What's new

What happened to V-neck undershirts?

I used to own V neck undershirts that i wore when I didn't want the undershirt showing under my shirt with the top button opened. I recently went looking for some V neck shirts and the scoop neck is a lot higher and it can be easily seen under a shirt with top button opened. They all looked like that-Jockey, Hanes, Fruit of Loom etc.

I used to own V neck undershirts that i wore when I didn't want the undershirt showing under my shirt with the top button opened. I recently went looking for some V neck shirts and the scoop neck is a lot higher and it can be easily seen under a shirt with top button opened. They all looked like that-Jockey, Hanes, Fruit of Loom etc.

The 70s aren’t in Fashion anymore.
I Tried to look for some months back and I gave up. Look on Amazon don’t know if there what ur looking 4.

I'm a nerd. I only own crew neck t shirts.

But I usually am wearing a colored one with a plaid or other print color of button down shirt in cooler/cold months.
That's my routine with flannel shirts, to wear a dark-colored crew neck t-shirt underneath. I used to wear a white crew-neck t-shirt under all shirts, but the collars got discolored really quickly and later misshappen. It's now v-necks for me when wearing a white undershirt

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Seems the “v” became less severe once we left the “Guido the Killer Pimp” top-2-unbuttoned 1980s. Now using Fruit of the Loom’s long v-neck tees. The length keeps the tee tucked in, but can‘t unbutton 2 without exposing the tee. Or the red “S” on my chest.

53897201-ADC1-4DF6-AAF2-DBC4590FC917.jpg

I've never had a problem with Hanes V necks showing. I wear them under dress shirts, polos, Henleys - they never show.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I wear a shirt with the collar unbuttoned, it's a casual enough look that I not only don't mind the undershirt showing, but actually prefer that. It's sort of confirmation that yes, I am in fact wearing an undershirt rather than "going commando" shirt-wise.

proxy.php

I hear some guys taking the line about the undershirt being "underwear" and one ought to never see it. And in some way that makes sense ... up to a point. If you "shouldn't see it" then button up your shirt collar dag-nab it!

In this vein, you shouldn't be able to see my underwear either ... but ... if I wear my trousers so low that you can see the part of me where underwear ought to be ... and there's not underwear there ... well, that's not good.

proxy.php

So .. obviously IMHO the undershirt and underpants are not equally required to be hidden. It's just a t-shirt, after all, and we walk around in a fully visible t-shirt all the time.

The 70s called and took them back! 😉

Seriously, though, I haven't gone undershirt shopping in a while. When I did, I usually just bought crewnecks because they were abundant and cheap (I love Ross, Tj Maxx, etc.!). It's not that I'm averse to V-necks (I even have some V-neck shirts and sweaters), I just happen to prefer a crewneck in my undershirts. 🙂

I noticed the same thing with a v-neck outer wear t-shirt I bought this past summer. I got it for exercise and it was on sale and inexpensive compared to a crew neck, so I did not really care. When I tried it on I was surprised that it wore/fit much like a crew neck.

Top Bottom