What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Does anyone know what the word 'Michicoy' means?

Sweet Maria's used to sell Finca Rosma coffee as 'Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca Rosma", where Huehuetenango is a province in Guatemala.
Looking on sweetmarias.com, there are three offerings with "Michicoy". More into in the farm notes tab, easy to miss. I like Guatemalan coffee as well and it's a wonderfull place to visit.

Guatemala Xinabajul Michicoy -​

This lot is made up from the coffee of five producers in Michicoy town, within the San Pedro Necta Municipality of Huehuetenango. This region used to be only accessible by foot path, but a road now crests the dizzying slopes at times not much more than a car width across. We've been working with an intermediary the last few years to gain access to small holders in the region. The resulting relationships are mutually beneficial, in that by allowing us to separate their premium level coffee from the rest we are able to pay them a premium that would otherwise be lost to blending all their coffee together. And for us we are afforded direct access to coffees that would be near impossible to find on our own. Cultivars grown in the region are a mix, but Bourbon, Typica, and Caturra tend to dominate. The coffee is wet-processed, then traditional wet fermentation is employed to break down and remove fruit mucilage, and then in most cases the green coffee is patio dried, though some have indoor drying rooms. This coffee is part of our Proyecto Xinabajul small producer buying program, which you can read more about here.

Guatemala Michicoy Finca Rosma Lot 2​

Finca Rosma is owned by the Morales family, managed by the son Fredy. The name is in honor of his grandmother, Rosemarie. It's located on a high ridge where you drive in to the farm at nearly 1900 meters, then descend down to the mill at around 1600 meters (just check out the dizzying slope on the other side of the cherry 'weighing' station in the 1st pic). When Alejandro Rosales bought the farm in 1963, the only way to get there was by foot, or horseback. It's not that easy of a trek by road, either. The farm is quite steep, typical for the high ridges of the Sierra Los Cuchumatanes mountains. I found the plantings to be quite a jumble of cultivars. There were certainly a lot of old Bourbon trees, but I saw many Typica (Arabigo), and some Caturra and Catuaí as well. There were red and yellow varietals too. Processing is mostly wet-process, traditional fermentation, but they are working with a very tight space; there is not a lot of flat areas in this topography. So they have to manage their batch sizes carefully or they will rapidly run out of patio space for sun-drying the coffee, though partially remedied with the addition of a large area of raised drying beds (a welcome addition!). Regardless of the details, they are producing an amazing coffee, and I wouldn't suggest that they change a thing!

Ethiopian Mansur Aba Hikam

13.8% weight loss. It might have turned out a little light for espresso but I'll find out in a few days.

Sr800 with the Razzo v6.

Reactions: Wid
Ethiopian Mansur Aba Hikam

13.8% weight loss. It might have turned out a little light for espresso but I'll find out in a few days.

Sr800 with the Razzo v6.

I just got the Razzo V5 coming from stock extension tube (SR800) I was bit surprised that I needed so much more power. Care to share your settings?

I just got the Razzo V5 coming from stock extension tube (SR800) I was bit surprised that I needed so much more power. Care to share your settings?
Absolutely, my base settings for trying a new bean is to start at fan 9 power 5, I roast 250g a batch. Every 45 seconds I walk the power up. Once the power is set to 8 I wait the 45 seconds and drop the fan to 8.

I leave it set to f8 p8 through the end of the yellowing phase (around 4 minutes into the roast), then I allow a minute to extend the maillard phase and give the beans a chance to express inherent sweetness in the final roast. I lower the fan to setting 7 and roast until just before first crack. I finally lower the fan to setting 6 as first crack happens (usually around 7:30). I typically allow the dev time to last about 2 minutes and hit the cooling button.

I have the smooth bore roast chamber, I believe it to be his most recent version. My write up ended up a hair more complicated than I expected so please ask for clarification on anything that needs it.

Absolutely, my base settings for trying a new bean is to start at fan 9 power 5, I roast 250g a batch. Every 45 seconds I walk the power up. Once the power is set to 8 I wait the 45 seconds and drop the fan to 8.

I leave it set to f8 p8 through the end of the yellowing phase (around 4 minutes into the roast), then I allow a minute to extend the maillard phase and give the beans a chance to express inherent sweetness in the final roast. I lower the fan to setting 7 and roast until just before first crack. I finally lower the fan to setting 6 as first crack happens (usually around 7:30). I typically allow the dev time to last about 2 minutes and hit the cooling button.

I have the smooth bore roast chamber, I believe it to be his most recent version. My write up ended up a hair more complicated than I expected so please ask for clarification on anything that needs it.

That’s not to far off of what Kent suggested. I followed his instructions but didn’t turn the power down at the 4 minute mark and scorched some beans. From there I followed what he said to T and it worked pretty well. I’m so used to the stock extension tube and shorter roasts.

IMG_0572.jpeg

That’s not to far off of what Kent suggested. I followed his instructions but didn’t turn the power down at the 4 minute mark and scorched some beans. From there I followed what he said to T and it worked pretty well. I’m so used to the stock extension tube and shorter roasts.

View attachment 1733568
I was surprised that my roast time increased too, most my roasts were finishing around 8 minutes prior to the extension tube.

Top Bottom