What's new

What Drives Interest In Fatboy Years?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hey all, just a quick question regarding date codes on Fatboys. I prefer a Slim over a Fatboy and I own a darn purty one. I am NOT including a bottom dial in this question.

I do ask if there is anything not arbitrary concerning the preference for a certain date code on a Fatboy?

At this point and time I've had about 8 pass through my hands and I'm staring down another for a song. While I'm not a huge fan I'll certainly snatch one up if it's priced right. I'll turn a small profit or I've even PIFed one. They've all been in good working order, user grade, occasionally cased. I don't understand why I can get $150 for one and $50 for another. Is it timing or just whimsy?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I would guess that this is because there a fewer number of Fatboys than Slims, and also that Fatboys are a little older.
Sure, I get that the Fatboy gets some more love than the Slim and that's fine. But is there any reason that a G2 would sell for significantly more than an E3(examples only)?

Hey all, just a quick question regarding date codes on Fatboys. I prefer a Slim over a Fatboy and I own a darn purty one. I am NOT including a bottom dial in this question.

I do ask if there is anything not arbitrary concerning the preference for a certain date code on a Fatboy?

At this point and time I've had about 8 pass through my hands and I'm staring down another for a song. While I'm not a huge fan I'll certainly snatch one up if it's priced right. I'll turn a small profit or I've even PIFed one. They've all been in good working order, user grade, occasionally cased. I don't understand why I can get $150 for one and $50 for another. Is it timing or just whimsy?
I have always thought it was the name and the look of the Fatboy that makes them more appealing. I have owned a few Slims and thought they delivered the same results as a Fatboy. My preference is a Fatboy and for me it is the look of them.

I have always thought it was the name and the look of the Fatboy that makes them more appealing. I have owned a few Slims and thought they delivered the same results as a Fatboy. My preference is a Fatboy and for me it is the look of them.
I agree, the name Fatboy, and how it looks probably has a lot to do with it's popularity. Not being one that cares much for an adjustable, I rarely use mine. But I do enjoy looking at it. :lemo:
Besides, I have a grandson that would like to get it in pristine condition.:001_rolle

In my experience, people generally only prefer a certain date code for personal reasons, such as their own or a family member's birthdate.

As far as the variance in pricing goes, some of it depends on the condition of the razor and its appearance, certainly, or even how it is presented in the listing. Aside from that, pricing of any kind of goods on an auction site is fairly random; if you happen to be selling a Fatboy at a time when two people really want it (maybe two guys born in the same year and same quarter as the razor in question), the price can be bid way up.

I once traded a Fatboy for a Montblanc 146 fountain pen in excellent condition. The person I traded with knew the pen was worth a lot more money than the razor, but preferred to just make the trade over the hassle of selling the pen, purchasing a razor, and pocketing the difference. I sold the pen for, if I recall correctly, $235 (I had purchased the Fatboy at an antique store for $15).

As for Fatboy versus Slim, which I know is not the topic of this thread, I greatly prefer the Fatboy, and it's not just for looks, although it is probably about 60% for looks.

A thread with no pictures is lacking, allow me - this is my E2.

I had a case that the plastic cover was cracked and glazed over. So I tossed it and it now makes the ideal spot in the shave den and looks better just as it is.

IMG_7510.jpeg

I have both a Slim and a Fatboy. The Fatboy is my birth year razor (1959) that I had refurbished at Razor Emporium.

Top Bottom