What's new

What does "oversized watch" mean?

Doing a little watch shopping online, looking at the nice watches, but the description is "such n such Overside watch"...I've never seen the term in regards to watches. Does it mean, its for a big wrist, or the face of the watch is big?

It's likely referring to watches with large case diameters. It's subjective, but I would consider anything over 44mm to be oversized. Anything under 38mm seems a bit small (or classic size I guess).

What kind of watches are you looking at?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's likely referring to watches with large case diameters. It's subjective, but I would consider anything over 44mm to be oversized. Anything under 38mm seems a bit small (or classic size I guess).

That"s my thinking, too. Some watches today are ridiculously huge, but that seems to be the style.

Nothing too expensive, Kenneth Cole New York watches.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oversized ...

proxy.php

Regular sized ...

proxy.php

Agreed. 44mm tops out the "larger" watches, then you get into oversized, AFAIC.

How big's your wrist?

Most popular watches today are a lot bigger than they were in the past. 36-38mm watches used to be the norm for men, but you often see watches in the 46mm+ range. Generally, you'd like to keep a watch in proportion to your wrist size, so the larger your wrists, the larger watch you can pull off without looking ridiculous.

Personally, I think those really big watches make you look like you're trying too hard. I like watches in the 40-42mm range and I'd consider my wrists to be "average" sized. I had a 46mm watch and it looked silly, while my vintage Bulova measures 36mm and looks really tiny.

If you're picking up a watch for every day use, I'd recommend doing a bit of reading on some of the classic styles for inspiration. A Rolex Submariner looks just as good today as they did 50 years ago (kind of like Stratocasters and Les Pauls for guitars). That way you won't end up with something that looks outdated.

Most popular watches today are a lot bigger than they were in the past. 36-38mm watches used to be the norm for men, but you often see watches in the 46mm+ range. Generally, you'd like to keep a watch in proportion to your wrist size, so the larger your wrists, the larger watch you can pull off without looking ridiculous.

Personally, I think those really big watches make you look like you're trying too hard. I like watches in the 40-42mm range and I'd consider my wrists to be "average" sized. I had a 46mm watch and it looked silly, while my vintage Bulova measures 36mm and looks really tiny.

If you're picking up a watch for every day use, I'd recommend doing a bit of reading on some of the classic styles for inspiration. A Rolex Submariner looks just as good today as they did 50 years ago (kind of like Stratocasters and Les Pauls for guitars). That way you won't end up with something that looks outdated.

Thanks for the information.

I don't know that there is an official designation. But as a fella with a smaller wrist, for me it means "look elsewhere...".

I would recommend buying a vintage classic watch, preferably Swiss and mechanical. It will both be cheaper and look better on you than the larger modern ones. Plus, it's eco-friendly to use old stuff rather than to buy new.

44-48 seems large but not extreme

:thumbdown 44 is already huge enough to be edging into 'extreme' in my books.

you also have to keep in mind that the difference in the face of the watch between 44 and 46 is a lot bigger than the difference between 38 and 40 due to that whole pi * r[SUP]2[/SUP] thing.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
:thumbdown 44 is already huge enough to be edging into 'extreme' in my books.

you also have to keep in mind that the difference in the face of the watch between 44 and 46 is a lot bigger than the difference between 38 and 40 due to that whole pi * r[SUP]2[/SUP] thing.
Pie are round :biggrin:

Watch size seems to be relative to period and person but in looking I found this chart. My wrist circum is 7.5 inches and a wrist "face" of ~2.5 inches conservatively. The watch I'm wearing is 44x46mm. So. ~45mm watch on 65mm width area doesn't seem so excessively large to me. But I just may be used to larger watch faces now.

proxy.php

I'm 6' 3" with large wrists and still am willing to wear any men's watch over about 32mm. Love 35mm to 38mm watches such as '50s vintage Omega Constellations at 35mm or this 34mm gold Longines from 1954 (above). Anything larger in diameter than the 42mm Omega Speedmaster Pro is just too big to be appealing. Don't like the look; not on me nor on anyone else. Still, others may wear what they please.

A dress watch 42mm or larger is very large IMO due to the thin bezel allowing for a large dial. A diver, GMT, etc that includes a bezel or chapter ring needs to 40mm or larger to keep the dial in proportion. This is where a larger watch makes functional sense. But even then a watch case that is too wide or too thick will be difficult to wear everyday.

It seems there is a sweet spot about 2/3-3/4 the width of your wrist at the point you wear your watch. Smaller and it appears petite. larger and it seems clownish. I like a larger watch for my wrist at 42mm. You really owe it to yourself to try some different diameter watches. Take notes and try them again until you are satisfied you are in the ballpark. Then buy a watch of that size and wear it for a month or so.

I have about 6.5 inch wrist and 40mm watches are already looking very big on my wrist. For me an oversized watch would mean anything bigger than 42mm.

Top Bottom