What's new

What French Press do you have?

I've got a cheapy 12 oz glass FP, don't use it all that often m'self, Usually have the espresso machine fired up, but the French Press is always useful for when I'm away from my den (or anywhere where there isnt a decent coffee shop, which is difficult to do these days it seems, at least where I go)

At work I have an old '4-cup' Bodum Kenya (via Charbucks).
SWMBO bought an '8-cup' (which to me is a 3-mug) Chambord the other day.
Dunno why. The >25-year-old old beige Bodum from my college days works just fine:

proxy.php

On the other hand, we're both delighted with the refurb Virtuoso we just acquired.
At the coarse end, grinds very nicely for French Press.

Last edited:
Dunno why. The >25-year-old old beige Bodum from my college days works just fine:

On the other hand, we're both delighted with the refurb Virtuoso we just acquired.

It's good to see you in this forum again, Richard!

An 8 cup Bodum is technically an 8 tasse capacity Bodum. A tasse is 4oz (8 tasse = 32oz and so on). That's why a demitasse cup (or espresso cup as we usually call it) is 2oz in volume...demi meaning "half" in old French. Therefore making it half a tasse.

But really -- what good is a 4 oz. tasse?
That's just enough to annoy. :mad3:

12 oz. is about where I get started.

So, for me (and many others, I suspect),
Bodum's 8 cups is about 3 mugs.
Which (for me), is the only sensible way
to drink (French press) coffee.

(Now espresso, that's another cup o' joe. :001_rolle)

And now I'm gonna go make me a mug o' coffee ...

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Barista Insulated, I don't know how many cups it's supposed to make but I can get 2.5 or 3 mugs off coffee out of it. I probably wouldn't have purchased this one for myself because it was expensive, but I was given it by someone who didn't like the sediment they were getting at the bottom of the cup with it. This thing is practically indestructible.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Because it's beige ?:laugh:
Do you guys find that the coffee gets cold too fast in the non thermal insulated ones?

It's a european thing, over there they give you tiny cups of coffee, it's more like a taste rather than a drink. I've got an 8 cup brazil and 4 cup, not sure the name but it's the steel/chrome one. If you make extra, I don't like to leave it in there as some of the other guys said get yourself a Thermos, pre-heat and fill with the remainder or it will get pretty bitter. I don't think I could handle having the 1 cup, unless you're like me and your "1" cup is actually a 4 cup but just fits into one of your cups!

Because it's beige ?:laugh:
Do you guys find that the coffee gets cold too fast in the non thermal insulated ones?
Yes, it gets cold fast.
If I have the presence of mind, I preheat the carafe and the mugs.

If it gets cold ... well, that's what I use the microwave for.

I also have a Bodum 8-cup. Use it daily, couldn't imagine using a smaller one would have to constantly refill it.

Top Bottom