What's new

What does BBS look like under a microscope? (before & after pics)

Although it would be tedious, pictures after each pass would be great to compare. You would be able to see what the reduction of hair looks like.

Somewhat curly brown/blond hair and a curly red beard. I gave up beard mapping a long time ago. These days my preferred shave is progression is down, up, left, and right. My whiskers grow every which way.
Thought there was some curve there, yours are somewhat like my whiskers- a few are straight, many curly and often at odd angles. Its been a while since there was much real color in my beard, I think it would be mostly grey, maybe some white. Having curliness in your beard makes it harder to shave evenly and very close, plus makes one more susceptible to ingrown hairs- what led me to wet shaving years ago.

Your progression is a little different than mine. For a full shave I do the first pass down, the second pass mostly down with a few regular across strokes, and a third pass mostly up, again with a few across strokes to get a few known regular trouble spots. I do stretch as I shave and then clean up where I still feel enough stubble. I always stop if I feel any irritation coming; there's always tomorrow. I think I read somewhere here that @Slash McCoy employs a second down pass to get remaining growth and make the next pass easier and more effective. So, I've adopted that into my routine and it does seem to help, at least at the margin. If I'm wrong, @Slash McCoy please correct me.

Thanks again for the interesting thread. Shave well!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Nick looks like your having some fun with your microscope and still being curious.
These photo's were taken a few years ago when I first got my USB telescope and was curious also about what is the target and after effects of a shave.
One days growth.................................................DFS..............................................................BBS............................
One days growth of beard (2).jpg
DFS whiskers looks like 1.5 hrs later..jpg
DFS.bbs  just after a shave! (2).jpg

One of the fellows was talking about ghost whiskers and they are hard to see but you can feel them because they lay flatter.

Ghost whiskers  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

interesting stuff. I kind of get triggered by photos like these, my dad was a dermatologist and had these slide shows that traumatized me as a little kid (back when a presentation slide show used real slides and not Powerpoint). However, it's interesting to not the skin does get a little damage with any shave. I also really like the name German Blue Israeli Red for the new blade.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thought there was some curve there, yours are somewhat like my whiskers- a few are straight, many curly and often at odd angles. Its been a while since there was much real color in my beard, I think it would be mostly grey, maybe some white. Having curliness in your beard makes it harder to shave evenly and very close, plus makes one more susceptible to ingrown hairs- what led me to wet shaving years ago.

Your progression is a little different than mine. For a full shave I do the first pass down, the second pass mostly down with a few regular across strokes, and a third pass mostly up, again with a few across strokes to get a few known regular trouble spots. I do stretch as I shave and then clean up where I still feel enough stubble. I always stop if I feel any irritation coming; there's always tomorrow. I think I read somewhere here that @Slash McCoy employs a second down pass to get remaining growth and make the next pass easier and more effective. So, I've adopted that into my routine and it does seem to help, at least at the margin. If I'm wrong, @Slash McCoy please correct me.

Thanks again for the interesting thread. Shave well!
What I generally recommend is two passes. The first pass WTG or as close to WTG as practical. Second pass for an absolute beginner should also be WTG but later you might go XTG or even ATG.

My own beard is not especially heavy, and my edges are very sharp, as sharp as i can get them, generally sharper than an ordinary DE blade and as sharp or very nearly as sharp as a Feather DE blade. So I don't have to worry too much about WTG/XTG/ATG. Your edges will almost certainly not be as sharp, unless you are a Method honer with a few edges under his belt, and your beard might be heavier than mine, and your "touch" with the razor not as intuitively correct. So, don't do as I do, do as I say, or follow the general consensus, which calls for first pass to definitely be WTG or as close to that as your facial topography allows.

What I generally recommend is two passes. The first pass WTG or as close to WTG as practical. Second pass for an absolute beginner should also be WTG but later you might go XTG or even ATG.

My own beard is not especially heavy, and my edges are very sharp, as sharp as i can get them, generally sharper than an ordinary DE blade and as sharp or very nearly as sharp as a Feather DE blade. So I don't have to worry too much about WTG/XTG/ATG. Your edges will almost certainly not be as sharp, unless you are a Method honer with a few edges under his belt, and your beard might be heavier than mine, and your "touch" with the razor not as intuitively correct. So, don't do as I do, do as I say, or follow the general consensus, which calls for first pass to definitely be WTG or as close to that as your facial topography allows.

Thanks much for the clarification.

I've not been using a SR much lately, but have tried your method for honing and got some wickedly sharp edges, and touched up on a balsa w/diamond strop. Thanks for all your contributions.

Top Bottom