What's new

What dumb thing have you done while shaving?

Until now I've not really had anything to add to this thread. That is (deep sigh) until this morning... When I accidentally used a bottle of contact lens solution in place of distilled water for building my lather.

That's right, 100% Opti-Free contact lens solution, 0% distilled water:
Opti Free.jpg

"But how did it shave?!" I hear you asking. Not well my friends, not well at all.

Two weeks ago, I got up 1/2 hour late Sunday. My church band practices, 1 hour before church, a new song almost every week. It's a relaxed practice, we've been together for years...maybe even jam some Allman Bros., or a Toto song, before anyone gets there...and I was late...grabbed my trusky Fendrihan Mk2, and some Proraso red, and did almost a whole pass.....forgot about the blade (so..no blade)...Oh well, no shave for me that day. We don't go there to look prim, and proper, so no one would care anyway...It was a good Sunday despite a somewhat rushed start.

Last edited:
If you consider "experimenting" dumb, then I have tried multiple prep combos with mostly painful results. Including no lubrication at all, while showering (no cream), using olive oil, using butter, etc.

I've successfully shaved with olive oil a couple of times, for a no-lather shave Cremo is 100 times better :)

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'm sure there's plenty of guys on here who have dropped something and broken it. For me I had this very nice homemade pre-shave oil that was gifted to me by fellow wet shaving enthusiast. Very thoughtful artisan quality oil in a little blue glass 2 ounce spray bottle. Which of course one day I dropped on the tile floor and promptly broke. I wanted to cry. It did make the shave den smell very nice however.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Love this thread! There's more to choose from than I wish to admit.

Several years back, fully dressed and in a rush to get to work, a final glance in the mirror revealed I forgot to shave. To save time, I dry shaved with reckless abandon, swirling my Gillette Slim around my face. I bled like a stuck pig, ruining a new Lands' End white oxford dress shirt. Angrily walked into work late, forgetting the pieces of bloody toilet paper pasted to my razor-burned face. Discovered the medical dressings an hour or so later. Good times.

Lessons learned: Go to bed on time. Never dry shave. Never shave in the shirt intended for that workday. Never dry shave. Alum and a cotton washcloth trumps toilet paper every time. Never dry shave. When cranky, don't expect coworkers to mention the bloody toilet paper stuck to your face. Never dry shave.

Early on, I had an encounter with the squared corner of an 8/8 Henckels Friodur straight, the prettiest sharpest blade in my arsenal at the time. Shaving down my face, right hand, left sideburn, swiftly caught that small bit of flesh that connects the lobe from face. A deep severing slice, so clean and sharp I didn’t feel it right away (a hot towel having been applied previously). I didn’t realize it until I swept the fog from the mirror and saw in horror that the blood was gushing down my face and spreading across my t-shirt covering my shoulder in crimson glory. After yelping, I tried to put pressure on it, but slicing your lobe makes putting pressure on it most difficult. With squeezing, a stiptic and tape, I stopped the bleeding. Felt like an idiot. Ear started healing, light scar at the crux of lobe and face.

Two shaves later, did the same damn thing. Again.

Live and learn. Well, sometimes, apparently.

I'm impressed at how there are people on this thread who shave with a straight while wearing a shirt. I guess not every straight razor shaver considers the perfect lather to be "just solid enough to not fall off your face, except oops that bit wasn't."

I have not yet completed a shave with an unadorned torso. Heck, washing the lather off my face afterwards would be enough to mess up a shirt I intended to go to work in.

I don't want to be off-topic, so I will mention that when you are used to shaving with normal kamisoris, and one day you take out a 50% larger kamisori, you need to be aware of that when you have the razor anywhere near the faucet. Happened to me two days ago or thereabouts. It's not a blood story, but one second of carelessness cost me hours of future honing on a razor that deserved better of me.

Like so many of these stories, today I was in a rush, the alarm clock didn’t go off so I overslept 30 minutes and I was very pressed for time. When I went to remove the DE blade from my razor after shaving for rinsing, somehow my thumb ended up on the blade edge instead of the blade tab and I got a minor little slice. It wasn’t terribly deep, my styptic pen stopped the bleeding, but it is in a spot that is in contact with anything that I grab.

Wiped down the head of my Razorock Lupo while was in a semi-hurry shaving, to clean the soap residue off as I shaved to reduce any kind of drag and got too far down and slid my finger around the edge of the blade, yeeooowwwwccchhhh!!! hahaha

Accidentally had two blades in my DE , started shaving , then wondered why the razor was not cutting well.
That's how I started shaving with two blades in the Shake Sharp, couldn't understand why the shave was so much better...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Eben Stone

Staff member
Being confused about which blade I'm using.

So for today's shave I thought I was using a Bic chrome platinum #5 with my Ikon Tek but turns out I was actually using a Feather #2. I'm used to applying a little pressure with the Tek without any problems. Not exactly something that seems possible with the Feather blade.

Got my 1st DE cut. Not exactly sure what happened. I think I was holding the handle too loosely. It felt like the razor bounced on my face.

Top Bottom