What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Cpl batches panama elida specialty bean, they darker! Inside light makes them look lighter
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking forward to this, just picked up 5 lbs.

Just ran two batches of Indonesian Gr. 1 Sumatra Mandheling Tempisi. Roasted half dark and half medium dark. Will see how it is in the next few days.

Nice variety! I found the Tarrazu I tried to be almost flavorless, but it's been a while. I prefer the Huehuetango coffees to the Atitlan Guatemalas, although Guatemala is the best coffee in the world as far as I'm concerned (and the opinion of the manager of the Central American Division of General Mills in the 60's, who was a personal friend of the family).

You will have fun with those I'm sure.

Just bought, yesterday, 10 pounds of Mexico La Laja Honey Processed greens from the Coffee Bean Corral.
Haven't had honey processed bean yet and the flavor notes sounded good.
Chocolate, Sweet Orange and Deep Caramel with Big Creamy Body.
My wife said that this will count as my Valentine's day present.

Weather has been bad for coffee roasting outside this month, but I did manage to roast a few days ago when the temperature rose into the 50's...just as the deep freeze was making its way into the deep south.

Thought I was going to be forced to drink this 10 year old coffee.....Not really, but I did use it to play around with some grinder settings. With a use by date of 9/15/12, I estimate it is around 10 years old. How did that get stuck in the back of the cabinet for so long :117:.
eight-oclock-decaf-10-years_20210212.jpg

Sitting outside in the driveway roasting coffee right now.

It's a brisk 72° day. Right at the cusp of T-shirt or unbuttoned cotton long sleeved shirt. Right now T-shirt is winning.
20210224_141137-01.jpeg

Hmm, snow on the ground wearing a polar fleece... used the 2kg roaster to make 2.1kg of greens into yummy espresso for the week.

Just ordered 10 pounds of Rwanda Maboro greens.
Will be, because I'll be using the last of my last roast today, roasting some La Laja honey processed today.

Hmm, snow on the ground wearing a polar fleece... used the 2kg roaster to make 2.1kg of greens into yummy espresso for the week.

Do you have a propane catalytic heater?

Good investment for this and emergencies to safely keep warm

We are starting to get blooms

Screenshot_20210222-193031_Weather-01.jpeg

Will be, because I'll be using the last of my last roast today, roasting some La Laja honey processed today
Will be, because I'll be using the last of my last roast today, roasting some La Laja honey processed today.
Just finished roasting 8 ounces of the La Laja. Decided to roast it to a blonde/cinnamon roast since the fragrance up to that point from my last roast smelled delicious.
Hopefully the flavor is in par with the scent! Didn't even start first crack.
Here's a comparison of today's roast compared to greens and the level of roast I normally prefer.
20210225_092733.jpg

Will be, because I'll be using the last of my last roast today, roasting some La Laja honey processed today

Just finished roasting 8 ounces of the La Laja. Decided to roast it to a blonde/cinnamon roast since the fragrance up to that point from my last roast smelled delicious.
Hopefully the flavor is in par with the scent! Didn't even start first crack.
Here's a comparison of today's roast compared to greens and the level of roast I normally prefer.
View attachment 1228301
That is quite a difference from your usual roast. I hope you will report back later as to whether this roast was good or was it too grassy, etc. I hope it is good.

Do you have a propane catalytic heater?

Good investment for this and emergencies to safely keep warm

We are starting to get blooms

View attachment 1228285
I don't have a heater, but the roaster is powered by propane so when it is cold you hang out closer to the roaster :biggrin1: I could hook up the chaff separator and that would radiate a bunch of heat. Most times I don't use the chaff separator because I don't care if the duct just throws chaff in the field next to the shop.

That is quite a difference from your usual roast. I hope you will report back later as to whether this roast was good or was it too grassy, etc. I hope it is good.
Well, I won't hold in suspense then. I didn't care for it, so I'll roast it more.
Normally I allow my roast to off gas for at least 24 hours, but in this instance I couldn't wait.
What I've learned is that blonde coffee doesn't smell remotely like coffee when being brewed and that anyone who enjoys the way it tastes, or doesn't tastes, must really hate coffee flavored coffee. This stuff tastes a lot like really old stale hotel coffee.
To make it drinkable I added some vanilla extract, cream, and sugar to it. Now it took on a sweet toffee flavor that still doesn't resemble coffee at all.
Maybe I'll take to first crack and try it again. This is what makes home roasting fun, experimenting.

Well, I won't hold in suspense then. I didn't care for it, so I'll roast it more.
Normally I allow my roast to off gas for at least 24 hours, but in this instance I couldn't wait.
What I've learned is that blonde coffee doesn't smell remotely like coffee when being brewed and that anyone who enjoys the way it tastes, or doesn't tastes, must really hate coffee flavored coffee. This stuff tastes a lot like really old stale hotel coffee.
To make it drinkable I added some vanilla extract, cream, and sugar to it. Now it took on a sweet toffee flavor that still doesn't resemble coffee at all.
Maybe I'll take to first crack and try it again. This is what makes home roasting fun, experimenting.
Yes, it is fun to experiment. I once roasted a coffee only to the beginning of 1st crack, not just a single pop but as it was starting to ramp up and I found it too grassy/hay tasting to enjoy.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, it is fun to experiment. I once roasted a coffee only to the beginning of 1st crack, not just a single pop but as it was starting to ramp up and I found it too grassy/hay tasting to enjoy.

Isn't that pretty much what a blonde roast is (unless you're at Starbucks)?

I agree that it's too grassy and acidic for my tastes, almost like a bad green tea.

Isn't that pretty much what a blonde roast is (unless you're at Starbucks)?

I agree that it's too grassy and acidic for my tastes, almost like a bad green tea.
Good post, as you caused me to go looking. This article was interesting and worth the quick read. It specifically highlights how Starbucks blonde is a bit mislabeled. I do like Starbucks blonde roast if I am away from home and that is the coffee shop available.

Top Bottom