What's new

What features do you look out for in a dopp kit?

As father's day is just a month away, I am thinking of buying a dopp kit for my father because he loves to travel and he always put all his toiletries in ziplock bags. However, I'm kinda unsure what features in dopp kits I should look out for.

What color should I get?
What texture of dopp kit should I buy? Leather? Nylon? Waxed Canvas?
What features should I look out for?

Let me know your comments! Appreciate that!

Two suggestions below. I prefer the dual-compartment bag, photo and link below. It's practical and washable; and there's a lot of room in both compartments.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandpiper-Cal...1362008&sr=8-3&keywords=military+toiletry+bag

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Compartm...1362052&sr=8-4&keywords=military+toiletry+bag

• proxy.php

The #1 potential problem with dopp kits is if something inside breaks and leaks into the surrounding clothing in the luggage. For that reason, the first characteristic is to find something waterproof or water resistant. After that is the question of size. Then it's just a matter of aesthetics.

As with shaving, you can spend as much as you want. The J. Crew Abingdon ($58) is a nice middle-range kit.

However, I'm kinda unsure what features in dopp kits I should look out for.

What color should I get?
What texture of dopp kit should I buy? Leather? Nylon? Waxed Canvas?
What features should I look out for?
Like many other things there are a lot of preferences involved. What are his on these matters? What would he find useful? What styles does he like?

Like many other things there are a lot of preferences involved. What are his on these matters? What would he find useful? What styles does he like?

He packs a number of things: his cologne, electronic shaver and some other necessary toiletries such as toothpaste toothbrush, comb etc. So a dopp kit which can place all these big items will be nice.

What he does everytime is to categorise them and place them into individual ziplock bags. I find this way unorganized so I decide to get him a dopp kit to place everything inside to be found easily.

As for styles and colors, I don't think he has a preference. That is why I wanted to just get something that is long-lasting. Be it leather, waxed canvas or nylon. I like to know which one is better and what color do you men get. Personally I don't own one :biggrin1: .

I like one that I can hang up in the bathroom when I travel, holds a lot of goodies, and is durable. I prefer ballistic nylon for its endurance.

tumi_packed_thumb.jpg

I would look for something that packs flat or is at least compact. I have received a number of large brick-shaped dopp kits and they simply take up too much space in my luggage to be practical.

My favorite is the refresh by Hard Graft, http://www.hardgraft.com/products/refresh-doppkit, but it's $250.

I like the idea of a vertical dopp kit. But you are gonna load everything off from the dopp kit once you are settled in the hotel. Love your suggestion anyway!

What about color of dopp kit? Which color do you men tend to buy?

I like the idea of a vertical dopp kit. But you are gonna load everything off from the dopp kit once you are settled in the hotel. Love your suggestion anyway!

What about color of dopp kit? Which color do you men tend to buy?

I actually like the vertical kit because it allows you to keep everything inside and not offload it. The virtue of dopp kits in general is that your stuff doesn't come in contact with what is essentially a public bathroom counter, and nothing gets left behind.

Another option is this one, which is made from recycled inner tubes:

http://www.amazon.com/Alchemy-Goods-Elliot-Travel-Recycled/dp/B006HGZWM2

The virtue of this one is: high style, durability, protects your other stuff in case something breaks. It also comes in several sizes. I feel that these things tend to be too large, and I value compactness.

In answer to your other question: I tend to like things in brown or black leather, although the blue on that refresh case was very nice.

Color is going to depend on the person. Leather is likely to be limited to tan, brown, black, and red. Fabric has more color options. Waxed canvas sounds interesting, but how does it hold up in the long run?

The only one you'd want to avoid is vinyl. These are usually leather look-alikes on a fabric backing, and will deteriorate over time. I had one once, and it didn't seem to last but a few years. My wife gave me a "freebee" kit that I think came with Nivea products, and it's still going strong.

It's not a proper dopp kit, but there is a small clear vinyl zippered case that is large enough to do the job, and we found one in ladies cosmetics. I assume the clear is for TSA.

My "freebee" kit has an outside zipper pocket which is nice. I put my disposable razors there.

As to liquids, I put anything that can break or leak in a ziplock bag, regardless of whether it's in a dopp kit or not.

I like multiple pockets to help organize things. If it's it's one big bucket make sure it opens wide so you can find stuff. Nothing like digging around for aspirin in the dark in the bottom of your dopp kit. That said I like one main compartment where I can dump all the bottles from the TSA Ziploc after I get where I'm going.
Size matters, and I would err on the side of too big. Most will smash down in the suitcase, and if it's too small you have to unload it to find anything. Then you have your toiletries scattered over what is, as someone already mentioned, basically a public restroom. Give him space to dig around.
I like black for color, and canvas or leather for material because they wear better.
I haven't found hangers to be of much use, but part of that is design issues. Most of the ones I have used with hangers half the stuff fell out when you opened the zippers.
My current favorite is a Briggs and Riley Executive Toiletry Kit. I got it from a friend of mine, and between the two of us it has 2000+ days on the road. The only noticeable wear is a little missing paint on the zippers.
As to liquids, I put anything that can break or leak in a ziplock bag, regardless of whether it's in a dopp kit or not.
+1 to that. Some things I even double bag. Fountain pen ink for example.
All of this is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.
JS

proxy.php

The DR Harris washbag is my preferred travel accessory. It's light and compact, yet hold everything you need for an extended stay away from home. Modeled after the British officer's washbag...

Two suggestions below. I prefer the dual-compartment bag, photo and link below. It's practical and washable; and there's a lot of room in both compartments.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandpiper-Cal...1362008&sr=8-3&keywords=military+toiletry+bag

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Compartm...1362052&sr=8-4&keywords=military+toiletry+bag

• proxy.php

+1

I travel to Asia on business two to three times a year for 1-3 weeks at a time. I looked for a bag that had sufficient space to hold all of my toiletries plus shaving kit and this two compartment canvas bag fit the bill.
My shaving gear (razor, blades, brush, 5 oz tub of shaving cream, AS balm, and lathering bowl) all fit nicely on the small side. Toiletries go in the large side with liquids in a ziplock bag to prevent messes if they happen to leak. Once checked in at my destination I prefer to take what I need out of the bag and leave on the bathroom counter, so a hanging bag didn't really interest me.

What I look for is an inexpensive faux leather bag with a large mouth like a doctors bag and a small internal pouch for nail clippers and scissors.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I use a Bentley's Hanging Leather Shave Kit ($24.99US), (originally from Wilsons Leather), but can be had off of Ebay. :thumbsup:

What I love about this kit is:

a) Zippered front pocket; zippered end cap pockets; 2 side handles
b) Dual-zip top closure
c) Large interior compartment; zippered mesh pocket on inner lid; zippered pocket; metal hanging loop
d) Genuine leather
e) Full lining
f) 11in (W) x 6in (H) x 6in (D)

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/128103-Gents-show-off-those-Dopp-kits

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]“One Razor, One Lather; One Shave at a Time”. CBJ[/FONT]

My needs are pretty simple. I only want a dopp bag that can hold all of my stuff neatly. Canvas/leather, embroidered/non all that is just icing on top, I really want a bag that can hold up to continuous travel and stays together.

Top Bottom