What's new

What does in etching (or stamping)?

You see it on the tang maker's mark a lot. Why can I hit that with 100 passes of 180 grit with minimal impact, yet the stamping is often obliterated. By the much smoother, softer scales that are lightly touching it??? Seems like it would take about 1.5 eons for that to happen!

Here's a blade (under LED and fluorescent lighting)that looks to me to be remarkably unhoned. Like, there is no visible bevel and the wear on the spine is not even polished. Yet, the blade etching? It has left the building! What am I missing here? Am I completely misreading the level of honing? Hell, why should honing ever wear the etching in the hollow of the blade? Maybe the blade has been resurfaced, but I think I see some pretty visible grind marks. Help an ignorant brother out!

20201024_224958.jpg

20201024_224734.jpg

Reactions: CCR
I wonder if they were using some type of stropping paste? Would chrome oxide do that to light etching? But the worse part looks like where the shave soap builds up and is wiped off, maybe a chemical reaction to lye or something?

I wonder if they were using some type of stropping paste? Would chrome oxide do that to light etching? But the worse part looks like where the shave soap builds up and is wiped off, maybe a chemical reaction to lye or something?

I never thought of that! A strop would yield a bit and would be more pronounced nearer the bevel. If there were a bevel... Methinks you might be on to something, though. Good call!

Also, it is a VERY light etching. Out of curiosity I just tried a paint fill and there was not a spot that held paint.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Etching on steel is very shallow. Over time, just polishing the steel can reduce the visibility of etching. Stamping after heat treatment is not very effective but can be successful on softer steel. Engraving is much more permanent and can be done after heat treatment. The difficulty with intricate engraving is that, if done by hand, it takes time and requires a high level of skill. Lazar engraving is being used more now but to successfully lazar engrave on a curved surface it is best that the Lazar engraving machine has dynamic auto focus.

You see it on the tang maker's mark a lot. Why can I hit that with 100 passes of 180 grit with minimal impact, yet the stamping is often obliterated. By the much smoother, softer scales that are lightly touching it??? Seems like it would take about 1.5 eons for that to happen!

Here's a blade (under LED and fluorescent lighting)that looks to me to be remarkably unhoned. Like, there is no visible bevel and the wear on the spine is not even polished. Yet, the blade etching? It has left the building! What am I missing here? Am I completely misreading the level of honing? Hell, why should honing ever wear the etching in the hollow of the blade? Maybe the blade has been resurfaced, but I think I see some pretty visible grind marks. Help an ignorant brother out!

View attachment 1173309

View attachment 1173310

The lower photo looks like it has seen an abrasive wheel.
Factory grinding does not look like that.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is some engraving (not etching or stamping) on the curved spine of a straight razor. This was all done by hand. The Japanese characters (Monday) are about 2.5mm (0.1") in height. My Filipino/Chinese engraver is proficient in Latin and Chinese text. He had to do a few practice runs to get his hand in with Japanese engraving.

Engraving 03.JPG
For those of you who know your Japanese, you will notice that it is not perfect, however to the naked eye I am satisfied with the result. The engraving of each SR cost me about USD 7.

Last edited:
Top Bottom