What's new

What general shaving items aren't you interested in?

Brushes and software. My small collection of both I would characterization as inadvertent. My Plisson synth and MDC suit me fine.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I have a crazy number of soaps, too many razors, more brushes than I really need, etc.

But I am not crazy for aftershaves. I never feel the need to buy soap/aftershave sets. I always keep around 3 that don’t compete with the soap scents - Nivea balm, Lucky Tiger, and homemade unscented splash with menthol.

No use for:
preshave, Kyle's prep eliminated any chance for that.
after shave, never liked them and its a no go at work.
scuttles/bowls as I mostly face lather. I do own one cereal bowl I picked up at marshall's for a pittance. it has ridges on the outside that telegraph through to the interior. works great for the occasional sample.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
  • Shaving oils
  • Vintage gear
  • After shave lotions

Naturally, the more I read at B&B, the more likely this list is to change!

I’m still relatively new at this, so I don’t have a big list of things not interested in. Yet.

Still wide-eyed, learning, and having fun.

For now, though, I’m not interested in straights. Maybe one day I’ll give them a try.

The only other thing I’m not interested in are certain scents. It’s pointless to mention them, but they are disgusting to me. I imagine guys that like these scents use them as women repellent.

Soaps(I have 5 or 6) and brushes(just 2) interest me the least. I have a fairly large selection of blades but that is mostly to see what works best in my razors, once that is established I'll be sticking with the one blade that I found worked best for me in each razor.

I have 2 D.E. razors with a third on the way, and though I like razors quite a bit I'm trying not to get carried away with purchasing, so once the 3rd arrives(with 3 different baseplates) that's it for me for awhile unless I'm trading or selling one to get another.

I managed to last nearly 2 years D.E. shaving without purchasing a single aftershave splash, and then I decided to buy Aqua Velva from the pharmacy on a whim because it was so cheap......now I am finding it hard not to keep buying the damned things, up in double digits now and I only bought my first one approx. 2 months back. So I guess A.S. splashes have become my weakness within this fine hobby.

Not interested in:
Scuttles - I enjoy face lathering
Natural Bristles - I get a thicker more comfortable lather with a good synthetic and nothing has to lose its skin.
Strong scents - particularly the sweet or floral type. I prefer understated warm spices, citrus, amber & woody scents.

No real interest in synthetic brushes. I'm a dyed in the wool badger man. Why settle for less.

I can't be bothered with trying different bowls. I got one 10 years ago and it's been perfect. Why change?

I'm not interested in cartridge razors in any way.

Right now I'm not into straight razors as such. I love Feather Artist Club SS Kamisori but I'm not going down TV he rabbit hole of straights and maintaining them. It's too much faffing about right now, not to mention money. Something for the future perhaps.

Building a collection of vintage Gillette razors? Not for me I'm afraid. Most of them are in the US so shipping to the UK is costly and apart from the few I already have im not gonna start chasing a Fatboy or anything soon.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hi,

No interest in what I don't already use, which are:

Slant razors

Open Comb razors

Horsehair brush

Personna Med Prep or Lab Blue blades (made in Verona, VA, USA)

Vintage Oster tallow soap mixed 50/50 with modern Carden Farms glycerine soap
In an Old Spice mug

Face lathering (so, no lathering bowl or scuttle)

Lubriderm by way of aftershave

I have been at this since 1976, so I have tried a good many things which I don't use any longer. In other words, plenty of time to have figured out what works best for me. :)

Stan
Stan

You’re response had me in stitches. You sound old, grumpy and set in your ways (in the best possible way!). Knowing what you like and what you don’t, and being very straight about it, is one of the best parts of getting old. You are a legend and I hope that one day I will get off the fence and settle on my own very specific selection!

Brushes.

Some time ago I broke the shaving process into 5 factors and the brush is by far, in my opinion, the least important of them, followed closely by soaps. The importance of soaps is greatly overrated.

This being said I will indulge with software, I just did a recount two days ago and I am on 13. I plan on keeping it like this.

Brushes, I own 4 and 90% of the time I use the same one. Can't imagine myself falling that particular rabbit hole.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Stan

You’re response had me in stitches. You sound old, grumpy and set in your ways (in the best possible way!). Knowing what you like and what you don’t, and being very straight about it, is one of the best parts of getting old. You are a legend and I hope that one day I will get off the fence and settle on my own very specific selection!

Hi,

Yup! I just turned 59, so Old. You know, what everyone is over 30! :p

It took me a long time to settle out on that list, too. I went thru more soaps back during the late 1980's and early 1990's during the Shaving Apocalypse (when it was nearly impossible to source shaving stuff). The Med Preps and Lab Blues could be had at the surgical supply store, but that was it for sourcing blades.

I used that one brush from the early 80's for 20 some years mostly because it was still working fine. But, if I needed a new one during that time, I'd have been out of luck.

Lots of razors, all leftover old ones given to me. I sold many here on the BST once I got the Fasan. That is still being used even though I have that new ATT S2, and it isn't clear that the S2 is going to displace it. I have been trying the S2 out since January and still unsure about it. The Fasan is tha good.

I didn't unload all my razors. I still have several Open Combs that come out to play in October, and a few other heirloom ones around.

But, the bottom line is eventually one finds what works really well and then sticks with it. :)

Stan

No real interest in synthetic brushes. I'm a dyed in the wool badger man. Why settle for less?.......
Um, because they are NOT less? The newer synths, in my opinion, are far superior to badger hair in every conceivable way. If you haven't tried one of the latest generation of synth brushes, you don't have any idea what you are missing.

I have a beautiful best badger in a vintage butterscotch Klenzo handle that I keep only because it looks good on my chest-of-drawers.

Any pre-shave, I use just a hot tap eater washcloth soak
2 bowls or a scuttle, I press a soap into a nice ceramic bowl and make my lather on the puck
Post-shave oils or creams, good ole Lucky Tiger or Aqua Velva ends my shave

Um, because they are NOT less? The newer synths, in my opinion, are far superior to badger hair in every conceivable way. If you haven't tried one of the latest generation of synth brushes, you don't have any idea what you are missing.

I have a beautiful best badger in a vintage butterscotch Klenzo handle that I keep only because it looks good on my chest-of-drawers.

I'm just not a fan. I've got a Chubby 2 Synthetic and an Alpha T400 Rubberset Tribute synthetic and honestly I still think the badgers are better.

It's the feel of them. They just feel, well synthetic and not natural.

Just a personal preference.

Top Bottom