What's new

What edge do you shave with now days?

What type of edge do you shave with?

• Water of Ayr, Tam O'Shanter, and the Scotch hone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Those combos are my favorites. I like coticule>hard ark or jnat>hard ark but I'm only doing about 35 laps on the ark. Dont you have a really pretty pink(purplish) translucent and black one? I think it's yours, there's one I've seen that makes me want to buy a true hard though I have absolutly no need for it.
I wish I had one of the pink/purple translucents! Mine are quite standard, the translucent gray with wide stripes of opaque white. Most of Dan’s recent stones seem to be coming from the same big chunks - I can pretty much identify the grade of stone just by looking at the color.

Does anyone know if the pink/purple transluscents are still available from Dan’s or is that chunk of rock already sold off?

In a technical sense, I see edges being a sum of their parts. If I use synths to 3k then move over to a Coticule for mid-to-finish, it's a different edge than, say, synths to 10k then Coti to finish. I don't see either being 'a Coti edge' since their foundations are not Coti. An edge developed on Jnats from start to finish may be different than on started on synths up to, say, 5k, then jumping over. Even then - a lot depends on how the work on the Jnats is handled.

In the course of a very specific conversation, comments like "Oh, I shave on Jnat edges" doesn't tell the whole picture.
In the course of casual convo, comments might be more relaxed.
So, basically, I hone a lot of ways using many different stones, I may use Jnats more often than others, probably - not 100% sure to be honest, but how I get to the Jnat and how I use them is as varied as the paths to the Jnat.

There are probably still guys out there using Coticules, then going to Chromox, and saying they are shaving on Coti edges...I don't call that a Coti edge though.

I guess, at the end of the day - if someone asks what kind of edge I am shaving with, the answer would be...

Sharp and smooth....

I've collected a lot of stones but mostly shave with the following favorites
  • Hard Arkansas
  • Charnley Forest
  • Yellow Lake Slate

Other stones in my collection that I also enjoy include
  • Lynn Idwal
  • High grit JSynths (GOK 20k, SG 30k, G7 0.85u)
  • Thuringian
  • JNat
  • Water of Ayr

The following are collecting dust.
  • Coticules
  • Diamond Paste Balsa

I'm looking forward to trying a vintage La Lune and PDSO one day.

In a technical sense, I see edges being a sum of their parts. If I use synths to 3k then move over to a Coticule for mid-to-finish, it's a different edge than, say, synths to 10k then Coti to finish. I don't see either being 'a Coti edge' since their foundations are not Coti. An edge developed on Jnats from start to finish may be different than on started on synths up to, say, 5k, then jumping over. Even then - a lot depends on how the work on the Jnats is handled.

In the course of a very specific conversation, comments like "Oh, I shave on Jnat edges" doesn't tell the whole picture.
In the course of casual convo, comments might be more relaxed.
So, basically, I hone a lot of ways using many different stones, I may use Jnats more often than others, probably - not 100% sure to be honest, but how I get to the Jnat and how I use them is as varied as the paths to the Jnat.

There are probably still guys out there using Coticules, then going to Chromox, and saying they are shaving on Coti edges...I don't call that a Coti edge though.

I guess, at the end of the day - if someone asks what kind of edge I am shaving with, the answer would be...

Sharp and smooth....
I agree with the general idea of @Gamma. Whatever tools and techniques are used in the progression and finish (including strop) your shave will be determined by the characteristics of your apex in the first 25 µm along the blade at the time of the shave. This is not an opinion but a fact supported by this very high magnification image.

apex.jpeg

Rejecting this physical truth (cutting a hair is a physical phenomenon) and not addressing the apex features that will give you your ultimate shave, rejecting high magnification images that control important apex features on these 25 µm it's just wanting to continue to be ignorant who looks at the finger of the knowing (the different stones, pastes and techniques) which shows the moon (the key characteristics of the apex)

Revealing this is the last thing the honing gurus who explain the magic of the ultimate shave by their church stones/pastes and their exclusive rituals to achieve nirvana want.

Of course it is everyone's responsibility to choose their path: that of the disciple or that of the knower. In other words, choose the blue or red pill.

I agree that using different stones can change how the final edge comes out. I am not trying to make it complicated though. Just looking to see what stone people use as the final step in getting the edge they want. Could be helpful for new people deciding what rabbit hole to go down.

I think using synthetics and finishing on a natural - then calling it a natural edge is fine. I added the hybrid edge for when 1 stone is finished on, but either a paste or different stone is used to add an additional flair to their edge (either it be to add sharpness, tone down an edge, whatever).

Just rubbing some rocks and steel. I don't think the honing gurus care - no one is getting rich from honing. I can see people putting they finish with a stone - while doing a lot of extra work on paste happening. I think most people will call that edge a pasted/hybrid edge though. I just don't think it is that big of a deal though.

Ok guys someone educate this old man who has used a straight for about 60yrs. Unless you get multiple razors; why are ya'll having to do more than a refresh with your finisher? Stropping will keep it keen and comfortable for a varying number of shaves. Then your finisher should be sufficient. i've got many of the finishers ya'll get all squishy about and most will give a damn fine shave if you know how to use your hands. Starting back at the beginning or at lower grit still makes no sense to me after reading these forums for years. i'm not trying to be an a-hole just don't get it.

I have bought a score or so of fleabays to give away and that's when I start with a good bevel and work up. I'm honestly curious; Greg

Ok guys someone educate this old man who has used a straight for about 60yrs. Unless you get multiple razors; why are ya'll having to do more than a refresh with your finisher? Stropping will keep it keen and comfortable for a varying number of shaves. Then your finisher should be sufficient. i've got many of the finishers ya'll get all squishy about and most will give a damn fine shave if you know how to use your hands. Starting back at the beginning or at lower grit still makes no sense to me after reading these forums for years. i'm not trying to be an a-hole just don't get it.

I have bought a score or so of fleabays to give away and that's when I start with a good bevel and work up. I'm honestly curious; Greg
I have been wondering the same thing.

After restoring a blade, I normally use 1k, 4k, 8k and 12k synthetics to get to a state that I understand reasonably well. And then I tend to try different naturals, sometimes going back to 8k and even 4k depending on the scratch patterns left by the naturals.

Lately, I have been getting into modern La Grise and La Veinette, Dan’s translucent and Nakayama.

Long story short i shave with my best stones. My progression is a combination of, not in order, shaptons, washita, soft and hard ark. Finish on hard black ark.
But that is because i do not yet have a coti or jnat. So these are the best i have. I have bridges to cross

Top Bottom