What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Could not wait for the Green to be delivered so roasted 2# of Keyna AA

Waiting at the cell store now for a replacement S8+

Bummer

Roasted 2 pounds of coffee from the island of Java in Indonesia.

Roasted for 12 minutes to 412 degrees

Could not wait so brewed up 2 cups.

It's a keeper

proxy.php

Finally found the coffee roasting thread! Will be roasting again soon but now am looking to buy some green coffee from a local source.

home

Haven't roasted a blend before but am hoping to find something for my in-laws that tastes more like coffee and less like single origin beans.

Any recommendations for blends or which 3 beans I should try for an espresso blend?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Any recommendations for blends or which 3 beans I should try for an espresso blend?

Pour over blends are best kept simple. African and Central/South American. Kenya and Costa Rica are nice together. Ethiopian (washed) and Colombian (supremo big beans) are also nice and will be more like what American store coffee taste like.

For espresso I like to blend African, Central American, and Indonesian with a little robusta tossed in (5% or less). If I can't find/source robsta, I'll see if I can find some monsooned Indian.

Fired up the SF-1 and roasted 2 lb Kenya AA and 1 lb Etheopian SWP decaf.

Been a while since I roasted any decaf.

Here's my second purchase of greens. Hoping to find something awesome I'm this batch! Found a local roaster that sells green beans as well so hoping to have a good source of course and knowledge.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here's my second purchase of greens. Hoping to find something awesome I'm this batch! Found a local roaster that sells green beans as well so hoping to have a good source of course and knowledge.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Just finished 3 batches on my Behmor...1/4 lb of both espresso blends and 1/2 lb of Columbian Supremo.

Took both espresso blends to full city+ and Columbian Supremo to full city. Going to wait till Saturday for espresso but we'll see how the Columbian is tomorrow.

Roasted 2 quarter lb batches of Ethiopian Harrar. Took both to City with the following times. Seems there is a definite curve to P1 as it never went above 300 on B temp where I try to keep it between 300-320 in manual mode.

P1
1C-9:03
Finish-10:58

Manual
1C-7:08
Finish-8:50

Quite a bit colder today, 15° outside and the garage says 45°. It's enough to be uncomfortable, going to have to find some gloves that are thin enough to work in this but think enough to remove the chaff tray when hot.

Ordered some simple green after failing to find it in a store around here. I've been cleaning it out with a damp paper towel but am starting to notice oils on the glass.

Today I'm doing 3 batches including Columbian Supremo, Brazilian Conquista, and Columbian decaf. All are what I have left from my initial 15 lbs of coffee that I ordered before Thanksgiving.

Today marks roasts 29-31 and it had been quite the learning experience. I'm excited to try some new beans with the process I now have in place.

Did a 12 oz roast of Columbian decaf from my local supplier. Going to be blended with an espresso blend for a half caff mix.

Did a double batch yesterday. 2x 2kg of my current normal blend using my brother's Ambex 2kg machine. The blend is and even split of Brazil, Sidamo, and Sulawesi. I don't recall more details about the origins... My brother and I buy 2-3 whole bags at a time from a Seattle based distributor off the spot market so we never seem to to get the same twice.

One roast is on the way to my son's dorm room and the other will be enjoyed by myself and Mrs Ruckin and whoever wanders by when espresso is happening.

Ruckin.

Roasted 2 half pounds of Yemen and a half pound of Colombian.

proxy.php

Downloaded and running Artisan 1.2. Much nicer than the older release I have been using previously.

Need to get better acquainted with this software

Log of the Colombian roast

proxy.php

I will be downloading Artisan 1.2 this week. I need to complete my seasoning roast on my MC 2kg machine and hopefully by this weekend I can have it figured out to the point where I can roast some beans.

Ruckin.

Roasted 2 quarter lb batches of Guatamala Antigua and Costa Rica Tarrazu. Both ended up in the city+ range at the end of first crack. Used the roast buddy app on my phone to track time. It is very basic but works for how I'm tracking roasts for now.

Finished off the Costa Rican this morning. Roasting 1/4 lb Ethiopia Harrar and 1/2 lb Ethiopia Sidamo. Previously roasted Harrar to City so took it to full city this time. Have 1 more batch of that to roast yet

This is my first roast of the Sidamo. Shooting for city/city+. We'll see how different it is from the Harrar.

Also have 20 lbs of coffee on order. 10 more of the Brazil Conquista I had before and 5 each of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and another Costa Rica.

I have manged to work my way through 30 or so lbs of seasoning beans in my MC 2kg roaster and actually made some for me... it is a blend of Brazil, Sulawesi, and Sidamo.

coffee_r1.jpg

Ruckin

Bought a pound of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Kenya AA yesterday and roasted 1/4 of each last night

Top Bottom