What's new

what does opus 1870 smell like?

I wasn't impressed with Opus 1870. It smells half-decent with a more modern type of smell. However, it has very poor longevity on my skin. I can barely smell it at all after 2 hours. I prefer Dunhill Edition for a similar type of fragrance.

The smell starts off being a blast of black pepper and then quickly becomes woody (I wouldn't say it's as sharp and acidic as the cedar chips you find in hamster bedding, it's more of an aged, dry cedar akin to the smell of a cedar chest). There's also an element of sweetness in there that smells floral, like a rose, but it is very minor as this is a very, very cedar heavy fragrance.

And the pepper (on my skin at least) remains there for the entire time, so it adds a spicy note. The only way I can describe it is that it is almost like incense, because there's the wood, and there's the floral bit, and for some reason the pepper adds a "smoky" bit.

I get excellent longevity when I wear it, and I've noticed by the end of the day, that strong pepperyness wanes a bit and it becomes more soft and floral. But the cedar smell always remains.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It smells like this: ("sprays")

... smells pretty nifty, eh?

:001_huh:

:lol:

(Puts bottle of 1870 back on shelf) Well, if you are still wondering, try going to your local store where decent colognes can be tested. No, they don't have Penhaligon's. Bummer ... but ... they do have Burberry London. Smell that. Pretty nifty, right? Not a world-beater, but still pretty nifty. Now go to your local L'Occitane store, and take a sniff of Eau des Baux. Even niftier, right? well, now imagine that I can send you to a third store where you will smell a third cologne just like those two, but so much better ...

Now you know what 1870 smells like. :biggrin:

I agree with most of what has been said...Smells peppery/musky when first applied, with a hint of cedar. The peppery scent soon diminishes while the deep musky cedar crescendos. On drydown, the cedar softens and a hint of sweetness comes through. Lovely scent. Very masculine. I wear it in the evenings.

Make sure you like the smell of cedar before purchasing!

Oh, and hamsters wish they could smell like this stuff. (Or maybe it's me that wishes that...):001_unsur

Lovely stuff. Peppery and woody at the same time for me. Doesn't quite smell like Cedar to me. (And I have a bottle of Cedar EO at home so I might know a bit what I'm talking to as well. Offcourse that might be dependant on my skin as well.

The smell starts off being a blast of black pepper and then quickly becomes woody (I wouldn't say it's as sharp and acidic as the cedar chips you find in hamster bedding, it's more of an aged, dry cedar akin to the smell of a cedar chest). There's also an element of sweetness in there that smells floral, like a rose, but it is very minor as this is a very, very cedar heavy fragrance.

And the pepper (on my skin at least) remains there for the entire time, so it adds a spicy note. The only way I can describe it is that it is almost like incense, because there's the wood, and there's the floral bit, and for some reason the pepper adds a "smoky" bit.

I get excellent longevity when I wear it, and I've noticed by the end of the day, that strong pepperyness wanes a bit and it becomes more soft and floral. But the cedar smell always remains.

I absolutely could not have said this better! Also in my top 5 and I'm wearing it now.

Top Bottom