What's new

What fragrance for an older guy to wear for female demographic 25 to 35 ?

By all means, be a man. Wear what you want. But if you're fishing, use the right bait.

+1!

Unfortunately, some of our B&B favorite scents don't just smell "mature" to some young ladies, they smell "bad." I wish it weren't so, but it's true.

I feel that there's an appropriate time for the AV and Clubman I love, and there's an appropriate time for something SWMBO would appreciate more (we're both in our mid twenties).

You can wear something modern without having to resort to a generic aquatic scent. I second other posters' suggestion of Terre, maybe you should try D&G The One while you're at it. They're easy to find anywhere that sells cologne and you could sample some other stuff to find something that suits you.

Last edited:
+1!

Unfortunately, some of our B&B favorite scents don't just smell "mature" to some young ladies, they smell "bad." I wish it weren't so, but it's true.

I feel that there's an appropriate time for the AV and Clubman I love, and there's an appropriate time for something SWMBO would appreciate more (we're both in our mid twenties).

Totally. I love Clubman and Old Spice and the scent that started this thread- PS by Paul Sebastian. But gotta pick my spots with those.

I think any woman who is repulsed by things like Grey Flannel, Pino Silvestre, Zino Davidoff, and Lomani Pour Homme would not have a future with me anyway. You know, these aren't exactly trendy mainstream scents, but they all have a pretty masculine and fresh profile. I'm not saying she has to love them, but if they turn her off then that's a deal-breaker. Powerhouses like Quorum and Kouros - I can totally get a lady not enjoying those. No problem there. But some things are simply good taste, and why feel persecuted for having it?

I am dating anyone but my wife who seemd indifferent to most everything I wear, but I do generally wear a scent and would have on a date or to a social "function" where I meet meet someone datable, so I personally would have to make some kind of scent or other! And I would no more ask a newly dated woman for suggestions as to what scent I should wear, than I would what clothes I shoud wear, what wine I should drink or any number of other personal things. If it comes up organically, sure.

Even in this day and age, I think it is better for the man to lead rather than follow. As the guy in the relationship, I should be as confident as possible as to all sorts of things and should seem so, even if I am doing lots of things specifically to be attractive to someone else!
I did not mean you would need to actually ask her what she liked. Rather, you would learn if she is allergic or hates all scents, get an idea of her general personality, likes, dislikes and then use your judgement as to which scents she may like. The rest is trial and error. To simply use age as the desideratum is somewhat reductionist. I work with a number of very attractive woman with ages running from early 20s to mid 50's and their activities and proclivities are so individual and often in direct contradistinction to what their age would suggest (the 23 yo already has 2 kids and is the ultimate homemaker while a 43 yo is a bodybuilder). One even sells Avon on the side and has strong opinions on colognes which she imposes on her significant other with great enjoyment!

Either be a rich older guy and buy yourself one of the arabian oud perfumes (a drop which is smeared all over your body will do for a dy and a night) - or - go to your nearest aveda store and get a bottle of "Eros". put one or two spritzes in the air and walk fully clothed through the light mist. Go out - have a fun time and report back the next day!

Absolutely the right solution,weldone my friend:laugh:

If I may I would like to add one more thought. There really is nothing worse, no matter how much I like the fragrance, to be in the same room, let alone close, to someone who has too much fragrance on. It's one of those things that less is more... KWIM?

As has been said, wear something that makes you feel confident, smells good on you, and don't wear too much of it.

If you would prefer to attract somewhat classy women I would suggest trying Clive Christian C, or Creed Aventus. The Clive Christian scent is my wifes current favorite scent.

We were going out the other night after our daughters basketball practice, so I had some C on. I had questions about what I was wearing from a couple of nice ladies, and one told my wife that whatever I was wearing smelled better than anything she had ever smelled, and asked what it was. It never fails to get positive comments from the ladies.

I have only had some Aventus for a couple of weeks, but so far I really like it. Like the Clive Christian scents you probably won't smell anything like the last ten guys a lady has been close enough to get a whiff of. Both scents seem to last a good while on me, and I suspect it is from utilizing better bases and such. Both are not cheap, and though I don't always buy into the "expensive is always better" way of thinking, in this case it does guarantee you a little bit of exclusivity. On occasion I will go to a really nice mens only hair place. The extremely attractive lady there that does my hair commented on my C last time I was there, and said that if one more guy came in that day wearing Aqua Di Gio she would probably go crazy. I think a lot of ladies are pretty accustomed to some of the standard scents. Spend a little more and be unique. Just an idea.

Drysideshooter- you're certainly right about C being pretty exclusive. It sure ain't no AdG. But price will make a lot of guys who stumble in here freak and never come back. It is a great scent, quite similar in many men's view to TF Tuscan Leather. But more refined with a ton of different notes.

I could be wrong, but I'm not thinking "money is no object" for the OP.

Aventus while nearly as pricey is at least available in smaller bottles that won't cause you to miss a mortgage payment. I've got some sort of scent blindness to Aventus, but almost every time I wear it, women comment on it...quite positively. I have mixed feelings about Creed and I don't love Aventus, but they did some show some real perfuming smarts with whatever they snuck into this one.

I just picked up a bottle each of C.O. Bigelow's Elixir Black and Elixir Blue.

They are cheap.

My wife is 27. She likes them.

You're welcome.

Drysideshooter- you're certainly right about C being pretty exclusive. It sure ain't no AdG. But price will make a lot of guys who stumble in here freak and never come back. It is a great scent, quite similar in many men's view to TF Tuscan Leather. But more refined with a ton of different notes.

Aventus while nearly as pricey is at least available in smaller bottles that won't cause you to miss a mortgage payment. I've got some sort of scent blindness to Aventus, but almost every time I wear it, women comment on it...quite positively. I have mixed feelings about Creed and I don't love Aventus, but they did some show some real perfuming smarts with whatever they snuck into this one.

I figured if he has been single for so long he just had to have saved a bunch of money :laugh:

Ok so ... some say wear whatever and others say wear a specific recommendation. I still say that there is a point in the OP's statement that I am focusing on, namely a long term relationship being sought. A long term relationship is not something that happens in a single date. As your personality evolves and changes from date to date, you may or may not continue to be attracted to someone you thought to tbe "the one" at an earlier date. So my point still is to take things slow and easy - and the fragrance(s) you wear should parallel the progression of your relationship. Earlier scents would be something more acceptable to both and later scents more daring and exploratory. I understand Knizes point of a woman not getting along with him if she doesn't like his fragrances - but - there are a thousand (or more) fragrances out there and I am sure that even Knize has some he abhors! Why take the risk of wearing something that (off chance) is abhorent to your date before finding out more of what she likes? One other point is that every relationship is a two-way street. A date is but a short instant in developing a relationship and various factors contribute to the relationship being formed (one of which is the fragrance you wear - so many others like which yacht you select for the evening also play a part in the attraction as someone else pointed out).

Something that makes you smell like vanilla or fruit or cinnamon and apples or figs. Is it really worth this? (Just kidding). Good luck.

I find that young(er) women prefer the scent of old money, e.g. Ben Franklins in the USA. However, for a fragrance they seem to go for the soap and water type, like Aqua di Gio.

All good suggestions were made. Go to a fragrance counter at a large store, Saks, Bloomies, Neimans, and ask the young girl behind the men's counter what she likes on you. That's the one to buy! Oh, and keep your wallet full of the Benjamin's!

A few weeks ago I stopped into my favorite fragrance shop to find something woody and fresh, and I had no idea what to get. I know the guy in there, he's an older middle eastern guy who has been wearing Brut his entire life. And he was sampling me some different things, and my indecision continued, and then we got into talking about quality and the effect of fragrance in general. And he said, "It's not about price, sir. It's not about that at all. Perfume is an illusion. You don't smell it on yourself, but others around you do. But whether it is cheap or expensive does not matter. It matters that it smells good."

So really, for the OP, as StylinLA and others have mentioned, price is daunting in the hunt for a new scent. But I wouldn't get snaked into thinking that the more $$$ you spend, the better off you'll be. I'm currently wearing Pinaud Special Reserve. I'm a guy who has worn Creed, Malle, Lutens. Let me just say here that Special Reserve smells great. It's a solid leather. There's always a better leather out there, and SR is not king of the crop. But for $10 this is truly excellent stuff. Clean, leathery, some distinct oakmoss and patchouli. Simple. It bears trying.

Sample a lot of things. Be open minded. Yes, the expensive stuff is amazing, but the things you can wear for the price of a sandwich can be equally special and memorable.

from shaveBandito:

<I understand Knizes point of a woman not getting along with him if she doesn't like his fragrances - but - there are a thousand (or more) fragrances out there and I am sure that even Knize has some he abhors!>​

I am not at all complaining, of course, but that miscontrues what I said a bit and I clarify for what it may be worth to the "audience at home."

What I think I said (being too lazy to go back to my actual post, sorry!) was that "a woman who could not tolerate scents and I were not likely to have much of a future anyway."

I did not mean to refer to a woman who did not like "my particular scents," or "say" my first choice in scents if I were going to wear a scent simply to please myself. I meant I would likely not have a future with a woman who was adverse to all scents in general, and I am come to know that there are some such women, or, say, have an allergic type reactions to virtually all scents or simply do not like any of the very wide range of mens fragrances. The scenario posed, as I recall, was a little different, I know. The suggestion I was responding to was to go into early dates wearing no frag other than soap and to develop some understanding of what one's date might like best over the course of the initial dates before wearing anything.

You can be assured that whatever scent I wore on say a first date would be my best guess at what the particular lady would most like, and part of that calculation on my part would be age group. To the extent I could fine tune my research on this I surely would. What I would most like to wear if I were trying to please only myself on whatever the dating activity was, would come in virtually last on the criteria for selecting a scent. In other words, I would wear a scent and I would dress for that matter, for the particular audience I was trying to reach! And I would keep the scent quite subdued. (If I were going out to some singles type event, or an event where I thought there might be women I might want to meet, or to even any old bar, no matter what the purpose, I probably would not be as subdued with the scent. I doubt that I would ever go for the projection and sillage some young men favor, but I would turn it up a notch over a what I would wear on a first date. Just as I might wear flashier clothes to a formal dance or to a bar than on a first date.)

For that matter, I have long been married to a woman who is largely indifferent to most of the scents I wear, and absolutely hates one that I love and would probably put in my top five or so all time favorites. But I could do without wearing many scents, so long as there were some left that were tolerable to the lady, so I absolutely agree with shaveBandito there.

Just wanted to make clear that I firmly believe in tailoring the scent to the audience, if I know of any way to do that!

BTW, my fantasy, is that the OP, Bass301, after all of this is going to develop the interest in and AD for scents that so many of us suffer from, and he will lose interest in, and not have time to, chase women of any age at all! I would say that based upon my long ago experience, pursuing scents is much, much cheaper than pursing woman, particulary if one is looking to develop a collection of woman--not that I am advocating that by any means!

I graduated from highschool last year. And the girl I am dating (same age as me) loves the aquatic stuff I have. I've always been a fan of sweeter, not so manly scents. Cause I am not so manly. But when I let her sniff some Spanish leather and sandalwood scents from Trumper that I got samples of, she liked them a lot. I guess cause they started to suit me a lot more, since I dress less like a teen hipster and more like a respectable, functioning member of society. Kind of. Still some teen hipster in me.

And when I was in highschool, girls always commented on how a guy smelt after they found him attractive and confident. And the cologne the guy wore wasn't always aquatic. Or expensive. Or even good. It was just the fact they were wearing cologne.

So I guess this is what I'm trying to say. Wear the scent that suits you. And wear the scent, don't let it wear you. If you wear a scent that suits you, especially if it is one no other guy is even close to wearing, it will show you aren't like every other guy. And you want a girl that likes the same stuff you like, and you want to be honest. And that includes being honest with how you smell.

If you are a musician you don't need a lot of cologne. I'm not even kidding here. Let some sweat set in. It shows you put in enough effort to sweat to put on a good show.

Dude? SERIOUSLY? Okay, man-to-man talk, straight up:

JUST WEAR WHAT YOU LIKE. Do your research - find a scent you enjoy wearing for any reason at all. Then go online or to a Sephora outlet and find scents that are similar. Do some research on fragrances, period. Study them a little.

Above all, get in to the enjoyment of wearing a scent just for it's own sake.

Because, no matter how old YOU are or how old THEY are, trying to plot wearing a fragrance to appeal to an AGE DEMOGRAPHIC is pointless, doomed to outright fail, and just drain your wallet.

Wearing scent is a gift to yourself, a way to explore the world, and elevate your personal style. Enjoy the ride, man. Try anything and everything out there until you know your way around.

Believe me, son - there are no spreadsheets, shaving forums, personal ads or any of this kind of thing that will make you more attractive, more confident, or more available than trusting your own instincts and being a confident, mature, curious and self-assured person.

But hey - yah. You can always just huff Acqua di Geo and see what happens. 100's of guys do it every day. But I think you can do much, much better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom