What's new

What general shaving items aren't you interested in?

I have no interest or need for-

Lathering bowls, scuttles
Artisan products
100s of different blade varieties
Shaving racks, brush stands
Pre shave oils, cream
Straight razors and everything that goes with it
Electric razors
Hot water

I’m pretty content with my Merkur 34G and Astra SP/Feather blades. No need to look any further, except, maybe a vintage razor.

My pre shave routine is pretty set and I’m very happy with TOBS Jermyn St. pre shave gel. Don’t see why I’d need more than one bowl when my Captain’s Choice performs perfectly.

I have enough soaps and creams and aftershaves and soon-to-be brushes. Anything more than that and I’ll go cross eyed trying to figure out what to shave with.

No interest in straights.
No interest in any more mass produced soaps.
No interest in AS splashes.
No interest in any more brushes really. After the Rudy Vey group buy, I have no real plans to purchase any more.
Re-knotting older brushes, maybe.
No real interest in any more DEs.
If I don't already have it, I probably can't afford it.
No interest in any more SEs really either.
Got a OneBlade Hybrid, a Damaskeene, a Clog-Pruf, an MMOC, and a Schick injector that are all great.

All ADs currently under control. (Famous last words.)

I'm not really interested in building a a large collection, but rather discovering a limited handful of products that work well for me. I have bought three razors, a brush, and a handful of soaps in my two years of wetshaving, and will likely buy some more in the coming months, but this is in the interest of finding things that possibly work better for me and I'd like to keep my collection around that size.

I had a nightmare a while back that my oldest son was injured by a Blackland razor so anything made by them are banned from my house..

1. No interest in non-milled soaps. Happy with Cade and PdP, and VDH or Williams will serve in a pinch.
  2. No interest in razors. Happy with my Gem 1912, New LC, and injector. SRs too difficult for me.
  3. No interest in AS's that aren't Menthol, Pinaud, or Avon. I need to try a few more Pinauds to find all that I like, and I like Avon bottles.
  4. No interest in brushes except wooden handled boar brushes. Prefer boar to other types and like the look of wood.
  5. No interest in bowls/scuttles. I face lather.
  6. No interest in razor or brush stands.
  7. No interest in removing the 'stache! Beard is optional.
  8. No interest in blades.
  9. No interest in commercially produced beard/pre-shave oils. Too easy to DIY with great cost savings.
  10. No interest in colognes.

1. Interest in EOs for use in my beard/pre-shave oils.
  2. Interest in finding a menthol milled soap, use Proraso green currently.
  3. Interest in Wooden handled boar brushes.

Not interested in:

Soap of any kind
Deodorant of any kind
Shampoo of any kind
Conditioner of any kind
Hair products of any kind
Shaving brushes of any kind
Shaving soap of any kind
Shaving cream of any kind
Aftershave of any kind
Double edge razors of any kind
Single edge razors of any kind
Shavettes of any kind
Kamisoris of any kind
Straight razors of any kind
Alum block of any kind
Pre-shave of any kind
Post-shave of any kind
Styptic/wound care of any kind
Fragrance of any kind

I scrape the hair off of my face in my root cellar with a piece of sharp flint by the light of an oil lantern.

Not interested in:

Soap of any kind
Deodorant of any kind
Shampoo of any kind
Conditioner of any kind
Hair products of any kind
Shaving brushes of any kind
Shaving soap of any kind
Shaving cream of any kind
Aftershave of any kind
Double edge razors of any kind
Single edge razors of any kind
Shavettes of any kind
Kamisoris of any kind
Straight razors of any kind
Alum block of any kind
Pre-shave of any kind
Post-shave of any kind
Styptic/wound care of any kind
Fragrance of any kind

I scrape the hair off of my face in my root cellar with a piece of sharp flint by the light of an oil lantern.
So you have an interest in shaving bowls and shaving scuttles....... good for you.:c9:

Not interested in:
  • canned goo or any DE razor sold at a drugstore
  • knock off Chinesium razors
  • boar brushes (unless they have a particularly interesting handle that would look good with a synthetic or badger knot)
  • straights (I'm happy with the three I have being used as art)
  • anymore DE89 heads
  • any soft product with patchouli or sandalwood stank
  • vintage razors that have premium price because they come with the original case, blades, etc.
  • vintage razors requiring any repair or anything more than cleaning to look presentable
  • wait listed products (sorry, just irks me....if I want to spend my money I don't like waiting)
Add to the list:
  • scuttles - just don't have an appeal to me
  • post shave balms - I don't like to feel greasy

I'm not interested in looking for or knowing more about :
Straight Razor and it's accessories- too much work, risk and expenses.
Besides, there is no market and products available for Straight Razor here in my country.
If I'd have started shaving with a straight razor, then I'd feel the same way about DE razors.

Matching Aftershaves : Ok, this is more because of lack of availability, everything must be imported to get matching splashes with soaps.
TOO MUCH HEADACHE
I'm happy with my Old Spice aftershave - Original and Musk.

Towels : Is that even a thing ?
I use my regular towel during shave, I have a white napkin with the toiletries set, but I never used it.

Now, everything I listed (except Straight Razor) as unnecessary are because getting them will be difficult and not worth my time.
I have nothing against people who enjoy the ritual, and I like to see their set-up.

There is nothing wrong with it, as long as it doesn't get overboard with the ritual.

We all are frugal in some or the other aspects of our life, if you are not frugal in any aspect then you are being frugal in being frugal.

I am interested in a really good tallow free soap with essential oils and without artificial perfumes. Even though most of the tallow is destroyed in the saponification process, some will remain and I think the idea of putting tallow over my face is disgusting, maybe because I am mostly a vegetarian. I am not a vegan, so I think bees wax and lanolin is still OK. Many times I have been searching for such soaps but I always fail to find them and if I would happen to find something they usually cost a lot when shipped to Europe.

But I have pretty much given up on this as it seems to be impossible.

I am interested in a really good tallow free soap with essential oils and without artificial perfumes. Even though most of the tallow is destroyed in the saponification process, some will remain and I think the idea of putting tallow over my face is disgusting, maybe because I am mostly a vegetarian. I am not a vegan, so I think bees wax and lanolin is still OK. Many times I have been searching for such soaps but I always fail to find them and if I would happen to find something they usually cost a lot when shipped to Europe.

CK-6 Astra Planeta
Wickham Parma Violet

Both very natural inoffensive scents.

Lathering bowls and scuttles. I tried bowl lathering when I started DE shaving, but found face lathering quicker. A few years later I heated up a mug of water in the microwave and put a small metal cup on top for a scuttle. This didn't enhance the shave and added took too much time.

Clove scented soaps & aftershaves
Extremely mild razors & blades (tried it but I find they cause more harm then good)
Boar brushes since they put my skin on fire
Over fattened soaps and creams

I do not know where you live, but Grooming Dept Nai is as good as the best tallow soaps in my den.

Top Bottom