What's new

What does “Like” mean to you?

For me it might be:

”I want you to know I saw your post” (on a quiet thread, or among forum buddies)

”Thanks for posting the photo” (I truly like photos)

”I agree” (takes less space and time than ‘+1’)

”I respectfully disagree, but thanks for expressing your incorrect view clearly or pleasantly or humorously” (ya dummy)

”I lust for your razor. Give it to me!” (but I’m too restrained to post ‘Love’)

For me, it simply means I liked their post,whether I agree or not. I don't feel like I need to agree with things here, as most topics are subjective. I also rarely think a viewpoint is flat out wrong, for the same reason. Good question to ask. I will be interested in seeing answers from others.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was against the "like" button from the start and I still am. I don't like anything about it. I don't like it when someone "likes" my post because then I get a notice on my computer that someone mentioned me or something and it's all really just a click to his mouse or such.
If you can't bother to say even just a few words then why bother to even be here on the forum. A forum is a place where people exchange ideas, not just check marks.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I was against the "like" button from the start and I still am. I don't like anything about it. I don't like it when someone "likes" my post because then I get a notice on my computer that someone mentioned me or something and it's all really just a click to his mouse or such.
If you can't bother to say even just a few words then why bother to even be here on the forum. A forum is a place where people exchange ideas, not just check marks.

You can turn the notifications off for reactions.

Go into preferences and un-tick anything with reacts to.
Capture.JPG

Don't be surprised if this gets more likes than any other post. :302:
(I expect most to resist the urge to hit like though)

I have a very strong dislike for Facebook (stronger even than my dislike for Twitter), so when "like" buttons started spreading to other platforms - including forums - I had a "well, there goes the neighborhood" reaction. Over time I have reluctantly come to accept it, interpreting it as a generic positive reaction. I'll sometimes "like" posts which don't reflect my opinion but which do have merit and make a useful contribution to a thread.

I have a lot of sympathy for people who say that the introduction of "like" is often accompanied by a reduction in the quality and quantity of contributions to threads, but I think the real driver behind all of this the switch away from big screens with real keyboards to smartphones with limited screen space and lowest-common-denominator interfaces.

Top Bottom