What's new

What Gillette razors were in production in 1971?

RazorEmporium's Gillette date code site says that these razors were in production in 1971: TTO, Tech, Knack, and Trac II. I'd like more information about which TTO models were made then. I know there was a Flair Tip Super Speed, but I'm not sure if it came in any variations in 1971. I think there were adjustables too, but I'm not sure which.

Can anyone shed light on this or suggest another site?

In 1971, if talking only DE razors, there would have been:
-Superspeed (black handle, flare tip) - TTO
-late production tech, usually with a small ball-end handle and cast cap. -3 Piece
-Plastic Tech - 3 piece
-G1000 - 3 piece
-The Psycho-Tech - 4 piece
-Knack/SlimTwist - TTO
-Slim Deluxe - TTO
-Super 84 adjustable - TTO
-Super 109 adustable - TTO
-Lady Gillette - TTO

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They were still producing quite a few DE razors in 1971. Pity I was only 7 years old and not into shaving then.

With renewed interest in de shaving, I wonder if Gillette will consider making one or two of their vintage models?

With renewed interest in de shaving, I wonder if Gillette will consider making one or two of their vintage models?

Hi,

It would be extremely unlikely Gillette would bother to re-release a vintage razor design in the US. Just wouldn't be cost effective for them. There are already plenty of new made DE razors covering every price point you might wish for. Let alone compete with all the vintage razors you can find in the wild or auction sites. And I'm sure Gillette really wouldn't want to cut into their cartridge business.

Absolutely correct. Compare the retail price of a DE blade to the price of a single modern cartridge.

Money and profit drive the world of business, not customer preferences unfortunately.

And it's very true that domestic Gillette could not compete with offshore manufacturing.

Gillette sold razors cheap, at least in the states. It was always about the blades. That was the business model. In the good old days Gillette sold Techs for fifty cents; a buck for gold. $1.95 to OMG $5 bought the fancy razors! The profit was in selling blades. And today it is in cartridges. No big money to be made in razors. Gillette will not be selling Slims or Red Tips again.

(Full disclosure: I own some P & G stock.)

Gillette sold razors cheap, at least in the states. It was always about the blades. That was the business model. In the good old days Gillette sold Techs for fifty cents; a buck for gold. $1.95 to OMG $5 bought the fancy razors! The profit was in selling blades. And today it is in cartridges. No big money to be made in razors. Gillette will not be selling Slims or Red Tips again.

(Full disclosure: I own some P & G stock.)
The last couple Gillette Fusion Proglide "razors" I used (really only handles on which one snaps on the pivoting head), and in fact several earlier models, were sent to me unsolicited and free of charge. I'm sure the same is true for most other Gillette users here. What I find odd is even in this age of Dollar Shave Club et al., which have clearly had an impact on Gillette's bottom line, Gillette continues to charge such a high retail price for its cartridge. True, deep discounts are easy to find online and even in some stores, especially if one buys the larger packages, but the basic business model remains.

Top Bottom