What's new

What does anyone think of THIS razor?

Art,

Nice find. I have a fairly extensive Gillette collection and have yet to see one of these in person.

Rik

C

caseys101

I have a plastic Feather DE that looks exactly like that razor...I paid 25 bucks for mine from classicshaving.com. It was not worth it. maybe for 1 dollar its ok

Well, it definately is a Gillette razor. Not in the best of condition, a little dirty, but a little elbow grease will cure that. For a buck, I am not complaining, except the shipping was more than the price I paid for the razor. It does have a plastic handle though. He shipped it the same day I won and I got it a day later, great service from him, although I would have liked it to be cleaner, but it probably wouldn't have sold so cheap then.

Here is another explanation for it too:

Pauldog from SMF forum said:
The one in the auction is The Knack ("Slim Twist" in England and Canada), and usually goes for more than $1, especially with the original case. It came out in the late 1960's, and it had a completely plastic handle, with all the metal parts above it. Once Gillette developed a twist mechanism right below the head, they made everything underneath out of plastic.

In the early 90's, it evolved slightly into something called "Double Edge", made in England, and may still be available (or orderable) from some drugstores. The packaging has no name except "Gillette". Store price is about $10 for a new one. The main differences from the original Knack are a smaller handle and a much smaller twist knob.

Anyway, I am going to give it to one of the guys at work who is interested in wetshaving with a DE. He keeps seeing me rubbing my face on my good shave days

caseys101 said:
I have a plastic Feather DE that looks exactly like that razor...I paid 25 bucks for mine from classicshaving.com. It was not worth it. maybe for 1 dollar its ok

I was surprised by how much plastic was in the Feather razor, and hidden by shiny "plating". (That bothers me more than plastic that looks like plastic.) Even Gillette's last DE was all metal above the cheap plastic handle.

That same Feather sells for a few bucks at the Marvy barber supply store in St. Paul.

Top Bottom