What's new

What Exactly is a Gravity Knife?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A real gravity knife is like this:

Thanks for posting the video. I had heard the term before, but never really understood what that meant and how it would actually work.

Up here in Canada, certain types of knives are verboten ... auto knives main among them. (And balisong, gravity knive, &c.) Not being able to get one, part of me now wants one just to have one. On the other hand, having been "forced" to look to other options, I have found other options for one-hand-opening knives that work just as well for me ... and probably have a stronger locking mechanism than the forbidden knives.

Any assisted knife is illegal to my knowledge.
Autos and assisted knives especially. You can still order them - they might get through customs.
Gravity knife and Centrifugal knives are illegal as well.
Knives under 30cm that don't resemble a knife is also illegal.
Pocket knives are ok up to any length I think. I have one with a 5.5 blade.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are certain knives illegal to carry, or flat out illegal to own.
I am just curious....Jody

Well ... a little from column a and a little from column b.

That is, it's illegal to possess the "bad" knives but ... nobody really cares if they stay in your basement closet. The problem comes if you walk around with it or it otherwise comes to the attention of the cops.

A lot of the enforcement of the law, and even some of the laws themselves, are focused on police discretion to "get the bad guys" ... or at least the guys who want to walk around in public with an inappropriate amount of knife.

Clear as mud?

Yep.

35BFCD85-7304-463E-9A39-D69DD12F1EB1.jpeg

The Bad Monkey by Southern Grind (Zac Brown's cutlery enterprise) can open as fast as most assisted opening knives. Just takes practice. Using the small hook on the top spine located at the rear (just behind the thumb nub) to snag onto the rear corner of your front pocket pops this spud open lickety-split. Yes it takes practice. But if you live in a restrictive environment......
22714E0F-BF7E-4947-B5B4-D96B5BA9DFC4.jpeg
3D214F25-714F-4DAF-8702-DD10A927FA21.png

The only one I've had come open in a pocket was the cheap Rizzuto Stiletto

Rizz were cheap tourist knives usually brought back from Mexico. The got thrown into trees, sharpened on bench grinders, and flicked until they broke. The sears were pot metal and wore quickly. It's rare to find an original Rizz now without problems. They've also become very collectible. In part because they were thrown out when they broke. Not that many around now. Even broken ones command a startling price, more so if the scales are red or white, less common than black.

Top Bottom