What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Quarter pound of Guatemala Huehuetanango (forget the farm on that one) and half a pound of Guatemala Decaf from Burman. Got the roast where I wanted it with the Behmor, found that if I use the standard P1 program for twice the coffee weight

That's what I did when I was using one. More control with fewer beans

I find Tarrazu to be almost completely flavorless for some reason. Shouldn't be that much different than Guatemala, but it sure is to me. Might have been the batch I got, but non of the Costa Rica's I've tried were exceptional.

I find Tarrazu to be almost completely flavorless for some reason. Shouldn't be that much different than Guatemala, but it sure is to me. Might have been the batch I got, but non of the Costa Rica's I've tried were exceptional.

They like to be roasted light. If you prefer darker roasts go with a Brazilian or Indonesian.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I went back to the Moka Mutovu (250g of it) for the first time since the end of last year. I've just about roasted through the Polar Expresso and wanted to do something else before it's all gone. Just mixing things up.

1 pound of Kenya AA
1/2 pound of Costa Rican La Rosa.

Got dark last night after the central America so..... there's always tomorrow ;)

proxy.php

Ordered 70 pounds of green coffee last night at midnight to take advantage of a free shipping offer.

20# Keyna AA
20# Colombian Supremo (female owned co-op)
20# Costa Rican la rosa (Tarrazu)
10# Sumatra Mandheling

I'm all set for a while.

These are my favorites. Feels good to have a decent supply the coffees I enjoy the most added to my stash.

I wanted to get a full bag of Costa Rican but SWMBO talked me out of it with a simple statement "how are you going to be able to moose around a 120 pound bag of coffee". Getting old sux.....

@Mick my brother and I usually split an order of 2-3 bags at a time. Yes, a 50-60kg bag is alot to move around but we have found that a full bag fills about 6 5-gallon buckets (like the ones at home despot). The weight of a 5-gallon bucket is quite manageable.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are not splitting an order a full bag is alot of coffee and depending on how much/often you roast you want to make sure that you actually love that coffee. The place I use will send you a few samples if you are trying to decide between a few options.

I am not sure how shipping would work because we are local and just drive to the warehouse and pick it up.

If you need some more enablement help lemme know.

Ruckin

I am within driving distance to the NY coffee Florida warehouse but they only sell full sacks.

Since I only roast for myself (and lately a neighbor who is not ashamed to beg and plead) I only roast 2 pounds every 10 days.

Just have my little hottop down here so half pound batches (or a couple hours) every 10 days is not too bad.

I'll be roasting again tomorrow. Going to do just the Peruvian micro lot this time as I have most of the 40 pounds I bought still on the shelf.

Mick, it sounds like you need a friend or two to split a bag(s). :001_rolle I roast 2.1kg (4.6ish lbs) every 10-14 days on a 2kg machine. Lately with all the staying at home I am much closer to 10 days. Doing half pound batches makes larger quantities sound like work. I rarely do sequential batches so I waste alot more time heating/cooling the machine than I do actually roasting.

Another option (but not as cheap as my local wholesaler) is some place like genuine origin. They sell 60lb bags (max for UPS). They have quite a bit of selection in terms of micro lots, single fields, etc. I like to pick up a box here and there when they have a sale or something that looks interesting. Oh it won't help you (or me) but if you get 10 bags the shipping is free :lol:

Ruckin (hmm, I need to roast again)

where are you guys buying green coffee? One used to be able to buy non-roaster/coffeeshop quantities from fairway in NYC but alas is no more.

Regards
Avi

Look at what this roaster offers. I've bought green on a regular basis from them for several years. NEVER been been disappointed.

Not sure how close you are.

If you can go in, taste what they are selling, before buying, you WIN.

Reactions: Avi
I can't help @Avi directly but I have purchased greens from four types of places. In order of quantity:

Find a local artisanal roaster. I have had luck with coffee shops that roast their own as well as restaurants that do the same. Often you can get 1-5 lbs of greens. Also Mick points out that you have an opportunity to taste the finished product.

There are several mail order places that will send 1-20lbs of coffee. I have ordered from a few of these places in the past but I go through enough beans that a 20lb bags is too small.

There are also mail order places that are at the upper limits of what UPS et. al. will ship and have 60 ish pound bags. I have had good luck finding excellent small lot coffee here.

Then there is the wholesale places. Some of these places want you to buy coffee by the truck load others will sell you a bag or two at a time. Note these bags are 100+lbs. Selection and pricing varies daily but if you kind of know what you want there can be some good deals.

So depending on how much coffee you want to roast in a year there are several options. Another thing to consider is that if you have some local friends you can split larger orders. It also serves as a good excuse to get together for coffee, roasting and general hanging out and BSing.

Hope this helps some.
Ruckin

Reactions: Avi
Very cool thanks guys super appreciated! The Lake Erie place is a bit far but you guys have both given me ideas (and as a random aside one can even imagine low population modern holiday road trip out to that part of the Pa this summer as being a fun thing for everyone to do)

Looking at the grinder I see that tomorrow will be a roasting day. I think I have enough for a quick round of coffee (maybe two) prior to roasting another batch of my blend. It will be a 2.1kg of Brazil, Sumatra and Sulwasi.

Ruckin

Top Bottom