What's new

What Happened to Blade Prices?

First the almost annual rumor about PolSilver SI blades being discontinued (which may now be true?).

Then I try a purchase 100 Gillette Premium blades. $40? $46?

Why?

I got Wizamet SI recently, 2packs 250 each for $85, that's 17$ for 100ct for a supposedly discontinued blade.

There is always a difference between the price the seller asks for and the price he is actually able to sell for.
Some customers are stupid enough to pay outragous prices because they think they "must have" that otherwise unobtainium item :facep:
If someone is willing to significantly overpay without doing the legwork and do some research on prices, well ...not from my wallet.:biggrin1:

I got Wizamet SI recently, 2packs 250 each for $85, that's 17$ for 100ct for a supposedly discontinued blade.

There is always a difference between the price the seller asks for and the price he is actually able to sell for.
Some customers are stupid enough to pay outragous prices because they think they "must have" that otherwise unobtainium item :facep:
If someone is willing to significantly overpay without doing the legwork and do some research on prices, well ...not from my wallet.:biggrin1:
I wouldn't say they're stupid. It's all relative and some people put a price on time spent doing research and leg work and make their decision with that as a cost factor, and generally the more money they have to spend the higher the value they place on their time.
That said I did an enormous amount of research and leg work to acquire my multiple lifetime stash of vintage blades at costs at or under modern options. Per shave that is.

I noticed that there’s a vendor on Amazon that sells a 2 pack of the 100 count (green label) pack of derby blades for about $16 yet another vendor has the 200 count (blue label) pack for $10. Does it really cost derby ~1.5x as much to package blades in a 5 blade tuck versus a 10 blade tuck?

I am generally of the opinion that smarter vendor's are looking at places like B & B and paying attention to what the "hot" blades are, and slowly & quietly raise their prices accordingly. What the market will bear, I think they call it.
I think a long dead Scottish man name Adam Smith wrote an intensely boring book on this very subject...

I am not an old hand at this by any measure, but I have been around long enough to have gotten my Voskhods and Nacets quite cheaply ( hint... Buy in quantity overseas...), and I paid a whole lot less for my stash of Polsiver Irridiums than their current insane prices.

Looking at the blade threads on B&B right now, some of which I am participating in, I would watch the prices of Tatra's, Tiger's, Dorco Prime Platinum, and Silver Stars. I think they might rise in coming months.

DCJ

It does seem like the prices are all over the market lately, there are still good deals to be had out there. I picked up some Astra Greens for under 7 bucks and German Wilkinsons for under 20 on amazon and had them delivered within 2 days. Its taken 3 years to truly appreciate the Astra blade, I had received a bundle of them when I bought my first DE kit and they just did not work for me, after getting my routine more dialed in and finding my go-to razor (6c) the lowly Astra Green has become a solid blade that really works for me and delivers a smooth drama-free shave.

So a few things to be aware of:

1. Online shopping often yields different prices for different people based on your traffic to that website or the content you search for. Hence if you are searching GSBs multiple times over a month or few months the price may start out good, then drop since you haven’t purchased. Then once you decide to purchase, the next time you search that product it will be higher than all previous prices anticipating your assumption they have the lowest price or your habit is to purchase from them. It is called dynamic pricin. I bought 100 gillette platinums for $10 a couple months ago, and now they are $16.85 when I search.

2. Amazon has multiple sellers for any given product product and they can also name their prices. You can sell a Muhle R89 on there and opt to list it for $39 and I can list the same product for $119 if I choose. You can often look and see the prices for a product available though other sellers when you are on the page. Some but not all items for sale on amazon are sold by amazon, some are just fulfilled by amazon and others are merely brokered through amazon.

Doggone Rusty, that's like what I said, only with technology...

I am so stuck in the 20th century. My kids are right.

I don't buy mainstream popular blades because for me their performance was sub par. This is fortunate because I was able to obtain my top 3 blades inexpensively and their price is always low should I need more.

Apparently supply & demand. Amazon is a good indicator of the market, since their prices vary frequently. Currently you can get 100 Astra SP's for $6.69, Wilkinson Swords for $8.96, BUT the usually $6-7 Voskhods are going for $14.97 - go figure

Top Bottom