What's new

What does set in rubber mean?

I realize this may be a dumb question but I’m a newbie. I keep seeing vintage brushes in my hunt that say “set in rubber” on the handle. What does this mean and can you still replace the knot on these? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
proxy.php

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
“set in rubber” means just that the knot is set in the handle in a rubber compound, think old school epoxy.
and yes you can reknot them, drill out the old and glue in the new

It is supposed to be a sign of quality. If the knot is set in rubber, it has some flexibility and is more likely to stay secured in the handle for a long time.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I know nothing about making a brush, setting a knot, etc.

When I read "drill out the old" does that mean take out a drill and literally drill out the knot?
yes it does ,some people try steaming them out but I've never had any luck doing it. I just cut the knot short and carefully drill it out.
check out the Brush Restoration / Tutorial Threads in the sticky at the top of this page.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
yes it does ,some people try steaming them out but I've never had any luck doing it. I just cut the knot short and carefully drill it out.
check out the Brush Restoration / Tutorial Threads in the sticky at the top of this page.

Thank you. :)

Time to do some reading.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I realize this may be a dumb question but I’m a newbie. I keep seeing vintage brushes in my hunt that say “set in rubber” on the handle. What does this mean and can you still replace the knot on these? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
proxy.php
No question is a dumb question. I learned something new today thanks to your question. We are never to old to learn.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I know nothing about making a brush, setting a knot, etc.

When I read "drill out the old" does that mean take out a drill and literally drill out the knot?
If you've never restored a knot I'd highly recommend it. I'm not super handy and I've done it successfully several times. There is nothing like the feeling of taking something old and unusable and restoring it to use...Plus you strike me as the kind of guy who would really enjoy the process.

Top Bottom