What's new

What fragrance for an older guy to wear for female demographic 25 to 35 ?

What fragrance to wear for an older guy in singles scene of women 25 to 35 ?

I am in the music industry , always been single without children, , and even though in my late 40's most people assume my visual age is about 36. I personally do not care what I smell like as long as women like it. A far greater number of women are single under 35 than over 35, and my life style and has more in common with women under 35 than over 35.

I am new to fragrances and in my research reading B&B forums I thought my search had been narrowed down to a rotation of Paul Sebastian and Tabac. Very affordable , able to wear during day and evening , and not too many single guys wearing them nowadays compared to the aquatic scents so popular the past ten years. I had been planning on using PS and Tabac in rotation , finding a relationship, then getting several sampler decants of more expensive fragrances so a lady could choose her personal favorite or two.

However , a recent thread I started about Paul Sebastian has brought up an additional factor about which fragrances to start with :

Women of different age groups apparently respond differently to different fragrances.

Which means PS and Tabac might not be appropriate for the 25 to 35 female demographic.

A few comments from the other thread are :

"If you are intent on attracting young women , Paul Sebastian probably isn't going to do it for you. It is from another time and most likely isn't going to appeal to today's generation."

"... the thing here is the age of those commenting - the two girls were young (note : under 25) and for whatever reason, probably just conditioning, they find calone and synthetic strawberry and melons more attractive than lavender, woods, and vanilla. As a 29 year-old, I can empathize with this sad state of affairs."

"If they were younger women, bear in mind too they've grown up in a world of aquatic light weight scents like Issey, AdG, etc. PS is an 80s kind of scent that had it's hey day 15 years before they were born."

"I like PS, but when you wear you have to understand some younger people won't "get" it. PS is from 1979, so if they were around 25, this scent was around 7 years before they were born, and they didn't start paying attention to men's scents until the late 90s when men's scents were light, aquatic, or sickly sweet for the most part."

"If chasing 25-year-old women is an interest, there are better scents to wear than PS. PS is a great wet shaver scent, and I'm a fan, but a lot of the scents we chat up in here are very traditional, manly man "mature" scents. PS has a pretty strong similarity to Old Spice, and some young women (including young women in their 30s or 40s) are going to find it too "mature."

What should I do ?

Buy a bottle of Acqua di Gio, bathe in it, and call it a morning. They'll be all over you.

Also I hope to god this is a joke thread.

Good advice Dewaine , I wish it were possible but I am having to look for younger women because the percentage of available older women is low and my life style has more in common with younger women than older women.

justinp , I more than anyone wish it were a joke but it is not. Thanks for advice on AdG.

Last edited:
Good advice Dewaine , I wish it were possible but I am having to look for younger women because the percentage of available older women is low and my life style has more in common with younger women than older women.

justinp , I more than anyone wish it were a joke but it is not. Thanks for advice on AdG.

It depends on what you look like. If you're relatively slim and a little bit "rockstar-ish" I actually wouldn't use much fragrance. The musk of your guitar sweat will do. I'm not joking. I hang out with a lot of hipster girls. Maybe accent it with a small amount of something patchouli-heavy.

If you're not, don't wear an aquatic. You'll catch only the stupid girls. Wear something young and a LITTLE bit spicy. Xeryus Rouge is always a good one. Just don't put on too much... just enough that they can smell it when you lean in.

Elecid ,

Yes, the problem in my being single is taking it for granted so long. I have been a workaholic for decades and keep myself in good shape with running and light weight training ( 5'11 height , 175 weight). My face looks 36 or younger rather than late 40's.

I do look like a rock star with hair and nice leather jackets (not motorcycle jackets, which are good but just not what I wear) but my personal style is more upscale jazz elegance and gentility rather than gritty rock. I live a very clean life.

I am trying to find a signature scent or two to match myself to as a beginning , then find a relationship so I can let a lady choose her favorite from a variety of several decant samplers.

Last edited:
A fragrance will not make you more attractive, likable, interesting or sexy, That's all an inside job. Wear what YOU like with confidence- Women love that.

Last edited:
I'm 25 this week, most women in my age range that I meet don't really care what scent you're wearing. Some scents may make them come up to you and say "omg you smell great" but the compliment is about it, especially if you're in a bar or something.

I always get compliments on my scents from the women I'm with, but I don't select them for that specific purpose and most of them are "old man scents." Probably what they like the most about the scents is that they're not ones that everyone is wearing.

Just find a scent that you like and wear it.

Last edited:
My wife is 31, so she falls right in the age group you are interacting with. My wife is very typical in that she likes the lighter, aquatic scents that so many (including myself) loathe.

You have to understand why they are loathed so much. It started in the 90s with L'eau D'Issey (which might just fit the bill for you) and has sort of snowballed since then. It seems that every major cologne designer went from heavier, better projection /sillage, longer lasting, more complex (to many) scents to more of these "watered down", fresh, clean, "aquatic" scents.

Everyone wore them, bathed in them, copied them, re-copied them, and on and on and it still continues today. There aren't too many newer scents out there in the designer fragrance market that make scents like they used to that appeal to a more heavy, rough, masculine clientele base. Thus the hate.

Enough about the history and onto a solution. You will find there are some nice scents made today that will appeal to the younger crowd. You can wear a great, well made fragrance, feel confident about yourself while wearing it (the ladies like this), and the younger ladies will like to smell it. In my experience (my wife loves them and so do her friends), you can't go wrong with any of these:

Creed Aventus (I doubt anyone will argue this is a lady pleaser)
Creed Original Vetiver
Creed Green Irish Tweed (or Cool Water for a cheaper synthetic version)
Aqua di Gio (yuck..)

Then there's the gourmands.... which is a whole different story (not my thing at all, but the younger ladies like 'em):

Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier
Angel Men by Theirry Mugler

Following on with Tim's suggestions, I would recommend checking out:

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine (an anise gourmand)
Trussardi Inside Man (my 25 yo paralegal keeps coming to my office today wanting to smell it on me because she keeps saying she really likes it)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier
Angel Men by Theirry Mugler

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These seem to be what the smarter, mover and shaker types are wearing......

I don't like them much either.....

Last edited:
Common age split here in Montreal and most European cities, I couldn't date a woman less than 10 years younger, not cause I won't, just cause they wouldn't tolerate me; the multiple ADs are a good example. I have always gotten along better with women in general and >3/4 of my friends are women (and I really MEAN friends), >50% of them are whithin 2 years of my age.

Here's my take from experience, not by design: YMMV, as with all discussions on scents. Have a signature scent, wear it daily, especially if a woman takes interest in you to the point of geting close enough to smell you daily. Let her get use to it and recognize it. For the young and "trendy" (not trendsetters but average trendy) in the 20's 30's these are great signature scents that women seem to like:

-Creed: GIT, Aventus
-D&G the one
-If you can pull off this "too heavy for me" club scene fragrance, go ahead: Paco Rabanne’s 1 Million, this is the present euro "trendy" scent, early 20's, last couple of years.
-Or a clean Vetiver if you just want to project some youth and freshness

However, once a woman has recognized your "signature scent" a few times, make sure you occasionally insert that older man's fragrance that truly represents you well or is very earthy or musky or old-world leathery or a tobacco scent etc ... whatever works for you and has some history or something to talk about. If this is a woman you know/meet at work or amongst social affairs, wear this "new" scent on a day that you are alone with her ... it's now "hers", not yours. There are huge lists of great "manly" scents but here are my faves, they may be too old-romantic-dirt or heavy for some:

-Darkish earthy with old world history: Eucris, C&S 88
-Ford: Tobacco Vanille
-Try an Aoud, Montale's Cuire d'Arabie or Black Aoud.

I fully agree that there are some scents/clothes/fashions that just help you identify more with certain "scenes" and or generations, and people will always say things like "you should stand out" "just wear what you like" etc etc etc ... Otherwise, I agree with some of the above; there are no magic bullets ... But there are scents/fashions that are just part of the palate of different social groups; I wouldn't go to an interview at Google wearing an uber-classic pinstripe suit with a white shirt and English Fern, nor would I go for an interview at IBM wearing Nudie Jeans with an ETRO shirt and wearing Rabanne's 1 million :) Yeah sure you're "being yourself", but if your goal is either one of those ... you also need to have a clue.

Then again we choose WHERE we go for interviews based on what we like in the first place, not the other way around ... the parallel is ... I wear what I like, and not what I think will "work" with women. However, I have also "grown up" in the age group "10 below" and have likely developed some of the same preferences

I've had this same discussion with some of my younger male friends who suddenly take an interest in scents in their late 20's and I see nothing wrong with your question, it remains quite valid as long as you stay true to yourself.

Last edited:
Another way to do it, besides OS: You're in the music industry. Try rubbing money all over yourself. Bathe in it, rub it in intimate areas. That should get some of them, too. :001_rolle

Creed Aventus
Acqua di Gio
Bleu de Channel
Creed Original Vetiver
Penhaligons Endymion
L'eau de Issey Miyake
Tom Ford Tobaaco Vanille
Rochas Man
L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
Creed Silver Mountain Water
Creed Millesime Imperial

Clubbing Scents
Gaultier Le Male
Paco Rabanne 1 Million
A*Men

These are all radically different than Tabac and PS. Good luck. It will take a lot of mojo to date 25-year-old women at your age and there is no magic in these bottles.

But these will be pretty well liked and relatable for young women. I would suggest avoiding the clubbing scents. They can seem a bit much on guys over 40 imo as in "trying too hard."

Last edited:
Top Bottom