What's new

What fragrance for an older guy to wear for female demographic 25 to 35 ?

Knize, I wonder what the one scent your wife hates is?

Pen's Douro, truly one of my all time favorites as I said! She must smell something in it that I do not. Among other things, she has thought that I had it on way too heavily, when I have asked other folks whether it was applied too strongly, and their response was essentialy to the effect that they had not noticed any scent on and scent and would not have said I was using any scent!

There are a other scents she does not care for where her dislike is at a much lower level of intensively and may be based on something other than simply not liking the scent. For instance, she was not wild about Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie when I first put it on the other day. I am not sure whether it was the leather she did not like, whether it seemed kind of funky or something, or whether she was thinking is was kind of sweet for a man's scent. I should ask her. Her comments seemed to be something like it might not be a scent I would want to wear.

And she is apparently wholly indifferent to lots and lots of scents I have that to me are wonderful, captivating, uplifting, transporting, trancendental, etc.

However, she has demonstrated extremely good taste by liking some scents potentially difficult for many people, particularly folks not experienced with a lot of, shall we say, expensive scents. I am blanking on many of these i am sure I should be remembering, but I know that she had been a big fan of MdM from the first whiff she got of it. I love it now, but I could not have said that about myself. It may also be Mazzolari Lui that she like immediately, which may be even more interesting and amazing. MdM and Lui are to me packed with animalic scents that make them potentially difficult scents!

Thanks for posting, porkpie! Welcome to the Fragrance Forum!

I am trying to find a signature scent or two to match myself to as a beginning , then find a relationship so I can let a lady choose her favorite from a variety of several decant samplers.

I think you're putting a little too much thought into your scent. If you look 36, and are 5'11", 175 lbs. then a nice cologne is just a cherry on top. Everyone's nose is different so its hard to say what universal fragrance is going to appeal to a certain age group. And they will likely lie to you and tell you they like it, the same as you would lie to them. Just find something that YOU like and make that your 'signature scent.'

Viewing other threads the YSL Rive Gauche is often mentioned as acceptable for men of all ages.

The brief mention of it on this thread implies it is in some way less appropriate for my purposes than other scents. The reviews describing Rive Gauche as "barbershop" and "Barbasol" imply it is a scent associated with older men but also that it is fresh and clean.

Would Rive Gauche be appropriate for me as a day time scent then use another scent ( Aventus , TdH , etc) as an after dark scent ?

Or , would Aventus , Tdh , etc be acceptable at all hours of the day and night with no need to use Rive Gauche ?

During the day perhaps it is better to just smell fresh and clean rather than as if trying to wear a scent , then after dark become more adventurous.

The "barbershop" and "Barbasol" associations of Rive Gauche really make me question the appropriateness for me. Even though I might personally enjoy the scent I also am the guy whose favorite was Paul Sebastian which is not appropriate for the younger generation.

Viewing other threads the YSL Rive Gauche is often mentioned as acceptable for men of all ages.

The brief mention of it on this thread implies it is in some way less appropriate for my purposes than other scents. The reviews describing Rive Gauche as "barbershop" and "Barbasol" imply it is a scent associated with older men but also that it is fresh and clean.

Would Rive Gauche be appropriate for me as a day time scent then use another scent ( Aventus , TdH , etc) as an after dark scent ?

Or , would Aventus , Tdh , etc be acceptable at all hours of the day and night with no need to use Rive Gauche ?

During the day perhaps it is better to just smell fresh and clean rather than as if trying to wear a scent , then after dark become more adventurous.

The "barbershop" and "Barbasol" associations of Rive Gauche really make me question the appropriateness for me. Even though I might personally enjoy the scent I also am the guy whose favorite was Paul Sebastian which is not appropriate for the younger generation.

I suggest you stay away from Rive Gauche. Others will no doubt disagree, as there is as, you point out, much love for Rive Gauche. But I think it does have a bit of "barbershop" feel that you wouldn't want to be "caught by surprise" wearing. Either Aventus or TdH would most likely be enjoyable for you during the day (these also get a lot of love here), and you wouldn't have to change for evening wear, nor would you feel "inappropriately scented" if you unexpectedly met someone you are interested in during the day.

I suggest you stay away from Rive Gauche. Others will no doubt disagree, as there is as, you point out, much love for Rive Gauche. But I think it does have a bit of "barbershop" feel that you wouldn't want to be "caught by surprise" wearing. Either Aventus or TdH would most likely be enjoyable for you during the day (these also get a lot of love here), and you wouldn't have to change for evening wear, nor would you feel "inappropriately scented" if you unexpectedly met someone you are interested in during the day.

I totally agree with the sage advice from Randy. I love Rive Gauche but not a single one of the 30 or so women I work with everyday (that have smelled it) care for it at all. I have a small decant of Aventus. I think it smells ok. It definitely isn't a favorite. However, those same females really like it. TdH is somewhere in the middle for my 'test group'. :laugh:

To the OP:

You might be in luck:

As you would probably want something to happen as in the AXE-commercials, you want the AXE-Effect!

And I have seen, recently, some AXE after shaves in Holland and Germany. So, this would not only give you the right smell, but would also open up a nice conversation about the other great hobby you have: shaving.

And the AXE-aftershaves (in the commercials) seem to be working already when you both ride a bus, so no Porsches or Yachts needed!

Lots of success!

Top Bottom