What's new

What dress watch shall I buy?

I prefer in-house movements, but the majority of my watches use some type of ETA engine. IMHO, once you cross the 7K mark...the watch should have an in-house movt. Most high end brands (PP, JLC, IWC) are using in-house movements. The entry/mid level watches (Breitling, Sinn, etc) are using modified ETA engines. Of course, many WIS consider Rolex and Omega entry level brands :wink:

I agree, if your paying 7k, you expect a little more. Not sure if I think Rolex is entry (I know those who do), but I do think they are over hyped (I know people who don't). :biggrin:

I agree, if your paying 7k, you expect a little more. Not sure if I think Rolex is entry (I know those who do), but I do think they are over hyped (I know people who don't). :biggrin:

I'm blessed enough to own a couple of Rolex watches. As far as luxury brands, I do feel Rolex is one of the entry level (luxury) brands. However, I do not feel they are overhyped. When you factor in AD networks, service after the sale, resale values, etc...I don't see how they could be considered overhyped.

I'm blessed enough to own a couple of Rolex watches. As far as luxury brands, I do feel Rolex is one of the entry level (luxury) brands. However, I do not feel they are overhyped. When you factor in AD networks, service after the sale, resale values, etc...I don't see how they could be considered overhyped.

:cool:

As to the In-house/..er.."out-house" debate, I think this is a perenniel and for good reason. I have no problem with a Chronometre-grade 2842-2 and I love the Unitas....is it a 6 something?.....the one with the centre-dial for the second hand that's usually at the No. 9 or 6 position? Love that. But, as has been said, its all about whether the watch-company itself is making statements which are patently not true. This is why I rate a lot of the German companies so much. Stowa, Sinn and Muhle Glasschutte give just as much ( and probably more) watch for far less than Rolex money and are clear and upfront about what they use and why they use it. Also, IMHO the German aesthetic seems to me to be utterly legible, sensible and classy. There are a couple of nice Rolex models out there, but for less than half the price you can get the afore-pictured MO, Antea or Fleiger by Stowa and if you're looking for a big, impressive diving watch, how can you beat an Erasmus? I would argue these are just as well-made and will last/perform just as well as your "High-end High-St" brands.
If you're going for cheaper IWC (MArk XVI, Engineur etc), then I don't think there's any doubt that they are worth the money, but when you get to A.P, Piaget and beyond, then I feel (well first of all, jealous! but also that) you're actually making an aesthetic/financial statement- its no longer about engineering that's fit-for-purpose. To me the 3 or 4 "standard" movements out there have proven more than up to a lifetime's service and should be appreciated as such. I mean really, how much money should you be paying to tell the time? You could spend $20,000,000,000 developing a tiny super-mouse which runs on a wheel inside your carbon-nano-tube case, but so what?

Funny how in house means so much. ETA, Unitas and Valois are all great "swiss" movements. Most of the higher end brands use them as a base and modify they to their specifications anyway.
Not let this be a deciding factor unless you feel somehow this will add to your love of the watch.

Even the in house Omega was designed in collaboration with ETA, since they are all part of the Swatch Group. I personally have a preference for Omega, over other entry level luxury brands, in part due to their exclusive co-axial technology. Has reduced the amount of maintenance the watch needs and has improved accuracy. I mention the 8500/8501 only because they were designed around the co-axial escapement, rather than being reworked ETA's.

Everybody has different priorities. A good watch, for me is something that I will have and enjoy for life. Shaving creams, blades, wines, foods and even cars are consumables, meaning they have limited life spans and then need to be replaced. So, in my little world, a nice watch probably rates highest among luxury items.

Everybody has different priorities. A good watch, for me is something that I will have and enjoy for life. Shaving creams, blades, wines, foods and even cars are consumables, meaning they have limited life spans and then need to be replaced. So, in my little world, a nice watch probably rates highest among luxury items.

Straight razors? Brushes? Strops? DE razors?

Your absolutely correct. There are no limits to what someone will pay. It all comes down to what someone is willing to afford for the enjoyment. :wink2:

Straight razors? Brushes? Strops? DE razors?

Your absolutely correct. There are no limits to what someone will pay. It all comes down to what someone is willing to afford for the enjoyment. :wink2:

I agree and I don't think its immoral or anything to get a Grande Complication or Tourbuillon model, as long as you are aware of what you're buying and clear about why you're buying it. While you do need to spend a fair amount of money to get something that will reasonably last a lifetime of superb functionality, the law of diminishing returns, puts the effective "line of excess", to me at least waaay below what a lot of very well known manufacturers would have us believe. I'm sure I'm about the millionth person to have made this point on a watch-discussion thread, but I think it does need saying. :001_smile

Top Bottom