillette Super Speed. I have been exclusively using my other razors. Even though it is not getting any love or action in my den, I refuse to let it go since it was my very first.

Maybe one day I will take it for another test drive. So... how 'bout you? What was your very 1st DE razor? Are you still using it? Is it still in your shaving den? Did you sell it? What's your story?

WARHAWK

Real Men Wear Pink: Proud supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Mine was a Merkur Progress I bought in 2007. Just have the Mergress conversion done on it and it is such a better balanced razor. Love it. In my regular rotation.

Mine was a Tech . My father has taken it over . He loves that razor . At least it's all in the family . For some reason , neither him or me can use a superspeed without bleeding .

I don't know.

Grew up with a Gillette Slim that I would practice shaving with and just play with, bladeless, of course.

It's disappeared over the years.

My 1st ('52 SS) and 2nd (Merkur 34G) are the only ones still in use. All that came after were sold or PIF'd. I didn't know enough to quit while I was ahead.

I bought a Ball end Tech and a Flare tip Superspeed as a lot on eBay 1 year ago. I sold the Tech. The SS is my travel razor.

My parents started me out on an electric, so these were the first DE's that I ever shaved with in my 50 years.

My daily was an all plastic affair from WIlkinson Sword, that was untill the wife broke it when cleaning the shower several years ago. I bought a LUX Tech clone and it's still in the den. I had to relearn all the angles and stuff with that one. Then a Futur and a progress which I sold then came along the 67 slim replated. It's been vintage Gillette or Merkur ever since for me.

Mine was a Ball End Tech, that was pifed to me by a forum member when I was a newbie. It was quite well worn, but shaved great. I have since had it re-plated, and it is a great shaver paired with a Cadet handle.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I still have it -- a Schick Krona, and I remember the day I bought it in 1970 at the Rexall Drug Store. Amazed that I never lost it.

Unfortunately I bought a back up and don't know which is which anymore. :001_unsur

Mine was a satin Futur, still have it, though I am thinking of selling it, it gets no love whatsoever, just my Joris and r41.

My first DE was a Gillette slim adjustable from 1963. Actually, the razor is from an uncle. I still remember that he came for a visit and forgot that razor in our house. Very soon after his visit he died, and that was in 1978. Nobody used that razor anymore but I often played with it when I was a child, because I liked how the razor is constructed and the TTO mechanism works.

I still own that razor, but I do not use it often.

Last edited:
EJ89.
Gave it to my son for his twelfth birthday, this September and it awaits in a box for his real first shave in a few years. Hee hee.
Had to get myself a used one to use as i still enjoy the shaves with one shim.

I wish I knew. Mine was an early 80's Super Adjustable that I used...well, in the early 80's. But my lack of DE experience and my teenage gusto combined into a nightmare series of bloody, terrible shaves. I think I flung that razor in the trash. I din't return to DE shaving for 30 years!

Mine was a '63 Tech made in England. I got it off of Razor Emporium because I had a 20% off coupon for it. I only used it a couple of times, now it just sits in my closet.

60's Flair tip SuperSpeed I got from my dad in the early 80's. I don't know what exact year it was, and unfortunately I misplaced it in the early 90's. I replaced it right away with a G1000 bought at a local grocery store, which was a bit of a let down in quality it seemed, compared to the SuperSpeed. I shaved on and off with it (intermixed with electric shaving) up until I found B&B in early 2011. After that, waaaay too many razors to mention :) .

Top Bottom