What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Nice looking set up. How many roasts on it so far?

You should start a sticky titled "show off your coffee roasting set up"

I think that would be nice. Everyone can post what they are using and what they think of it AND what they want to change/modify (or have changed/modified)

I got about 25 roasts on it. Not exactly the hundreds I had on using a pot, but in some ways, it's fun to "start over".

I need to get better pics and I will start a thread.

-jim

I've been using my SF-1 electric for a few weeks now

The coffee development and flavors I am getting seems good. Not exceptional..... yet....

I only have a BT probe in the drum as the dial gauge looked "too cool" to replace it with a probe. I may put the probe in for ET (bought it then changed my mind) and hook up Artisan through the Amprobe TMD-56 datalogger to help get a better handle on the roast as it progresses.

I have been using a manual paper roast log and recording temp and burner settings at each minute interval.

Today's Roast:

1 lb Sweet Maria's Rwanda Mutovu cooperative

I pre heat the roaster using 50% burner so that I get a good stable temp of all the steel. Once the BT probe reads 200º I ramp the burner up to 80% which is what I have been using as my baseline burner setting so far.

Drop beans @ 250º - Burner 80%

1 min : 138º - lowest BT temp
2 min : 168º
3 min : 207º
4 min : 242º
5 min : 272º - Burner lowered to 60%
6 min : 300º
7 min : 327º
8 min : 350º
9 min : 371º - 9 min 30 sec 1st crack (385º) - Burner lowered to 50%
10 mn: 390º - 10 min 15 sec start of 2nd crack (398º) - Burner OFF
11 mn: 405º - Dumped beans

Roast right at city + No oils. Nice aroma. Good even roast. Good bean development.

Pic of beans in the hopper ready to drop

proxy.php

I recently roasted more of the Brazilian. A picture of the last three roasts completed in left to right order, along with a rough estimate of their roast level. I enjoyed an Americano from this most recent FC+ roast today.
proxy.php

I kept the bbq temp down around the 520 range till around the 10 minute mark where I let it slowly rise by itself and got to FC at 11:30. Terminated the temp around 13:00 and let it spin with lid off till 14:00 and then a quick cool down. Nicest looking roast I've done in a while.

$20150526_174831.jpg

$20150526_213202.jpg

-jim

A friend's daughter is coming over this morning to roast some Ethiopian Ardi (what I'm drinking as I write this) for her two favorite teachers. She graduates HS and wants to give them a gift of fresh coffee for all their help.

$beans.jpg$20150611_124044-1.jpg

Greetings all.
Back up and roasting with another breadmaker/heat gun "corretto" set up.
I have used several methods from pop corn maker >> Hottop>> Commercial Has Garanti 5kg and many others and this is always the winner.
The roast is a little lighter than it looks in photo and I really was guessing as the temp probe was sitting slightly above the bean mass.
I only used 500gms of beans in as it was just a trial run and didn't expect a result with and all new setup.
The sweet spot of the big loaf BM is 650gms but it can do 900gms at a push.
First crack was at 13mins (new variable temp heat gun was too far from the beans and has now been lowered)
The early snaps of Second crack was at 17mins and I pulled roast seconds later.

Will be interesting to sample in a few days time but I am picking the first ramp was too long and beans maybe partially baked :(

PS: the picture of the set up was taken just as I got the main items together. I actually set it up outside and had a fan blowing across the heat gun and no frame around the top of the pan just the lid direct.

Last edited:
Last night I pulled the big dial gauge off and replaced it with another thermocouple.

proxy.php

proxy.php

now I can log my roasts on the computer once again.

Mexican Chiapas beans

proxy.php

Broke out the Hottop and did an automated roast of some Mexican to about city level.

I put together a new cart system as it was just too much of a pita to move it piece at a time, set it up, roast, then break it all down again.

Now I'm back to pushing out, roasting, pushing back in.

Life is good once again at Casa Mick

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My roaster, a San Franciscan SF6. I had it tweaked when they manufactured it: the bean probe is lower and closer to the bottom, so I can roast smaller amounts of beans. I have a manual air damper to control airflow (mine was the first, now they all have em). And it has a hole under the cooling tray to hook up a separate fan, if I want to blast through batches at higher speed (since cooling and roasting share a fan). It's set up to use artisan roast logging, of course. It's many times better than the BBQ roaster I had over 10k batches on!

proxy.php

My roaster, a San Franciscan SF6. I had it tweaked when they manufactured it: the bean probe is lower and closer to the bottom, so I can roast smaller amounts of beans. I have a manual air damper to control airflow (mine was the first, now they all have em). And it has a hole under the cooling tray to hook up a separate fan, if I want to blast through batches at higher speed (since cooling and roasting share a fan). It's set up to use artisan roast logging, of course. It's many times better than the BBQ roaster I had over 10k batches on!

Do you control your SF-6 with Artisan or do you just log and control burner / damper manually?

I've been contemplating redoing my SF-1 to allow Artisan to control the burner rather than to just be a logger.

I'm not sure of the cost/benefit with more mods as I would need to replace my current controller wiht something that can handle DC in to run the SSRs. My roaster is 240vac electric not gas so should be simpler to mod than a gas valve model.

Mine is propane, so that would be a difficult mod. I log and control manually. I don't always use Artisan, either, because I buy a lot of 50lb lots, which can be as few as 10 batches. No point in logging something that'll be gone so soon.

Are you happy with your SF?

Costa Rica Royal Select Water Processed Decaf. I bought it 5 years ago, as something to drink in the evening, but it has been sitting in a burlap sack ever since. My first attempt at roasting it.

How did it turn out? I have a hard time roasting decaf - usually by the time I hear the first crack, it's already over roasted.

-jim

The Coasta Rican decaf appeared to roast pretty well. Used the Behmor 1600 and its P4 profile setting. 1st crack was well defined and not too rushed or too stretched out, but 2nd crack did start sooner than expected which is when I stopped. The roast smells good, but I will not try drinking any until the weekend.

I was surprised there was no chaff, I guess the decaffeination process is responsible for removing it and giving the green beans such an 'off' color.

proxy.php

I usually roast in the range of a half-pound to 12 ounces in my Behmor, but I found that I could roast full pounds when roasting decaf. Upping the bean load seemed to help prevent the decaf beans from rushing into second crack straight after first and seemed to give me a better roast.

I just got some Yemen Marquaha green coffee and am looking forward to roasting it soon.

Thanks for the tip on roasting decaf in the Behmor, your suggestion about upping the volume makes sense.

My 5 year old decaf did not make a very good espresso, only a little crema and not very flavorful, but it still tasted like coffee. It worked a better in a pour-over, but still nothing to get excited about. I will finish it off by mixing with other beans in my late day pourovers. I will try roasting it again next month.

Top Bottom