What's new

What does make irritation happen ?

It is obvious than applying too much pressure on the skin will inevitably cause irritation but beyond that ? What is blade related ? Coating allergy ?

A dud blade that doesn't have a good edge. A blade that is too sharp for an individual's skin type. It depends on the individual.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Cartridge razor with two many blades will create irritation. They can cause ingrown hairs and razor bumps because they pull whiskers out of it's socket and then whiskers pull back in that can cause issues. Single blade stops ingrown hairs more effectively.

Cartridge razor with two many blades will create irritation. They can cause ingrown hairs and razor bumps because they pull whiskers out of it's socket and then whiskers pull back in that can cause issues. Single blade stops ingrown hairs more effectively.

Yeah, but I though more specifically about DE blades. I often red ones saying, this or that blade caused me irritation, this one is not for me. I don't understand why it can be.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

tem

Ron R said:
Yeah, but I though more specifically about DE blades. I often red ones saying, this or that blade caused me irritation, this one is not for me. I don't understand why it can be.

Skin irritation can be caused from over shaving a area repeatedly or brush irritation from a stiff brush and over lathering a area. Irritation can also come from not skin stretching enough or just poor razor technique like using a steep angle of approach and scrapping the skin to much.
Gem procedure (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

It is obvious than applying too much pressure on the skin will inevitably cause irritation but beyond that ? What is blade related ? Coating allergy ?

Generally, it's caused by too steep an angle and too much pressure. It can also be caused by going over one area too many times. It's never caused by a dull blade unless combined with the two preceding errors.

Possibly. I can't shave with Perma-Sharps. Not sure why. Don't care. Don't use them anymore.

Excessive buffing and passes for me. And Ive recently just realized going ATG on my cheeks. Once I stopped the redness has nearly disappeared.

Dull or rough blade, poor prep, wrong angle, too much pressure, rushing, bad technique in general, and going over the same spot too many times, to name a few.

Ok so that's rarely the blade to blame ! Learning to do things correctly is the key. Good :)
Thanks

I have one hard and fast rule for shaving... don't shave over an area without lather.

There are so many variables when one is starting out that it is often recommended that one sticks with the same set-up for a month or so to see how technique can improve and with that, results as well. There may well be 7 types of blades, a dozen brushes, 4 razors, and 352 soaps in the cabinet (and it is a struggle to leave them there, I know) but technique is paramount and by limiting the variables, one can judge progress much more easily.

I have one hard and fast rule for shaving... don't shave over an area without lather.

There are so many variables when one is starting out that it is often recommended that one sticks with the same set-up for a month or so to see how technique can improve and with that.

Good advices. I promise to stay on 1 razor and 1 soap. Blades, I'm too curious...
I started with hand soaping my face with some "savon de Marseilles" hm... I changed this variable for the better! Will have to try that again latter, for fun.

I'm on my sixth day on a nacet blade, being a headshaver that's not too bad for a start !
Got to say, it's the first time I'm really satisfied with the sharpness of a blade ending a week. Don't know if I can put that more on technique or on blade quality.

Ok so that's rarely the blade to blame ! Learning to do things correctly is the key. Good :)
Thanks
Well, if the blade is not sufficiently sharp, there is a tendency for the person to apply extra pressure to compensate. This leads to scraping the surface of the skin instead of just cutting the hair. Or the person may go over the same area again and again to get everything cut, leading to irritation.

Top Bottom