What's new

What does Badger Bill think about the RazoRock Stealth Slant?

Well, since you clicked here, I guess I'll tell you. :lol: :thumbup:

For those of you who do not know, I recently received my very own RRSS though a trade with a very kind B&B member.
I've now used it 5 times, and I'm starting to develop a pretty good feeling for it. Is it the be all, end all razor that so many are claiming it to be? Perhaps for some, but not for me. Don't get me wrong… I like it very much, but I don't believe that my other razors are at risk of being placed in storage. Read on to find out why, and also to hear the things that I really like about the RRSS too! But first, I've been at B&B long enough to know that we definitely need an obligatory picture before continuing any further. :001_smile

$pic2.gif

The first thing that strikes me about this razor is it's extremely precise construction. It's really built with care and all the pieces fit together perfectly with almost zero play… to me, that's a huge bonus factor for this razor and it gives it a bunch of points in my book, right away. The black finish is not really my style (I'd probably go with the clear if I were going to buy a production model), but I actually was pleasantly surprised with the black and don't mind it all that much. The coating is applied almost perfectly with just a few near-microscopic places where it wasn't coated perfectly smoothly… this has been described by many in other threads. But overall, the coating is definitely totally acceptable and I have no complaints about it so far.

The other thing that you notice right away is the very light weight of this razor, but also the perfect balance. I love the handle length, and the razor balances better than almost any other razor that I've used. I do have a strong preference for heavy razors, so this was quite the change for me, but I'm getting used to it. Also, the grip on the handle is superb and it just feels very nice and comfortable in hand.

But, how does it shave?!?!!?!?

This razor is ridiculously mild. I have been using it with a feather blade, and honestly, the first time I used it I had to check to make sure there actually was a blade in the razor as I couldn't feel it at all. For some background, I have an extremely coarse, thick, dense, hard beard and extremely sensitive skin, so I tend to go for aggressive razors. My favorites include the R41 2011, so yea… I'm not used to mild razors. But I really love slants… I use the Ikon all the time and I used to use the 39c quite regularly too, so I was very excited to try the RRSS. Also, I thought it could be a great option to use on days when I've shaved many many days in a row (which I don't always do) or if my skin was feeling irritated for some reason.

Ok, back to the shave. Did I mention that this razor is ridiculously mild? :lol:
It still cuts very smoothly, but I must say that unlike every other slant I've ever used, it actually has a bit of trouble slicing through my thick stubble. After 2 passes, I'm definitely not at SAS across my entire face. I am definitely there in some places, but hardly everywhere. By the end of the third pass, I definitely have SAS everywhere, and BBS in some places. I then am able to get everything cut down to an acceptable length with some minor touch up.

If I had to summarize this razor for me, I'd say that it gives one of the most comfortable shaves I've ever had, but it really doesn't get me anywhere near as close of a shave as I can get with some of my other razors after 3 passes, let alone 2 passes with the 2011 R41 (and I have no interest in going for a 4th with the RRSS). That being said, it's incredibly challenging to cut yourself with the RRSS, and you can use it very quickly, and it is incredibly comfortable. So I think it will be perfect for me on days when I don't have too much growth, or when I'm rushing out the door to work and don't have the time or need to go for a total BBS shave with one of my more aggressive razors.

I know that I may be in the minority here with this opinion, but I'm just telling it like it is for me….. remember, YMMV!! :thumbup1:
I really do like this RRSS, and I'm looking forward to adding to my regular rotation. Like I said, it will probably be used mostly on days when I don't need a BBS shave, when I am in a hurry, not totally concentrating, or when I just want to get a dependably close SAS/DFS and don't want to think about much else. But it won't be replacing my other razors all together. Instead, it is a nice addition to my den and fills a role that I actually didn't have a razor for before!

One final thought: While this razor would be great for newbies, I actually would highly caution newbies against using this razor exclusively. It is SO forgiving and comfortable and hard to cut yourself with that I'm afraid that if you exclusively learn on this razor, you won't be able to easily switch to other "normal" DE's that require much better technique. Just a thought to keep in mind….

So I'd better wrap up this post now, before it gets even more endless…. :lol:

- Badger Bill :001_smile

One final thought: While this razor would be great for newbies, I actually would highly caution newbies against using this razor exclusively. It is SO forgiving and comfortable and hard to cut yourself with that I'm afraid that if you exclusively learn on this razor, you won't be able to easily switch to other "normal" DE's that require much better technique. Just a thought to keep in mind….

Reading the many reviews and comments, I was thinking along the same lines...

Thanks for a very informative write up. I will probably get a production model of these - I like mild razors a lot and the only contemporary razor I own is the Feather AS-D1.

I very much like original designs and good craftsmanship backed by a nice and serious manufacturer.

Yes thanks for the honest write up. I'm glad so many people love the razor. For me it's a no go, it has two features I really don't care for. Mild and light weight are the extreme opposites of what I look for.

Very interesting Bill. I am an engineer and I keep trying to figure out what causes the razors to behave differently on different people. Your experience with the RRSS seem to be similar to my experience with the 39C. In my head i try to zoom in at what is happening between the bar, stubble, skin and blade and i can only imagine that subble stiffness and skin plyability create a unique micro effect that changes things like effective blade to stubble angle and closeness of blade to skin. If the stubble is very stiff and lots of it it may push out the whole razor head increasing the distance from blade to skin, the opposite of what an adjustable razor does. Also if the skin is tight it changes the amount of intrussion into the gap in front of the blade, possibly changing the stubble to blade effective angle. And if the skin is more plyable more of it may go into the gap,again changing the angle. So everyone has different beard density, stubble stiffness and skin plyability and therefore different reaction to a razor hence the YMMV. I dont know if i even understand what i just wrote.... Sorry if a am confusing you.

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Great review.
My only concern with this razor is the weight.
For me light razor + no pressure = skipping.

I agree… this has been a small issue for me. I've found that since this razor is SO forgiving, you actually can get around this by applying a tiny bit of pressure (a big no-no with any other DE… a big reason why I don't suggest newbies learn on the RRSS).

Thanks for a very informative write up. I will probably get a production model of these - I like mild razors a lot and the only contemporary razor I own is the Feather AS-D1.

In that case, I bet you will really like the RRSS… Like I said, it's crazy mild, sort of like what I've always imagined the AS-D1 to be (I've never tried one).

Very interesting Bill. I am an engineer and I keep trying to figure out what causes the razors to behave differently on different people. Your experience with the RRSS seem to be similar to my experience with the 39C. In my head i try to zoom in at what is happening between the bar, stubble, skin and blade and i can only imagine that subble stiffness and skin plyability create a unique micro effect that changes things like effective blade to stubble angle and closeness of blade to skin. If the stubble is very stiff and lots of it it may push out the whole razor head increasing the distance from blade to skin, the opposite of what an adjustable razor does. Also if the skin is tight it changes the amount of intrussion into the gap in front of the blade, possibly changing the stubble to blade effective angle. And if the skin is more plyable more of it may go into the gap,again changing the angle. So everyone has different beard density, stubble stiffness and skin plyability and therefore different reaction to a razor hence the YMMV. I dont know if i even understand what i just wrote.... Sorry if a am confusing you.

That makes a lot of sense actually… I don't know enough about this to really comment on anything, but I definitely get what you're saying and it makes sense to me! If it means anything, I probably have a stubble stiffness that's as rigid as just about anyone out there… It's funny because it seems like the two of us have somewhat opposite results as far as DE's go!! :lol: :thumbup:

I love my RRSS - just to get that out of the way- but I agree with pretty much everything Bill says. Very mild feel, probably so forgiving that it is not a razor to learn on. It is definitely comfortable enough to use on days your skin is irritated.

This is a razor for someone who is looking for comfort and speed, for many it will also shave close, but clearly not for all. I'm pretty happy to be one person who can get a 2 pass bbs shave out of it.

Bill,

You mention that you use the iKon somewhat frequently, but left it at that. Can you please elaborate on what you think the difference is between the iKon and the RS? In terms of efficiency, comfort, and effectiveness or whatever other variables you think contribute to a quality shave.

On that note, if you were forced to keep a BBS/near BBS shave everyday, which of the two would go with as a daily driver and why?

Thanks in advance.

Bill,

You mention that you use the iKon somewhat frequently, but left it at that. Can you please elaborate on what you think the difference is between the iKon and the RS? In terms of efficiency, comfort, and effectiveness or whatever other variables you think contribute to a quality shave.

On that note, if you were forced to keep a BBS/near BBS shave everyday, which of the two would go with as a daily driver and why?

Thanks in advance.

Good questions, Xoxi. Thanks for bringing this up. You're right… I should have included this in my original review. To me, the Ikon Slant and the RRSS are two very different beasts. For my thoughts on the RRSS, obviously, see above. :001_smile

The Ikon slant is, in my opinion, quite a bit better at cutting through thick stubble and/or more than 1 day's worth of growth. Even with just 1 day's worth of growth, the Ikon gives me DFS easily in two passes, and a third pass with touchup gives me perfect BBS. So the Ikon is, to me, much more effective than the RRSS in that regard. At the same time, the RRSS is much smoother and more comfortable than the Ikon. It's MUCH harder to cut yourself with the RRSS than the Ikon, and the overall shave is just generally more comfortable overall with the RRSS than the Ikon. So there is a tradeoff there.

If you are somebody who has a relatively thin beard with soft hair and moderate growth, the RRSS might be totally sufficient in giving you daily BBS as your daily driver. If you have very coarse, thick hair like me, you might find the Ikon to be a bit more effective at yielding a BBS shave, at the sacrifice of a small amount of comfort. Now, keep in mind that the Ikon is very comfortable to me still…. it's just the that RRSS is even more comfortable.

If you are asking me which I personally would choose if I only could have one, I'd tell you that it's a very tough decision and that in all honesty, I'd need to try the RRSS more before making a decision. Both of the two razors have their pluses and minuses, and that's why I feel very happy (and lucky) to have both in my regular rotation.

Hope this helps you? If you have any further questions or if I can explain anything further, don't hesitate to ask!

Very nice write up Bill. It's great to get real world use and advice out about a product that is likely to become very popular once production begins.

I sense a bit of resentment there Bill :lol: Just kidding it is a mild razor and not enough weight but overall like you said its a good one.

From all reviews it sounds like a well made razor. I also prefer a more aggressive heavy weight razor. An R41 or a 39C are my usual go to razors. I may have to pass on this one when it becomes more readily available. Hopefully Stan at ATT will produce the heavy weight stainless steel slant bar masterpiece. I'll save my coins and keep my fingers crossed.

Top Bottom