What's new

What happened to taking your hat off inside?

I was raised that hats are not work inside. I raised my kids that hats are not worn inside. Thats just the what a gentleman does out of respect.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used to follow the take it off while inside rule, but no more. Many times it is just too awkward to carry it around in my hand. Definetly off in church, I just get a seat near the end of a pew so I can leave a little space to place it on the seat. As far as sit down restaurants, if there is an extra chair it comes off, if no place to safely place it it stays on my head. I will not place it on a table. Very few establishemts have safe manned hat checks any longer, so I choose safety for my hat.
Agreed. And whatever happened to coat checks anyway? We're surely going down hill as a culture. "Are the good times really over for good?" Merle Haggard.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I was raised that hats are not work inside. I raised my kids that hats are not worn inside. Thats just the what a gentleman does out of respect.
My Grandmother once threatened to skin me alive for forgetting to take my hat off in her house. And she'd have done it!

FarmerTan

I see that we were raised by people with similar thoughts!
She was a tough old German! Raised my Dad and 5 other kids alone after her husband died in 1935. NOBODY gave her grief. And I married a lady just like 28 years ago! My son is a gentleman at 16, no thanks to me! ...my brother has 2 ex wives, and tells everyone who'll listen that my wife is the ONLY woman that's ever scared him, lol. She's better than any man I've ever had at my back in a rough time, and I'm more afraid of her than in love wit her at this point in life. She tells me all the time that divorce is not an option, but murder is still on the table! And I've seen her chop heads off chickens and clean Rabbits in less than two minutes... So I know she could kill me and hide the body well enough to get away with it! So now you know why I behave when she's around!
Good manners are grounded in fear,lol.

Common sense applies.. in someone's house certainly, fast food no, malls/shopping no, church/funeral homes/etc.. yes.

I know I'm supposed to take it off, but I'm often wearing it to hide an unclean mess of hair, so I don't want to take it off when I'm out and about. Is this a fair reason?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Does it matter who you are?

$348FBF1700000578-3606980-image-a-57_1464104670802.jpg

Hat comes off if I sit down to eat at a resturant always. I jam it on my knee if I have no other options. Also if I go into someone else's home or my own. Usually I don't wear a hat to church anyways but if I go by the office during the week I take it off when I go in.

Top Bottom