What's new

what does opus 1870 smell like?

Interesting - this was the first Penhaligon's cologne I didn't care for. I thought it had a weird, "department store" note to it.

It smells like cedar wood chips. There are some fringe notes to it, but to me it smells like an old cedar chest my family used to keep throw blankets in. When I first spritz it also reminds me of hampster bedding though. :)

zaphf said:
It smells like cedar wood chips. There are some fringe notes to it, but to me it smells like an old cedar chest my family used to keep throw blankets in. When I first spritz it also reminds me of hampster bedding though. :)
I hate to say it, but there goes my bottle's contents. Down the ol' flusher..:lol:

zaphf said:

Too much info...unless you have the most luxurious hampster bedding known in the rodent kingdom.

KUJO said:
Too much info...unless you have the most luxurious hampster bedding known in the rodent kingdom.

Spritz some on and take a walk to a pet store and shove your shnozz near a bag of bedding :) Rodent bedding is pretty much 100% shaved cedar and the scent of it is strong. Smells pretty much alike, least to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like Opus 1870 quite a bit.

zaphf said:
Spritz some on and take a walk to a pet store and shove your shnozz near a bag of bedding :) Rodent bedding is pretty much 100% shaved cedar and the scent of it is strong. Smells pretty much alike, least to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like Opus 1870 quite a bit.

sometimes "in a good way" just doesn't quite cut it :lol:

obsessis said:
so it smells like hampsters? that's a lot diff. than pepper and cloves.
Depends on how you prepare your hamsters.

I like mine with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Cliff

Opus 1870 smells like never-ending sex with a dozen women of your choice on a nice fluffy cloud in heaven. It's my favorite scent.

Ben said:
Opus 1870 smells like never-ending sex with a dozen women of your choice on a nice fluffy cloud in heaven. It's my favorite scent.

Hmmmm..... never ending sex with a dozen women? Somehow.... I don't think I'd want to smell like that :eek:

I'm wearing Opus 1870 today. The initial application is a bit raw (for me), but the dry down is very nice -- one of my faves. From Penhaligon's web site:

Head Notes
Bourbon black pepper, Yuzu fruit, Coriander

Heart Notes
English Clove Rose, Cinnamon, Incense

Base Notes
Cedarwood, Australian Sandalwood, Ciara wood, Musk

Created in 2005. A celebration of Penhaligon’s rich and distinctive heritage. A superbly constructed and complex elegant woody chypre.

Opening with a luxurious accord of sweet citrus and fiery black pepper, it is instantly addictive, reaches out and draws you in. The heart is lit by the delicacy of English Clove Rose and the evocative temple ambience of incense. The base notes are glorious, smoky waves of aromatic cedarwood and sandalwood.

Opus 1870 is earthly warmth and cashmere comfort, the log fire of our fragrances, something you want to be next to, warmed by, strangely drawn to and captured by.

I'm wearing Opus 1870 today. The initial application is a bit raw (for me), but the dry down is very nice -- one of my faves. From Penhaligon's web site:

Head Notes
Bourbon black pepper, Yuzu fruit, Coriander

Heart Notes
English Clove Rose, Cinnamon, Incense

Base Notes
Cedarwood, Australian Sandalwood, Ciara wood, Musk

Created in 2005. A celebration of Penhaligon’s rich and distinctive heritage. A superbly constructed and complex elegant woody chypre.

Opening with a luxurious accord of sweet citrus and fiery black pepper, it is instantly addictive, reaches out and draws you in. The heart is lit by the delicacy of English Clove Rose and the evocative temple ambience of incense. The base notes are glorious, smoky waves of aromatic cedarwood and sandalwood.

Opus 1870 is earthly warmth and cashmere comfort, the log fire of our fragrances, something you want to be next to, warmed by, strangely drawn to and captured by.

Interesting. I get cedar, plain and simple with a touch of sandalwood. Still, I like it a lot.

Top Bottom