What's new

What exactly is Myrsol Plastic?

i have not tried any Myrsol aftershaves, but I love the colors and old school bottles. However one thing always comes to mind: what is plastic and what does it do to your face?

I've always assumed that "plastic" was a poor (or literal) translation of some Spanish term meaning "flexible" or "moldable." The product is similar to other Myrsol products with a scent that's a not-bad chemical scent (think newsprint) that smells slightly like Vick's cherry cough drops. I like other Myrsol products better, but I'm glad to have tried a sample of it.

I've always assumed that "plastic" was a poor (or literal) translation of some Spanish term meaning "flexible" or "moldable." The product is similar to other Myrsol products with a scent that's a not-bad chemical scent (think newsprint) that smells slightly like Vick's cherry cough drops. I like other Myrsol products better, but I'm glad to have tried a sample of it.
Does it do something special to the skin?

I’ve found that almost all of the Myrsol products have a slight menthol feel followed by a nice skin feel. I personally like Antesol and Lemon the best, although Metilsol is also nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The names sound almost as bad as the prices look. Are they different other than scent?
Before the apparent crackdown on overseas shipping of AS this past year, Myrsol was relatively cheap. I bought a liter (yes - a liter) of Antesol for about $25, shipped from Spain.

As far as the products go, there are variations on a theme as far as ingredients go. Antesol is the only one with allantoin in it. Metrisol has alum. The chart here shows the various combinations and is, I believe, fairly up to date. It is missing a couple of products that were released in the past year or two:

Myrsol ASLs & ASB - ingredients

I’ve never tried Plastic but my den will never be without Antesol. It’s my hands down favorite aftershave. Metilsol & Balsamica are nice too.

They’re all a little medicinal but u get used to it. Antesol has a nice light citrus spin to it & a touch of menthol to spice things up.

I have tried many Myrsol samples & my verdict is: Save your money as they won't do anything that Skin Bracer/ Barbasol wont do for a lot less money IMO. They all get the redness out from minor skin irritation.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I've recently been researching , again, the vexing world of myrsol. Scent descriptions are very difficult to come by. Well descriptions with any uniformity .also there's an even number of love and hate for each scent. No consensus that I could find reading several threads. Now that said, thus thread pops up and its made me feel pretty good given that I purchasedAntesol just a few days ago. Thanks for the opinions.

While I have not tried the Plastic, I do use F/Extra, Blue, Aqua Balsamica, and the K.

The scents are all different. F/Extra is a barbershop scent, Blue is like a Floid Blue/Aqua Velva type, K is pepermint, and Aqua Balsamica is a herbal healing aftershave.

You get what you pay for

The Plastic Shave has lactic acid in it, instead of the citric acid in the other formulas. The lactic acid is meant to tighten the skin. Hence "plastic".

Are they different other than scent?
Here is a chart I made to show the similarities and difference in the formulas. You can see many have the same ingredients, and differ only by scent. The numbers indicate order of precedence for the ingredients.

$Myrsol.png

The Plastic Shave has lactic acid in it, instead of the citric acid in the other formulas. The lactic acid is meant to tighten the skin. Hence "plastic".

Here is a chart I made to show the similarities and difference in the formulas. You can see many have the same ingredients, and differ only by scent. The numbers indicate order of precedence for the ingredients.

View attachment 860616
Now that’s an answer. Thanks!

Before the apparent crackdown on overseas shipping of AS this past year, Myrsol was relatively cheap. I bought a liter (yes - a liter) of Antesol for about $25, shipped from Spain.

As far as the products go, there are variations on a theme as far as ingredients go. Antesol is the only one with allantoin in it. Metrisol has alum. The chart here shows the various combinations and is, I believe, fairly up to date. It is missing a couple of products that were released in the past year or two:

Myrsol ASLs & ASB - ingredients
Another great answer. Thanks!

Great explanation! Thanks, I have had the same question.

View attachment 860616
that's good. Thanks

In my experience, these aftershaves are more about skin than scent. Yes, there is a scent. But they are all short lived. My favorites are Balsamic and Formula C for smell and skin effect. The other one I tried was a little too medicinal smelling for me. Metilsil, I think??? The idea is to use as an aftershave, not a scent or cologne. To me plastic smelled like rose

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I received the antesol flavor and used it today. I am very pleased with it. I used it as an after shave although this one is apparently also ok for a pre shave. I might try it as a pre tomorrow. I am horrible at describing the scent but I will try. This is not a barbershop scent at all. it is slightly medicinal smelling but pleasant but hard to describe. . it has very very little flowery or powdery scent (I only noticed a tiny hint of that about a 1/2 hour after application) As a point of reference I cannot stand the talbac, vegg and even to a lesser degree the floid flowery smell that smells to me of an old lady/ old granny. I read that antesol was similar somewhat to floid and was happy that it is not. anyway - scent aside ... the amount of menthol is perfect. the face feel was a 10. my face still feels nice and conditioned. I liked the application and face feel so much I am not interested in other varieties but am back to the confusion about the other flavors. but now having antesol i see the difficulty in describing the flavor / scent.

oh and lastly - that bottle. amazing glass bottle so cool and retro fits just so in my hand too.

ancient thread bump. I just got a bunch of Myrsol samples.
The two that excited me/stuck out the most:

Plastic: smells like hair spray + salon perms + silicone. Strange, but strangely cool.
metilsol: smells like Listerine. I actually love this. VERY medicinal and clean.

Top Bottom