What's new

What Happened to Blade Prices?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
First the almost annual rumor about PolSilver SI blades being discontinued (which may now be true?).

Then I try a purchase 100 Gillette Premium blades. $40? $46?

Why?

First the almost annual rumor about PolSilver SI blades being discontinued (which may now be true?).

Why?
The usual greed of the distributors combined with forum fueled cultish, ill informed demand for particular blades. Plenty of other blades at $7-s15/100 still not hard to procure.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I find Gillette’s generally cost more than everything else. But if you shop around you can find good prices. I recently scored a 100 pack of GSB’s in the new packaging from an eBay store for < $14 shipped. Located in NY!

Polsilvers and Wizamets......those seem kind of crazy so I have never bothered to try them. I came here to Save money after all, tried to at least.

☺️

Hardly. 7'Oclock Yellows $11 delivered on Amazon. I just paid $12 for Green SS. Nacet are $12 from IB.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

agreed. They seem available at an average market price for a good blade excluding the out of production varieties.

Supply and demand. As @jmudrick said, when forums consistently praise certain blades, demand increases. Overseas production won't increase because US demand of DE blades is minuscule compared to countries where DE shaving is still common--so our increase is probably not even noticeable. US sellers just increase the prices to balance their supply and demand. If your favorite blade is a forum darling, then you'll be paying more than if you looked for another blade you like. Personally, I've found several that work for me and just buy whichever is cheapest when the need arises.

I just got some lord platinums for $7/100.

blades are the cheapest they’ve been in 20 years. These threads always confuse me.

I paid $40 for 100 Gillette platinums in 2009. I still have the PayPal receipt. And that WAS a good deal back then.

you are living in the cheapest/widest availability era of double edge blades ever.

Astra SP are like $6.89/100 on Amazon with free shipping. Unfortunately my preferred Lab Blues are up around $14-15/100. Still, that's a lot of shaves for the price of like 3 Fusion cartridges.

@Raven Koenes Thanks for the Razor Blades Club link!

Great seller, but anticipate customs delays with COVID . My last order in late March was shipped the day after I ordered, but took a month to get to the US from Frankfort, Germany. I have over 700 blades, so I was in no hurry to get them and never bothered to alert the seller. Not his fault. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.

Great seller, but anticipate customs delays with COVID . My last order in late March was shipped the day after I ordered, but took a month to get to the US from Frankfort, Germany. I have over 700 blades, so I was in no hurry to get them and never bothered to alert the seller. Not his fault. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.

I’m currently sitting on 8+ years of blades so not in a huge hurry, but thanks for the heads up! My last Connaught order took a month also, yet arrived safely with quality products inside.

☺️

RazorBladeClub is a good seller. Especially for picking up Platinums.

imho blades are very cheap right now compared to 5 or 10 years ago. GSBs for $13, Nacets for $9, it's crazy. Some of these blades used to be $30-40 or higher.

Polsilvers have always been weird. Probably 99 % due to mob-like panic buying ginned up right here on B&B $100 for Pols is just dumb. I love Polsilvers but there are a half dozen other Gillette blades that provide a ballpark similar shave, starting with the very similar GSB that most people probably couldn't tell from a Polsilver in a blind test, with GSB's now being 1/7th the cost of Polsilver. I mean c'mon on ...

The only blade I would pay more than $15/100 for is KAI. Even those are down from their lofty perch of a few years ago to a relatively sane $35/100 now.

I think Polsilver is not a good data point for blade prices because it's really the outlier in the overall trend downward.

RazorBladeClub is a good seller. Especially for picking up Platinums.

imho blades are very cheap right now compared to 5 or 10 years ago. GSBs for $13, Nacets for $9, it's crazy. Some of these blades used to be $30-40 or higher.

Polsilvers have always been weird. Probably 99 % due to mob-like panic buying ginned up right here on B&B $100 for Pols is just dumb. I love Polsilvers but there are a half dozen other Gillette blades that provide a ballpark similar shave, starting with the very similar GSB that most people probably couldn't tell from a Polsilver in a blind test, with GSB's now being 1/7th the cost of Polsilver. I mean c'mon on ...

The only blade I would pay more than $15/100 for is KAI. Even those are down from their lofty perch of a few years ago to a relatively sane $35/100 now.

I think Polsilver is not a good data point for blade prices because it's really the outlier in the overall trend downward.
I haven’t used a Kai in some time. The first time I used one I thought to myself that it was just sharp and nothing else, just sharp on top of sharp. Kinda felt dangerous. Now I want to dig one up and load that sucker.

In regards to Gillette Platinum I would advise anyone not located in Eastern Europe to avoid buying from the interwebs due to unnecessarily high prices and try in brick and mortar retail stores. You can find a hundred pack for 10-12 dollars.
I can count myself lucky as in Eastern Europe even on the web on some local websites (not ebay, Amazon or other global websites) you can find them for about the same price. They're also much easier to find than Polsilver or Nacet, for example, so shouldn't be an issue.

Plenty of other blades out there at competitive prices. Supply chains have been disrupted and some vendors have been raising online prices through greed. Astra SP or 7 O'Clock SharpEdge are worth considering but Polsilver SI are at ridiculous prices.

Top Bottom