What's new

What does Memorial Day Mean to You?

A good quote I always think of during memorial day:

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." -John F. Kennedy

We don't have Memorial Day up north here, but thought I'd chip in on Remembrance Day. For me I think of my Grandfather, he served for five years in Europe during WWII. I spare a moment to remember all those who have risked and lost their lives trying to make the world a better place.

Very well thought out and heartfelt responses gentlemen. Thank you all for sharing.

A good quote I always think of during memorial day:

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." -John F. Kennedy

I hope you don't mind; I'm going to borrow this quote. This seems like a great tie for a change.

To me it's a day to remember the brave men and women who give so much and the families and loved ones left behind.
It's a day to remember the true cost of freedom and honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect it.

On Memorial Day, I think of my grandfather, he served during WW1 and among other things, he taught aerial photography to the Canadian Air Force. Two of my uncles served in WWII, one came back from Italy with shrapnel wounds in both legs.
My Papa was a Marine in Korea, my brother who went into the Marines as a boot, and retired as a Major. My nephew, a Marine radio operator in Kuwait, and my niece, a Marine Sgt that recently returned form Iraq. God bless them all, and all our other heroes too.

As growing up with a father who was in the army for eight years and quite the history buff, I was given the gift of knowing what our men and women sacrificed. Not only in the military itself, but those who stayed at home and what the average person was doing to pursue our liberty and freedom. Even down to the munitions workers that claimed thousands of workers with explosions...or the kids collecting the peach pits for the making of gas masks...don;t forget the parents of those who have fallen...

Like the song says...."all gave some, some gave all."

IMHO Memorial Day is only one time to honor those that have fallen in defense of county and freedom. My family has served and lost members in most wars of the 20th century. Before that, I am not sure. There is such an abiding gratitude that it cannot be easily expressed, and for all those that have fallen and those that survive the fallen- thank you for all you have done.

One word... FREEDOM.

Without the people serving, we wouldn't be a country now and or speaking a different language.

Also, there are many people around here that I feel are idiots for the beliefs that they have. However, in our country because of those that have served we have the freedom to believe what we each believe.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
proxy.php

+1

it means remembering our brothers and sisters that have given all for our country.

I actually saw something very similar to your picture at an Independence Day parade in California. The best part was after the old man said, "I knew I shouldn't have moved to California." :lol:

Top Bottom