What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Started raining lastnight and still raining now.

2 batches Costa Rica La Minita inside under the range hood.

proxy.php

Costa Rica Chica la Roca, 12oz in Behmor on 1# P1 setting. We'll see how long it takes for 1st crack on it's own. I did preheat so it got up to temp quicker.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Costa Rica Chica la Roca, 12oz in Behmor on 1# P1 setting. We'll see how long it takes for 1st crack on it's own. I did preheat so it got up to temp quicker.

The last 3 roasts I've pre-heated 1:20. Run P1 (auto) until 2nd or 3rd "pop" of first crack then switched to manual P3. Then for the last min P1 manual (burner off).

I'm just starting to get in the swing of Behmor "anticipation". One thing I have learned. DON'T WAIT. If you "think" it is time to react you are going to be too late and burn the roast.

Not bad on auto "max" then slowing down the roast with lower heat.

The last 3 roasts I've pre-heated 1:20. Run P1 (auto) until 2nd or 3rd "pop" of first crack then switched to manual P3. Then for the last min P1 manual (burner off).

I'm just starting to get in the swing of Behmor "anticipation". One thing I have learned. DON'T WAIT. If you "think" it is time to react you are going to be too late and burn the roast.

Not bad on auto "max" then slowing down the roast with lower heat.

It started first crack at 17 mins then take a of shortly after I hit C. I had not changed the temp so it should have kept cracking since it only had about 5 audible pops. After about 45 secs with no more sounds I bumped the temp up with p4 manual and got to the start of 2nd crack at 21 mins.

Not sure if I need to bump the heat a bit to get 1st crack rolling then decrease or what exactly. I've always had much better luck with 4oz batches but it doesn't last very long.

I don't have a scale here so going by volume.

Shy of 2 cups "guestamate" 14 oz.

This seems to be the "sweet spot" for my 1600+ roaster

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Another 1/2# of La Minita in the new Hottop 2k+.

This is my fourth roast in a week's time in the new rig, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I enjoyed the Behmor quite a bit, as well, mind you, but the Hottop provides a more engaging roast with customized automation and a tremendous amount of real time information.

Just got my last order from Sweet Maria's that included

Guatemala Proyecto Xinabajul "La Viuda" Evelia
India Ratnagiri Pearl Mountain Peaberry
Yemen Mokha Matari

And a surprise:

IMG_20181026_184315.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181026_184301.jpg
    IMG_20181026_184301.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've roasted a couple of 1/2# batches of La Minita over the last couple of days. I think I'm starting to try to get the knack of this Hottop and having some fun varying a roast.

Came back with 2 days of pre ground Costa Rican. Found a lost tight-vac can of Etheopian. no lable on the vac but one smell and I knew. One sip confirmed.

Now roasting two 400 gram batches of Costa Rican. In the Hottop.

2018-11-10_hottop.jpeg

@Mick, How old was that lost tight-vac can of Ethiopian? And how did you like it compared to when it was first roasted?

I ask because on a couple of occasions I have had 5-6 week old coffee and found that it was still quite good/fresh tasting.

@Mick, How old was that lost tight-vac can of Ethiopian? And how did you like it compared to when it was first roasted?

I ask because on a couple of occasions I have had 5-6 week old coffee and found that it was still quite good/fresh tasting.

It was old. Old as in grocery store fresh.

Dated June 18th as the roast date.

Smelled like natural Etheopian. Taste like natural Etheopian. Only enough for 2 pots in the Bunn.

Better than no coffee.

4 half lb batches of La Minita. I bought 40# of this variety as this year seems to have been an exceptional crop.

Back at casa Mick Süd so using the Hottop.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
250 g of Rwanda Kibingo

20190112_200901.jpg

My first roast of the new year and my first with this bean. I dropped it a little early after getting a bit nervous that I was taking it too far, but I loved the way it smelled when I did drop it. I look forward to trying it out.

@Mick, how do you go about roasting that La Minita in your Hottop? I still have a few pounds left. I like what I've been doing with it, but I also want to mix things up, learn a thing or two, and maybe even find something I enjoy as much or more. If appreciate your insights, as you have a great deal of experience both with the same roaster and bean.

@Mick, how do you go about roasting that La Minita in your Hottop? I still have a few pounds left. I like what I've been doing with it, but I also want to mix things up, learn a thing or two, and maybe even find something I enjoy as much or more. If appreciate your insights, as you have a great deal of experience both with the same roaster and bean.

I've been taking my roasts to 380-385° which takes around 13-14 minutes.

I need to roast tomorrow. I can save and post my profile if you would like to see it.

Top Bottom