What's new

What Got You Started?

Refusing to pay through the nose for the big brand carts, I got by for years using various supermarket own-brand alternatives. One by one, these reasonably priced 3-blade systems were phased out in favor of more expensive 5-blade versions.

It was a step too far for me. Looking for alternatives, I was immediately seduced by the super low price of DE blades and snapped up the cheapest DE razor I could find on eBay. It cost about £4.50 including postage and came with 10 Silver Star blades. I expected it to be junk but the first few shaves went surprisingly well; in fact I was so chuffed with my purchase that I took a carefully lit shot of it:

Goodbye expensive multi-blade cartidges [5D4_0573]
by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

If I had stuck with that combo my switch to DE would actually have saved me money. But I didn't stick with that combo. Why? Because most of my searches for DE shaving info brought me to this site, and you all know how it goes from there :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for sharing your origin stories. I have enjoyed reading every one, but I am even more grateful that you have all stayed to build this friendly, knowledgeable community!

For me it was an add for custom straight razor in a magazine. Next to the add was link to the shaving forum (local, from our country) and because I was bored I started reading around the forum and discovered DE.

I don't think I need to add I LOATHED shaving with carts and their cost, one of reasons I refused to give up DE even when I tought my face was on fire

Back then only DE I could get the same day was plastic wilkinson razor (situation didn't improve much over here). I armed myself with this razor, their horrible synth brush and soap in blue bowl and tried to use that to shave a week of growth. Didn't draw blood but I got NASTY razor burn with unshaved patches. But it didn't put me off DE razors. It just made me determined to "figure this son of a b*** out"

And I did :c2:

I was looking for a way to save money on cartridges - hasn’t quite worked out that way as I’ve spent close to $100 on brushes, soaps and blade samplers.

It was the Micro Touch One commercials by the Pawn Stars guy. I had long despised disposable multi blade cartridge razors because the hair collects under the blades, clogs them up, and are the deuce to rinse clean with faucet water.

So one day I walked four blocks to a CVS with an "As Seen on TV" aisle and bought one for $20. My first shave using the supplied Dorco blade was a one pass WTG (I knew no other way) gel shave which had me asking in amazement, "Why did we ever stop shaving this way?"

I started shaving in high school with an electric razor. After high school I enlisted in the Marine Corps. In boot camp we could only use the issued Gillette TTO along with Gillette blue blades and canned Barbasol. Never having used a DE razor and all of 30 sec to shave with a crazy man screaming in our faces most of us were a bloody mess. In time our technique improved and our faces healed.

As years went by I ended up using a Gillette Atra for many years. Several times I tried 3-5 bladed carts and hated how big and difficult they were to use. Over time the Atra carts became harder to find, so I started looking for something new. Any cart handle I looked at was plastic an to light for my taste. I started a search on the internet and rediscovered DE wet shaving about 10 months ago.

I never would have guessed how enjoyable shaving would become for me.

Started DE shaving in the late 1960s, over 50 years ago. My Dad and Granddad used Gillettes and canned Barbasol. I got a worn hand me down razor. We all shaved daily, as being shaven was expected. Then came the many years of using electrics, carts, and whatever else would get me ready quickly in the mornings. Ultimately, returned to DE shaving, almost always in the shower in the 1990s. I didn't use a brush and decent soaps until the late 1990s, and then from there I caught the AD bug and it has been downhill ever since! DEs, SEs, straights, and all the rest. It's still fun for me, so I keep at it.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve been a self proclaimed beard guy for most of my life. Struggled with shaving and the results. Was influenced by a colleague to purchase a straight razor in the late 80’s but struggled with it. There were no forums, tutorials to my knowledge so I fumbled around and got poor results. I had no idea what I was doing......grow beard instead. Still somewhat intrigued I bought another SE razor early 2000’s, similar results. Shelved the Dovo.....grow beard. Shaving always seemed like a chore to me, I would never in my wildest dreams imagine I would one day look forward to shaving. I got a well recommended DE razor, quality soaps and cream and a few new brushes to replace the same one I’ve had since the 80’s. Found a couple of great bowls at a local thrift store and sent my two SE razors in for honing. Im waiting for the edge to dull on my new found interest, but right now it just brings me pleasure. Who knew? I’m in!

I think it was '61 or 2 that I started shaving, In those days there wasn't alot of choice. It was Straight, DE or SE razors. I started out with a Gillette Slim, still shave with it, went to the drugstore on the corner with my Dad for the razor, extra blades, brush, soap and after shave, all for well under $5, Mom gave me one of her coffee mugs to put the soap in.

I appreciate well made English goodyear welt shoes and went down the rabbit hole of maintaining and polishing my shoes. I stumbled across Kirby Allison on Youtube and he had a video on wet shaving and that's how it all began!

I have my sons to blame! Several years ago my youngest son asked for an old time double edge razor for Christmas. I thought that would be a fun gift for a dad to give his son, so I bought him the Parker razor, TOBS Sandalwood cream, & Perfecto badger brush he had on his list. Several days later I'm talking with another of my sons (I have 4), & we were comparing what we had purchased for the various family members. He was so excited to tell me he bought the razor set his brother wanted. He thought it would be so cool to give it to him. I didn't want to burst his excitement at having the perfect gift for his brother, so I didn't tell him I also got it. I decided to keep it & try it. I had been an electric or cart shaver all my life, so why not try this out & see what all the fuss was about. I loved it, & my son loved his razor set & is still de shaving. I've since gifted him other razors, brushes, & soaps.

My sons all know of my de hobby & how it started. They enjoy hearing their dad blame his sons for getting him into this wonderful pastime.

only started DE shaving 4 years ago after I got tired to buy expensive cartridges and canned cream which didn't provided me with a good shave in the end but I must admit I did spend some money on razors, brushes and soaps in the past 4 years as well, but its definitely worth it

I’ve always had a beard, partly because I can grow a nice one and partly because I hated shaving, tore up my face and found it a chore. One night after few pints poured from my home bar I fell into the YouTube hole. Was learning about knife sharpening when a Geo Fatboy video came up. Watched the whole video on DE shaving.

The next day I was reading more on it and kept found myself ending up here. After doing my research and waiting for the right time (found out I was having a son) I bought a EJ 89 and some green Porasso. Never turned back and eventually found my self on B&B so much I decided to become a member.

Growing up, I always thought straight razors and the old safety razors looked really interesting in older shows/movies. The interest was always there, but I didn't get my first DE and straight until after I was married.

I got into DE shaving properly 5 years ago mainly because cartridges and electric shavers played havoc with my skin and I struggled with spots etc into my early forties...!

Suffice to say, it did the trick and now I look forward to my morning shaves :)

I got into DE shaving properly 5 years ago mainly because cartridges and electric shavers played havoc with my skin and I struggled with spots etc into my early forties...!

Suffice to say, it did the trick and now I look forward to my morning shaves :)
My sister asked what I would like as a birthday present. I thought shaving was something I did regularly and asked for a Feather ds-d2

What first got me started was a random discussion I had with a stranger on a bench in Seattle one day. I have no idea how we got on the topic of shaving but we did! I think it was mostly about how expensive it was to continually buy those dang plastic disposables. The guy brought up safety razors (which I’d never heard of at that point) and I figured it was worth a shot. Been hooked ever since!! I love the tradition of it, the ceremony of it, the slowness and process of it, the sustainability of it, the community, and so much more! Needless to say, I have saved no money though!!! 🤣
But, the option is there if I really wanted too. Good thread!! 👍🏼

Top Bottom