What's new

What does this bad technique mean? Buffing

Afternoon Gentlemen and Ladies,
I sort of “came to” at the mirror the other day and realized I was “buffing” my face each pass. What I mean is as I made each stroke if I heard too much feedback I would go back over that area again. Sometimes a couple times. This was in the middle of the pass. Fortunately my lather and face let me get away with it but I’m wondering what this behavior means. Did I develop this bad habit because I’m using blades too long? Is my angle off and inefficient? Do I need a more efficient razor or blade? I’m trying Gillette GSB’s at the moment. Put a new one in my Merkur 34C today and did three passes for a DFS. Did a WTG, XTG and a N-S pass that is a combo WTG and XTG pass for my beard. Very comfy but definitely not BBS. Worked hard not to buff and didn’t but I’m suspicious this habit developed for a reason and I’m wondering what it might be telling me.

—Badlander13

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Some people swear that "buffing" is an excellent technique that gives them the very best results, but you'd never catch me scrubbing my face with a razor.

It is quite possible that your angle is off a little. Maybe try altering your angle very slightly in the areas where you find yourself wanting to scrub it.

There are areas on my face, where I do need to go over several times, and rather than change the razor angle, I need to change the direction of travel angle between each stroke. I tend to do this towards the end of the shave, and between each stroke I smear a little lather across with my free hand, so I'm keeping the skin lubricated.

Ultimately, with time and experimentation, you'll develop your own techniques and identify the sequences that give you the best results. All the advice I've given on this forum, is based on things that I've discovered for myself, but while I've shaved my face many thousand times, never once have I shaved yours.

I don't consider blade buffing to be bad technique, as long as you have a quality soap and lather, and the residual slickness supports it. In fact, Mantic59 has a YouTube video called Advanced Shaving Techniques which shows how to do it.

I use a scything motion combined with a buffing pass and it works great for me. It has nothing to do with scrubbing the face.

Both are advanced techniques, transfered to shaving from other uses, and modified from and developed beyond the antiquated methods shown in ancient manuals.

Each can be found as an example of how cutting tools work most efficiently and serve to reduce material and blade damage, and are applied world wide in multiple material handling industries...it is widely used in various forms of debris sweeping, turf mowing, planing lumber, jig saws, reciprocating saws, circular saws, band saws, crop harvesting, tree trimming, brush clearing, polishing/buffing, cutting casts, grinding, and more.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Afternoon Gentlemen and Ladies,
I sort of “came to” at the mirror the other day and realized I was “buffing” my face each pass. What I mean is as I made each stroke if I heard too much feedback I would go back over that area again. Sometimes a couple times. This was in the middle of the pass. Fortunately my lather and face let me get away with it but I’m wondering what this behavior means. Did I develop this bad habit because I’m using blades too long? Is my angle off and inefficient? Do I need a more efficient razor or blade? I’m trying Gillette GSB’s at the moment. Put a new one in my Merkur 34C today and did three passes for a DFS. Did a WTG, XTG and a N-S pass that is a combo WTG and XTG pass for my beard. Very comfy but definitely not BBS. Worked hard not to buff and didn’t but I’m suspicious this habit developed for a reason and I’m wondering what it might be telling me.

—Badlander13

Theres nothing inherently wrong with buffing. My preferred shave is a single buffing pass ATG at ~48 hours growth done with very efficient razors, a Fatip Grande and a GEM MMOC.

I look at it as the less time the blade is on my skin, the less chance of irritation or worse.

Not necessarily a bad technique unless it’s not working for you. Every shaver has a different approach. If you aren’t using good soap and/or it’s causing irritation then it very well could be. I personally buff my cheeks on the third and final pass. Never my neck. But that’s my skin and what works in my case.

Really up to you. If your buffing technique works, then fine!!

My approach is more ‘beard reduction.’ I prefer to apply a good lather for each af three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) with no buffing. That is what works best for me!! :a14::a14:

Okay so I watched Mantic59’s “Advanced Techniques” video and I certainly wasn’t moving my razor with the same speed he was as he “buffed.” I actually flinched when I saw him start that. Maybe what this means is I need to get to the point that I can comfortably shave ATG on my jaw, chin and neck. The search for technique will continue. Thanks for all the input everybody.

—Badlander13

One of Razor Emporium's videos discusses/shows a proper buffing pass as well. It doesn’t have to be fast. The right amount of lift on the reverse stroke and being able to gently set it back down will be good to work on rather than speed, imo. I think anchoring the razor hand with one or more planted fingers (at least for me when using a straight)by them making contact with the head or face, with which the scythe motion helps in combination with, are beneficial in accomplishing a well executed buffing pass. This may not apply so much with a d/e or s/e.

Okay so I watched Mantic59’s “Advanced Techniques” video and I certainly wasn’t moving my razor with the same speed he was as he “buffed.” I actually flinched when I saw him start that. Maybe what this means is I need to get to the point that I can comfortably shave ATG on my jaw, chin and neck. The search for technique will continue. Thanks for all the input everybody.

—Badlander13

A lot of peoples beards require an ATG pass to get a BBS. Some people cannot do an ATG pass without irritation and/or ingrown hairs. You don't have to buff at high speeds though, experiment and practice. Find out what works for you.

Some areas need blade buffing to clean up e.g the chin area. In general, you don't need to employ blade buffing on the easy to shave areas.

Top Bottom