What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Didn't have a chance to post when I purchased it 3 days ago, but did just received 10 pounds of Mexico Chiapas Turquesa HG EP and 10 pounds of Nicaragua Olomega SHG. And roasted 8 ounces of each.
Still waiting for the Rwanda Maboro as it was back ordered, but is scheduled for delivery on Monday. Once it arrives I'll have a little over 50 pounds of green coffee to cover me the rest of the year.

Just finished roasting 300G each (pre roast) of
- Sweet Maria's Brazil Dry Process Fazenda Furnas
- Sweet Maria's Guatemala Proyecto Xinabajul La Libertad

Both to Full City on Behmor

Roasted some old beans from Vietnam, so they must be Robusta. It was sold as "Chồn" or Weasel coffee, but my understanding is that it is really some artificially fermented coffee which may (or may not?) taste similar to the thing. The beans are not pretty, and the roast got away from me a bit and got into 2nd crack quickly, but I think it will be okay.
Vietnam-Chon-Weasel-Coffee-bag_20210416.jpgVietnam-Chon-Weasel-Coffee-beans_20210416.jpg

Today was roast day. I just cracked open my last 65lb box from genuine origin. I looked at the roast logs and it looks like a box lasts about 5 months (11/22/20->04/24/21) over 14 roasts. I was a bit surprised to see how fast the coffee goes. I guess I need to start figuring out another green order soon.

Today was roast day. I just cracked open my last 65lb box from genuine origin. I looked at the roast logs and it looks like a box lasts about 5 months (11/22/20->04/24/21) over 14 roasts. I was a bit surprised to see how fast the coffee goes. I guess I need to start figuring out another green order soon.

SWMBO still won't let me go to Royal NY coffee warehouse in Jacksonville. Hour away. Not desperate for green... yet

Offerings - https://www.royalny.com/coffee/offerings/

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I keep on roasting the Moka Kadir blend from Sweet Maria's. However, with everything going on in Yemen, I fear those days may be nearing their end. As the Great Sage Butthead says: "The more things change, the more they suck."

I went ahead and ordered a couple pounds, each, of their Espresso Monkey and New Classic Espresso just to see how they go. I've enjoyed Sweet Maria's blends, so I figure it can be no worse than a small mistake.

Roasted Sweet Maria's Burundi dry process beans last night. I'm sure they will make a lovely cup of joe tomorrow morning.

My brother and I used to split a few full bags a few (3-4) at a time (50-60kg) until the place decided we didn't retail the roasted coffee.. So now I get by with little 30ish kg bags. I don't think SWMBO cares who I talk to about acquiring greens as long as I bring her an espresso in bed every morning.

Who sells 20lb boxes? Are those sample sizes or something :a53:

My brother and I used to split a few full bags a few (3-4) at a time (50-60kg) until the place decided we didn't retail the roasted coffee.. So now I get by with little 30ish kg bags. I don't think SWMBO cares who I talk to about acquiring greens as long as I bring her an espresso in bed every morning.

Who sells 20lb boxes? Are those sample sizes or something :a53:

Royal NY warehouse sells 20# boxes and damages sacks (spills).

The link I posted will show you what they have and what is incoming.

They have several warehouses. See if one is close to you

I hate sounding like a broken record....

I feel like a Facebook maven "everything is oh so beautiful"..... yummy.... <selfie>...

I need to set a roast on fire or drop some beans while still in the yellow.....

Why me....

I get so tired of amazing roasts, time after time.

I'm starting to get embarrassed. I've even stopped talking about roasting coffee.

This time it was a pre-blended espresso batch. 60% "commodity grade" 18 screen Brazilian, 30% speciality Vanilla Brazilian, 10% India Robusta.

I saved the profile from artisan. Took the bean mass to 438° for 14 minutes. I was sure that I had made charcoal not coffee. There was so much smoke comming out of the cyclone I was afraid someone might call the fire department.

I just did 2 pulls and except for the additional crema from it being so fresh.... I'd better shut up. If it tastes like this over the next week, I'm going to give up doing city roasts and making pour overs for good.

Last edited:
I almost set some beans afire. The first seasoning roast in my roaster I was to add beans and full throttle until temp got to upper cut off (445F) and then keep the beans in the drum and tumble until cool. I didn't see flames but there was a bunch of smoke. The beans came out looking like charcoal.

Today was 1 kilo of Colombian Mujeres Cafeteras (a woman run co-operative).

I have 20# of this from a purchase I made of 3 coffees made up mostly of women run farms.

Still "guzzling" espresso from my last roast. I have 2 maybe 3 10oz grinds left in the machine. Saturday will be when I will be able to taste today's roast.

I am enjoying my new roaster. Did I mention that it is wireless USB connected to my lappy running Artisan? Yep

20210514_142743-01.jpeg
20210514_145539-01.jpeg
20210514_142932-01.jpeg

Nice Mick! I would love to have wireless but have to bump along with a USB connection. Love those burners... I am going to show my machine that picture of those burners so it has something to aspire to... I imagine you can get crazy RoR temp rates if you want to.

Sitting at the new roaster. Lit the pilot light and getting beans weighed and artisan started. In the 15 minutes it took to get everything together probe in the chamber is reading 330° F. That's one powerful pilot light......

I guess I'll just fire up the burners, charge the roaster, and see what happens.:eek2:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
First roast with Sweet Maria's New Classic Espresso blend. I'll give it a try in a day or two, but I like what I see and smell from the roaster. I -think- I heard a tick or two of second crack as it hit the tray, which is just what I was looking for. Something tells me that I will want to stretch out the ramp a little, but I think we're off to at least a decent start here.

20210618_092550.jpg

It was something to move on from my beloved Moka Kadir, but something tells me that we won't see that one around for a while.

Got 4 new green coffees :001_smile

Guatemala Michicoy Finca Rosma Lot 2
Guatemala Antiqua Finca Pavon Farm
Ethiopia Dry Process Buno Dambi Uddo
Kenya Muranga Kehete Peaberry
1697061124811.png

I'm especially happy about the Finca Rosma. It's been my favorite for a number of years, and since the pandemic, or maybe a year before, I haven't been able to get it, or it was a disappointing crop, or suffered by long waits on container ships or in warehouses. I haven't roasted any yet … in the next 2-3 weeks.

In general, my favorite coffees are Guatemalans (all wet washed) or Ethiopian Dry Processed, especially the ones with lots of body & those blueberry flavor hints. Kenyan coffees have also been very good. Sometimes but not often, coffees from Panama or the Chiapas region of Mexico have been very good. I like other Central Americans, but none are as consistently good as the best Guatemalans. And sometimes, coffee from Kenya's neighbors, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania can be very good.

I roast to City or City+ levels, before 2nd crack begins. I brew either single-cup drip or a Technivorm Moccamaster.:cuppa:

Last edited:
Top Bottom