What's new

What exactly causes a defective brush to shed?

The brush is high end by a high end maker (no names, but it does rhyme with stubby), is well kept, cleaned thoroughly after each use (so no corrosive soap build up) and no mashing (six other brushes by the same manufacturer without any issues confirms this description). The brush sheds anyway, without any hint that the knot as a whole hasn’t been glued in properly (the knot is solid but it just sheds 10-20 or so hairs per shave, well beyond the 60 day or so work in period).

What is the defect that would cause a brush with this description to shed, and how exactly does that defect cause the shedding?

Curious to also hear whether there is no defect and that ultimately the shedding will stop (to be honest, this is my suspicion, but I’ve seen enough “send it backs” to pose the question about the nature of the defect that prompts this advice).

Thanks!

Idk the process to make the epoxy base knots are set in, but i imagine it's some kind of injection molding process.
My thought on shredders is there is some variation, time, pressure, operator, that not enough material flows in to fully saturate and encapsulate all of the hairs.
So, yah, send it back.

I've got an AOS travel brush that sheds like crazy from the day I got it till today. They refunded me and didn't want it back, so it's still in my travel kit. I'm amazed there are any hairs left in the knot! I keep using it to see if it'll ever stop before it disappears!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Assuming “rhymes with stubby” is the model, not the manufacturer, this British Isle of Man company will make it right.

Yours is defective. That’s too many shedders at 60 days. These are hand knotted, handmade brushes. Old world craftsmanship can occasionally run afoul of modern assembly line control.

I have 4 of their brushes. None shed. I haven’t yet acquired a chubbier one :c10:, but have heard of a few other instances of shedding where this company replaced without question.

All the best. Please let us know what transpires.

The brush is high end by a high end maker (no names, but it does rhyme with stubby), is well kept, cleaned thoroughly after each use (so no corrosive soap build up) and no mashing (six other brushes by the same manufacturer without any issues confirms this description). The brush sheds anyway, without any hint that the knot as a whole hasn’t been glued in properly (the knot is solid but it just sheds 10-20 or so hairs per shave, well beyond the 60 day or so work in period).

What is the defect that would cause a brush with this description to shed, and how exactly does that defect cause the shedding?

Curious to also hear whether there is no defect and that ultimately the shedding will stop (to be honest, this is my suspicion, but I’ve seen enough “send it backs” to pose the question about the nature of the defect that prompts this advice).

Thanks!
Absolutely a defective brush. Your description in care and maintenance should not have more than one hair per dozen use’s if that. The knot allows hairs to leave than inadequate cement, glue. Two and a half years of rotating Boar, horse, and badger brushes probably a half dozen hairs. For me. Ten too twenty hairs per shave is a defective brush.

I think a defective brush is usually a product of poor manufacturing (either accidental or otherwise) or crafted from poor quality components (same).

It likely begins to fall apart the way anything else would if it were made incorrectly: when the stress of use overpowers its structural integrity.

I think a defective brush is usually a product of poor manufacturing (either accidental or otherwise) or crafted from poor quality components (same).

It likely begins to fall apart the way anything else would if it were made incorrectly: when the stress of use overpowers its structural integrity.

The biggest problem I have with switching to synthetic brushes
is that I think I should be able to remember something
about the problems I had with natural brushes
to offer advice to those who still use them,
but I just can't remember anything. ;)

Top Bottom