What's new

What happened in 1980?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I don't eat too much sugar or too many carbs. Hardly ever snack. Work out 6 days a week. Not one who sits around a lot. I'm still up almost 30# since 1980. Trying to lose 10-15 of those.

Cell phones got small enough and cheap enough in the '90's. When kids started carrying them they stopped doing active things.
Growth hormones in all of our meat isn't very helpful, and now there are all sorts of hormones in our drinking water.

I have read that plastics, or some component in plastics have influenced our metabolism causing us to gain weight. Or maybe some chemical in food processing has affected us.

Certainly there are more cars on the road (per capita), more availability of calorie rich food, and there are definitely more fast food places around now than when I was a kid. We also spend more time in front of a screen (tv and computer) now than ever before.

Herbicides, pesticides, GMO's, all fish contains Mercury, remember acid rain? Hasn't gone away. Food shipped 3,000 miles before it's ripe, Thalates, parabens, tryclosan in your toothpaste. Meat animals confined, dosed with antibiotics and growth hormones.

I'm going to go put on my tin foil hat now.
Makes Vodka sound like health food!

Herbicides, pesticides, GMO's, all fish contains Mercury, remember acid rain? Hasn't gone away. Food shipped 3,000 miles before it's ripe, Thalates, parabens, tryclosan in your toothpaste. Meat animals confined, dosed with antibiotics and growth hormones.

I'm going to go put on my tin foil hat now.
Makes Vodka sound like health food!
Hmmmm...all of a sudden I seem to have lost my appetite. Where do we keep the tin foil...

Xbox...Playstation...potatoes considered vegetables...over consumption of sugar...fast food is a mainstay of cuisine...8,972 television channels...lack of parental upbringing...more Phys Ed classes in school tossed to the wayside...lack of child creativity...everything can be fixed with a pill instead of diet and exercise...work is now sitting in front of a computer for eight to ten hours a day...and so much more...

And believe me...almost all of this applies to me. That is why I can stand to lose about 75 pounds.

This!

In about that time the electronic revolution began and kids found there was no need to leave the couch for entertainment. Prior to 1980 if you wanted to occupy yourself you got up and did something. Now you can find kids that literally haven't moved from the spot they planted themselves in for many hours, bordering on the entire day!

On the upside, the video game revolution and introduction of the internet virtually eliminated the age old practice of the prank phone call. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :eek2:

This!

In about that time the electronic revolution began and kids found there was no need to leave the couch for entertainment. Prior to 1980 if you wanted to occupy yourself you got up and did something. Now you can find kids that literally haven't moved from the spot they planted themselves in for many hours, bordering on the entire day.

I can relate to this. I was 8 in 1980. I lived in the desert and would play outside all day, chasing lizards, or making dirt mound BMX jumps & track. My bike or feet took me everywhere I wanted to go. All day, everyday. About that time, Atari came along. Then Dad got a HBO box. Then we got a VCR around '83. Entertainment moved inside and physical activity dropped significantly.

I was born in 1965. I remember being kick out of the house early every morning during the summer. I was only allowed in for lunch and dinner. I played little league golf, football, hockey, baseball, etc.

I guess the bottom line is around 1980 we started eating more and moving less. Though I am still leaning toward the alien bacteria theory...

I don't know if I have the answer (although I like many of the suggestions above), but I can tell you that the abdominal physical exam techniques I learned in 2000 and the few years after that are now worthless. Just get a CT scan, because you couldn't feel a basketball-sized tumor beneath all that fat. It is amazing how universal it seems to be. No exception here - I'm always fighting the battle of the bulge.

I don't have a citation, but I'd think sometime right around this time - I started research with HFCS in 83 - the united states was in the midst of a corn crop glut and were seeking solutions. Big agra became focused on how to reduce spoilage and reduce volumetric storage (as like when crops were found to be great sources of alcohol by use of fermentation) while maintaining the governmental subsidies established in the eras after the great depression and central states dustbowl weather / agriculture phenomena. One of the resulting products High Fructose Corn Syrup immediately was sold as a tool to create better efficiencies in manufacture of many many food products. The percentage change in additional, easy to digest, hormonally difficult for the human body to respond accurately, pure sugar is gaining traction in a causative relationship for metabolic syndrome and pre diabetes. Then add the change in how parents manage children and their safety/metabolism/food choices and we have a strong base for the perceived geometric change in baseline weight of people in 1st world nations.

1) HFCS and the inclusion of sweeteners in just about everything (to mask the preservatives)
2) Everybody's a desk jockey these days
3) Video gaming and cable TV increased sedentary entertainment options
4) No more home ec classes, so people have to rely more and more on eating prepackaged or prepared food
5) More split families, resulting in more parents having to "do it all" and not having the time or energy to be active with their family
6) Reduced prices of high-cal food due to regulation and improved technology
7) Increased alcohol consumption as social binge drinking has become more socially acceptable/required

Inactivity of children and a work force that sits the majority of the day. I saw a photo of a relatives wedding that was held recently and the wedding party was at least 30% bigger than we were at that age. One of the bridesmaids was at least 300 lbs plus and a few of the guys were close.

I always tell my wife we live in a neighborhood of invisible children this time of year. I never see them out playing and the only time I see kids is when they are standing in line for the bus. What I have noticed is kids are either fit or out of shape, no in-between . The fit kids are in sports and the out of shape kids play video games and spend more time on computers.

Inactivity of children and a work force that sits the majority of the day. I saw a photo of a relatives wedding that was held recently and the wedding party was at least 30% bigger than we were at that age. One of the bridesmaids was at least 300 lbs plus and a few of the guys were close.

I always tell my wife we live in a neighborhood of invisible children this time of year. I never see them out playing and the only time I see kids is when they are standing in line for the bus. What I have noticed is kids are either fit or out of shape, no in-between . The fit kids are in sports and the out of shape kids play video games and spend more time on computers.
Sad really...what will become of our children in the future? Young people are presenting with diseases (diabetes, fatty liver disease, heart disease, high blood pressure) that were only affecting older people when I was a kid.

When I was a kid, there was one fat kid in our whole school. Now when I pick up my son, i look around and see chubby kids all over the place. I don't think they play as much as we did when we were children. Afterschool i'd be gone for hours! Once our homework was done all we knew was that we didn't have to be back until dinner time.

January 1993 - Release of the NCSA Mosaic (v. 0.5) web browser, which simplified the inclusion of inline images and clickable links in text.
"It has been credited with popularizing the World Wide Web." - Wikipedia

When I was a kid, there was one fat kid in our whole school. Now when I pick up my son, i look around and see chubby kids all over the place. I don't think they play as much as we did when we were children. Afterschool i'd be gone for hours! Once our homework was done all we knew was that we didn't have to be back until dinner time.

Same here.. I was fishing or playing in a neighborhood ball game. We were gone until lunch and supper, then out until the street lights came on.

Top Bottom