What's new

What happened in 1980?

The rise of the ubiquitous Chia Pet. Those tiny seeds are actually transmitters controlled by The Illuminati. Subliminal microwave messages are sent to the masses urging them to eat more, subsequently making them more idle and therefore more easily manipulated for nefarious purposes.

And Moon Pies®.

Last edited:
The rise of the ubiquitous Chia Pet. Those tiny seeds are actually transmitters controlled by The Illuminati. Subliminal microwave messages are sent to the masses urging them to eat more, subsequently making them more idle and therefore more easily manipulated for nefarious purposes.And Moon Pies®.
Finally, someone who talks reason. I think they have been colluding with aliens to implant bacteria that leads to obesity.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The rise of the ubiquitous Chia Pet. Those tiny seeds are actually transmitters controlled by The Illuminati. Subliminal microwave messages are sent to the masses urging them to eat more, subsequently making them more idle and therefore more easily manipulated for nefarious purposes.

And Moon Pies®.
I knew it- that is why I have never owned one, and only drink grain alcohol and rain water.

The 70s were a time of austerity. There were multiple gas shortages. Inflation was high and growth was low "stagflation". in 1979-80 the Federal Reserve tightened the money supply. Interest rates went sky high. This brought the country into recession but eventually wrung inflation out of the economy. Once this was over people started to feel better again. I guess they got hungry after all that. :001_cool:

Look up Ancel Keys and his foul studies for the sugar industry in the 70s. This mislead the diet of a whole country to low fat and high sugar.
This and HFCS and processed food and the lack of exercise of course.
HFCS will be turned into fat more than sugar and also suppresses the feeling of satiety.

P.S. Never ever listen to nutrition studies. They're all crap and most of the time paid by companies. If you see one in a magazine, don't read it. It's crap.

1980 was the start of global warming, which is apparently the cause of any and all issues in the world today.

Also, Russia is somehow behind all of this.

Significant world starvation in the 70s early eighties brought about genetically modified dwarf wheat. Done in good faith I would argue though turned out to be highly misguided in many opinions. A surplus was harnessed and distributed. Americans received the brunt of the genetically modified surplus. Wheat along with corn, soy, and their byproducts became a staple in the standard American diet. Scientifically reviewed research papers show that these food staples show significant contribution to obesity, diabetes, cancer, life threatening food born allergies, that all fall into the category of autoimmune disease. Add this to a sedentary lifestyle and lack of sleep and you begin to see epidemic patterns. This of course is not stated as law but nearly a hypotheses backed up with data. You can find heaps of scientific papers in JAMA or sources that you trust that target wheat consumption leading to inflammation.

...the only time I see kids is when they are standing in line for the bus.
Wow, they stand out in line for the bus, like on the road where they might be hit by a car or something? Amazing!

In the 80's we had 2 bus stops in the neighborhood. The kids on this half the neighborhood walked to this bus stop and that half the neighborhood walked to that bus stop. Those 2 stops were a full bus.

Today, it's 15 cars sitting at the intersection with the kids sitting in it waiting for the bus. Even the house that is at the corner of the bus stop the kid is driven the 12 feet and is sitting in the car waiting.

We even had kids walk the "main roads" to stand at a centrally located bus stop. Today the bus will drop one kid off, shut the door and turn the lights off, move literally 3 feet, turn the lights on, open the door, and the next kid gets off.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
If memory serves, 1980 was the year that the USFDA came out with their new "fat is bad, cholesterol is bad, carbs are good" food guidelines... and that really messed people up.

How can @Doc4 say all this about the USFDA?

That person comes from Canada.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The 80's...... well I drunk a lot and partied hard. This was all offset by playing sports and working hard.
Life was in balance.
Now I eat hard and watch sport. Guess what the result is. :letterk1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom