What's new

What exactly is a DFS or a BBS?

So these terms are thrown around an awful lot, but they seem somewhat subjective. Are there any actual standards that apply, or is it just a matter of your own opinion?

When I shave well, if I rub my face WTG or XTG it feels completely smooth. If I rub ATG with only light pressure it feels smooth, but if I add more pressure I can feel some roughness. What sort of shave is that? Does it qualify as a DFS? (Or even BBS?)

Confused. :huh:

So these terms are thrown around an awful lot, but they seem somewhat subjective. Are there any actual standards that apply, or is it just a matter of your own opinion?

When I shave well, if I rub my face WTG or XTG it feels completely smooth. If I rub ATG with only light pressure it feels smooth, but if I add more pressure I can feel some roughness. What sort of shave is that? Does it qualify as a DFS? (Or even BBS?)

Confused. :huh:
Unfortunately, there are no standards for those definitions. However, for me I consider it a BBS shave if I run my hand ATG and cannot feel any hairs or roughness due to a beard. If you run a cotton ball ATG and cannot catch any hairs, I would consider that BBS as well.

I created DFS just for this reason, BBS (baby butt smooth) is very hard to obtain everyday. So, as long as you are satisfied with your shave, but not having shaved your face to absolute perfection, it was still a Damn Fine Shave.

We also have a wiki with definitions, IIRC.

BBS is when a shave could not possibly be better. Baby's butt smooth.

DFS, or Damn Fine Shave is when it's not quite as smooth as a baby's bottom, but it's still a damn fine shave. :001_cool:

DFS, or Damn Fine Shave is when it's not quite as smooth as a baby's bottom, but it's still a damn fine shave. :001_cool:

Ah, but that's my point exactly -- "not quite" is a relative term and what one person thinks is a DFS, another may think is merely acceptable (or maybe not even that! :tongue_sm). I certainly know that my standard for what constitutes a DFS has risen over the past few months.

I would say it's pretty subjective. In my case, a BBS would equal lots of irritation and blood-letting. If I can get a comfortable, clean-looking shave without butchering my face - that's a DFS to me!

I consider BBS to include being irritation free, but some guys disagree and call it BBS as long as it's smooth in all directions. There's no right or wrong answer.

My uncle has a PhD in mathematics. I emailed the question to him, is there a way to quantitatively value a subjective evaluation by a group. Or if 22,000 people qualify their morning shave as good or bad can you draw any kind of real conclusions for the group.

He sent me back a reference to a paper with the following abstract.

Abstract

A nonfrequentistic model of subjective probability was tested in an empirical, subjective estimation task. The model relies on a characterization of stimulus similarities as distances in a cognitive space. This representation was independently tested using a multidimensional scaling analysis of similarities data. Subjective probability estimates given by the subjects for a related set of stimuli were then shown to be highly consistent with respect to their similarity judgments, and predictable by the model. The experiment also utilized special transformations on the stimuli to test consistency properties of subject probabilities.

I love my uncle but he thinks I am smarter than I really am. All I got from reading the abstract was a headache. Called him on the phone. Asked him " Uncle Johnnie, bal bal bal, baby butt smooth, yada yada yada, Damn Fine Shave. Can you use subjective answers and come up with something that has scientific value". His answer was yes. Tada, the answer is YES.

I now have a headache, have no idea what we were talking about, but did get a chance to say Hi to one of my favorite Uncle's. You guys make me crazy sometimes.

My uncle has a PhD in mathematics. I emailed the question to him, is there a way to quantitatively value a subjective evaluation by a group. Or if 22,000 people qualify their morning shave as good or bad can you draw any kind of real conclusions for the group.

Abstract

A nonfrequentistic model of subjective probability was tested in an empirical, subjective estimation task. The model relies on a characterization of stimulus similarities as distances in a cognitive space. This representation was independently tested using a multidimensional scaling analysis of similarities data. Subjective probability estimates given by the subjects for a related set of stimuli were then shown to be highly consistent with respect to their similarity judgments, and predictable by the model. The experiment also utilized special transformations on the stimuli to test consistency properties of subject probabilities.

I love my uncle but he thinks I am smarter than I really am. All I got from reading the abstract was a headache. Called him on the phone. Asked him " Uncle Johnnie, bal bal bal, baby butt smooth, yada yada yada, Damn Fine Shave. Can you use subjective answers and come up with something that has scientific value". His answer was yes. Tada, the answer is YES.

I now have a headache, have no idea what we were talking about, but did get a chance to say Hi to one of my favorite Uncle's. You guys make me crazy sometimes.

lol

Subjective probability estimates given by the subjects for a related set of stimuli were then shown to be highly consistent with respect to their similarity judgments, and predictable by the model...

I must admit that your post made me laugh. And I loved it. (Can you tell that I'm an engineer?):lol:

And, yeah, it looks like the paper says that there is some level of consistency and meaning for subjective judgments across a large population.

-Dan

Abstract

That's it right THERE ^ Means, the people's subjective assessments were similar and were able to be predicted by a mathematical model (so they are reliable evaluations of experience across a population).

I consider BBS to include being irritation free

+1

Personally, I stopped aiming for a BBS early on and was happy with the rare DFS I got beyond a CCS (close comfortable shave) or even a SAS (socially acceptable shave)! As my technique improved, I found that a 3 pass shave can give me a consistent DFS :thumbup: If the shave-gods are smiling on me, and the stars are in just the right alignment, I can get a BBS from the same 3 passes.

I strive for a DFS most mornings. A good shave is when my 5 o'clock shadow shows up at 5 am.

I do a SAS when I am really in a hurry and have no choice.

A BBS shave if for when I have the time and feel so inclined or when I am planning on some "quality time" with the Mrs. :biggrin1:

Ah, but that's my point exactly -- "not quite" is a relative term and what one person thinks is a DFS, another may think is merely acceptable (or maybe not even that! :tongue_sm). I certainly know that my standard for what constitutes a DFS has risen over the past few months.

Standards :001_huh: relative terms:blink:

Relax and enjoy your shave:thumbup:

BBS-Baby Butt Smooth
DFS-Damn Fine Shave

If you don't think your shave was BBS, then it's not. If you tell us you had a BBS shave, we're not, or I'm not going to rub your face to check.:biggrin1:

Since you seem to be pushing for extreme rigid definitions, just how mooth is a baby's butt?:lol:

Standards :001_huh: relative terms:blink:
Since you seem to be pushing for extreme rigid definitions, just how mooth is a baby's butt?:lol:

I'm not expert, but... I'd think that it depends on the baby? :tongue_sm

It has been very interesting to see what other people think BBS means. I'd say that "you can rub a cotton ball ATG without catching at all" is probably the most measurable response yet, but I have to say "leads to really excessive faceturbation" is not only hilarious, but manages a certain level of descriptiveness and usefulness at the same time.

All in all, gentlemen, thank you for shaving... er, sharing, your thoughts! :thumbup:

DFS leads to excessive faceturbation...

BBS leads to really excessive faceturbation.

Yes indeed. My take on this definition is as follows:

BBS: no roughness regardless of stroke direction.

DFS: no roughness on WTG stroke but some in ATG.

DFS is very pleasantly faceturbateable.

I think I'm getting close to achieving a Baby Butt Smooth shave....assuming the baby in question has had its butt exposed to the elements for the last 50 years, as my face has. :001_rolle

Top Bottom