What's new

What Gillette vintage razors do I have?

Hello all,

I have 2 two Gillette vintage razors that were recently given to me, both in very good condition. One is a complete razor made in England, with a J2 date code. The handle must be aluminum, not sure of the head. Total weight is only 28 grams. The other is a gold razor (only have the head, no handle) made in Canada with no date code. Head weighs about 52 grams, perhaps gold plated brass?

Can anyone shed some light on the exact type of each razor and the year of production?

Also, how easy would it be get my hands on a matching handle for the gold razor? And is it worth it to polish it up? The only thing I have done is cleaned it with dish soap soap and used a nylon brush to take off any oxidation.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Attachments

• IMG_3817.JPG
    IMG_3817.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3818.JPG
    IMG_3818.JPG
    729.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3819.JPG
    IMG_3819.JPG
    717.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPG
    776.8 KB · Views: 52
The first appears to be a Made in England Travel Tech and the second appears to be a Canadian long comb NEW where Gillette uses the newly designed locking head with the slot on the plate and the raised strip on the cap along with 4 corner tabs to secure the new notched blade design that we are so familiar with today. Pretty much any Gillette handle with fit the NEW. You should be able to screw in the handle from the Travel Tech with no issue.

If the plating is decent, I would leave as is. Finding a gold handle for the NEW shouldn't be too hard, any gold Tech design handle should fit it. In other words, most handles from any 3-piece Gillette razor (and a number of other companies) should fit it if the threads on the cap are in good shape.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have 2 two Gillette vintage razors that were recently given to me, both in very good condition. One is a complete razor made in England, with a J2 date code. The handle must be aluminum, not sure of the head. Total weight is only 28 grams. The other is a gold razor (only have the head, no handle) made in Canada with no date code. Head weighs about 52 grams, perhaps gold plated brass?

Can anyone shed some light on the exact type of each razor and the year of production?

Also, how easy would it be get my hands on a matching handle for the gold razor? And is it worth it to polish it up? The only thing I have done is cleaned it with dish soap soap and used a nylon brush to take off any oxidation.

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Yes, I think @CCS is spot on. I do notice the Travel Tech is a 2nd quarter 1964 example (J2) which is slightly unusual, as English Techs are a little more haphazard in their serial year/quarter markings. Its good to see this has one. Here is the contemporary US example
proxy.php

Here is a Canadian NEW, technically described in the above post by our colleague.
proxy.php

I have a Canadian New Long comb that is one of my favorite razors, very smooth. You can also get a new replica handle from Razor Emporium if you can't find an original.

Rather than the replica handle (made in china) and $55 for gold, you might consider finding a used Gillette ball end Tech in gold and using that handle. I'd picked up one from ebay for $10 shipped because the head was shot (could be replated). I got it just for the handle to use on an old NEW. The original handle may have been fixed by my jeweler buddy. I got a call it was ready so I'll know in a couple days.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a 1955 Rocket HD on the way... it's stuck somewhere in Germany at the moment, I think.. though it could be in the USPS system somewhere and just hasn't been scanned in.

That means, I'll have 4 Gillette Vintage razors. That should hold me until I notice a nice, new shiny one somewhere. <eg>

Top Bottom