What's new

What goes up must come down

Well good news bad news. Good news I got my lathe out of storage and decided to try making a new brush. So I had a apple tree that fell in my yard years ago and I had a piece left over so I cut a workable piece (it was a little punky and I prob shouldn’t have wasted time) but I was anxious to use my old lathe. So anyway this is my first try and brush making, and I was so happy with it and just was thinking how cool this brush will be and as I’m undoing the crank the brush just falls into 2 😩 so while I’m disappointed I’m excited to get some better wood and turn some beauties

Attachments

• 53677B84-C896-4743-A36D-949FBE7CBD84.jpeg
    53677B84-C896-4743-A36D-949FBE7CBD84.jpeg
    944.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DA66EC73-F185-4FBE-AF0C-9AA57F5EAE1B.jpeg
    DA66EC73-F185-4FBE-AF0C-9AA57F5EAE1B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • B3967966-07EF-4679-B9F4-4E7478BCD254.jpeg
    B3967966-07EF-4679-B9F4-4E7478BCD254.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • DB65B1A8-B9FE-44A2-B243-641D064194D0.jpeg
    DB65B1A8-B9FE-44A2-B243-641D064194D0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 60
Just had idea. What if I drill out a little hole in each side put a rod to connect them (leave a small gap) and fill with a colored epoxy? Might be a cool unique touch to the apple wood....stay tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bake wood in oven at 215 deg. for one hour if your unsure of the woods condition and moisture on the inside. let cool and breath off moisture, etc for a day. line cookie sheet with foil so you don't get shot by significant other.

this is what I've done with wood from the scrap/brush pile.

camo

bake wood in oven at 215 deg. for one hour if your unsure of the woods condition and moisture on the inside. let cool and breath off moisture, etc for a day. line cookie sheet with foil so you don't get shot by significant other.

camo

This wood was def dry. It fell years ago and had been split/drying since. I had this piece on my radiant floor in greenhouse baking in sun the last 2 weeks so it was as dry as can be. I have some cherry and maple that I’ve had curing for awhile too that I’ll prob take a piece of and try again

camo

Honestly when i saw your post with that stand you made from Christmas tree piece, is what inspired me to dig out my lathe and start playing with it.

Honestly when i saw your post with that stand you made from Christmas tree piece, is what inspired me to dig out my lathe and start playing with it.

keep at it.....somewhere in one of the pieces lies a handle wanting to break out.

plus I've found it fun to tinker......

camo

Just had idea. What if I drill out a little hole in each side put a rod to connect them (leave a small gap) and fill with a colored epoxy? Might be a cool unique touch to the apple wood....stay tuned

I'd like to see that. Some of the hybrid handles look amazing. I fixed a crack in a knot cup with 2 part epoxy and brass shavings. Turned out pretty cool.

I'd like to see that. Some of the hybrid handles look amazing. I fixed a crack in a knot cup with 2 part epoxy and brass shavings. Turned out pretty cool.

I’ll def update this when I finally get to it and share. That’s sounds pretty cool adding the shavings, must’ve been a nice added pop!

One thing I've learned the hard way is, whenever you see spalting in the wood, you're better off trying to have it stabilized, or look for something else. Apple is soft and weak as it is, and spalting suggests rot on top of that. While this does look very interesting on stands, bowls, and other items that are usually kept fairly dry, it isn't suitable for a shaving brush, in my experience so far. I've had a few spalted maple handles crack, and they were even stabilized.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

One thing I've learned the hard way is, whenever you see spalting in the wood, you're better off trying to have it stabilized, or look for something else. Apple is soft and weak as it is, and spalting suggests rot on top of that. While this does look very interesting on stands, bowls, and other items that are usually kept fairly dry, it isn't suitable for a shaving brush, in my experience so far. I've had a few spalted maple handles crack, and they were even stabilized.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

You’re 100% right about this, I had just taken my lathe out of storage and was playing around. I had cut the apple tree down myself because it was rotting haha. Speaking of spalted maple, check out this headboard I made for my bed out of a sugar maple and walnut that had fallen on my property
proxy.php

Top Bottom