What's new

What do you wish your first straight was?

I'm not even a SR neophyte yet. Have been doing a fair bit of research trying to make my mind up whether I want to put my toe in the water. I have read suggestions for "friendly" straights to ease the transition into the game. And yes, that Dovo gets mentioned. Before I make any decisions, can you elaborate on the dreaded part? I enjoy the opinions of seasoned shavers and what they might do differently if they could. I have an ignorant opinion that my personal preference will be toward a 7/8 and at the very least a 6/8. Can I just skip past the Dovo 5/8 even as a newbie?
When selecting a first razor, the width is not as important as the point. Nothing wrong with a 6/8ths or even a 7/8ths. I think 5/8ths is just a cheaper size to start with, if you are not sure that you are going to stick with it.

The point however is important, a round point is easier to learn with. Square points, Spanish points and French points have a tendency to bite, if you are not paying attention.

Most important is a good edge. Counter-Intuitively, a sharp razor is much easier to shave with than one that is not sharp enough. That is where most beginners have the biggest issues, truly shave ready razors are not easy to come by.

I'm not even a SR neophyte yet. Have been doing a fair bit of research trying to make my mind up whether I want to put my toe in the water. I have read suggestions for "friendly" straights to ease the transition into the game. And yes, that Dovo gets mentioned. Before I make any decisions, can you elaborate on the dreaded part? I enjoy the opinions of seasoned shavers and what they might do differently if they could. I have an ignorant opinion that my personal preference will be toward a 7/8 and at the very least a 6/8. Can I just skip past the Dovo 5/8 even as a newbie?
As someone else mentioned, size isn't as important except don't go below 5/8, though larger is also a little more to maneuver for small spaces like upper lip, so I would suggest 5/8 or 6/8, not a 7/8 but I don't think that's risky, just awkward when you don't have the feel for it. 4/8 however is a bit risky because it can wobble different angles until you know how to hold the angle.

Regarding the Dovo best quality, ironic it says quality in the name because people have often reported quality issues with them - specifically uneven and warped spines. It's still usable and such but it won't hone how it should, and not all of them have the issues but quality control on them is bad enough people frequently report it.

Dovo Bismarck is a fine Dovo, otherwise try for something else - vintage or Ralf Aust or Boker etc. I don't encourage the Dovo best quality simply because it's been reported to have quality issues so very frequently

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

What do you wish your first straight was?​

Sharp.

Seriously. For someone just starting out it is not intuitive that a "shave ready" razor is a thing.
When one buys a car, it's ready to drive off the lot, no one expects you would have to inflate the tires and install a battery after you buy it from the dealer.
Getting from a nice new shiny straight to where you can actually shave with it takes some effort, on your own or through someone who can make it shave ready for you.
I don't think that is made clear enough to people buying new straight razors from new straight razor makers.

Getting from a nice new shiny straight to where you can actually shave with it takes some effort, on your own or through someone who can make it shave ready for you.
Is buying a new or vintage razor from one of the online businesses that say they are sending you a razor they say is ready to shave out of the box and telling you not to even attempt a strop until you have shaved once or twice a pretty safe bet, or is the consensus that it's a crapshoot whether it's sharp and shave ready?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Is buying a new or vintage razor from one of the online businesses that say they are sending you a razor they say is ready to shave out of the box and telling you not to even attempt a strop until you have shaved once or twice a pretty safe bet, or is the consensus that it's a crapshoot whether it's sharp and shave ready?
It can be a crapshoot as SR shavers each have their own individual standard for shave-ready. Here is a list of vendors that members claim sell truly shave-ready SRs:

Last edited:
20 years ago I picked up a dovo Bismarck special

My first razor was a Dovo Carre 6/8 full hollow from Jared at TSS. Wouldn't change a thing!

The Bismarck, the Carre, an Aust, certain models from Ertan Suer.. any decent quality SR made from that Solingen thumbnotch 6/8 blank. Easy shavers that would be a great first razor.

That it should be well honed goes without saying. I started with a Gold Dollar that had been well treated by at least two B&B members. That got me going.

If the starter SR is going to be self-maintained, I suspect that half or quarter hollow blade edges are more resistant to damage from newbie hone and strop technique.

BTW, my 5/8 Dovo Best Quality has had zero issues. It was not truly shave ready, but few factory fresh SRs meet the exacting standards of the B&B cognoscenti, myself included among them. Many can be brought to a high standard just with a pasted balsa strop progression. The Best Quality got to visit my Naniwa 12k.

It can be a crapshoot as SR shavers each have their own individual standard for shave-ready. Here is a list of vendors that members claim sell truly shave-ready SRs:

Maggards and Portland aren't on there? That's crazy, I've used maggards for honing service in the past, does a great job, and they claim to sharpen before shipping everything they sell.

I've heard tell Portland razor co also ships shave ready and reportedly - it is very much so.

I think that list is maybe old?

The Bismarck, the Carre, an Aust, certain models from Ertan Suer.. any decent quality SR made from that Solingen thumbnotch 6/8 blank. Easy shavers that would be a great first razor.

That it should be well honed goes without saying. I started with a Gold Dollar that had been well treated by at least two B&B members. That got me going.

If the starter SR is going to be self-maintained, I suspect that half or quarter hollow blade edges are more resistant to damage from newbie hone and strop technique.

BTW, my 5/8 Dovo Best Quality has had zero issues. It was not truly shave ready, but few factory fresh SRs meet the exacting standards of the B&B cognoscenti, myself included among them. Many can be brought to a high standard just with a pasted balsa strop progression. The Best Quality got to visit my Naniwa 12k.
Used mine again recently just for nostalgia and because it met my naniwa 12k.. really can't complain. Just read so very many others who could - I think I got a Lucky one

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Maggards and Portland aren't on there? That's crazy, I've used maggards for honing service in the past, does a great job, and they claim to sharpen before shipping everything they sell.

I've heard tell Portland razor co also ships shave ready and reportedly - it is very much so.

I think that list is maybe old?
That's good to hear. The B&B wiki can be maintained by any member of B&B. You should amend the wiki with your knowledge.

I should say "brand new 5/8 round point shave-ready razor," but I don't do anything the easy way, I'm cheap and pain is a good teacher, so I doubt I'd have done it any other way. Antiquing; I found a Solingen-made 5/8 full hollow square point that wasn't broken, or rusted, just patina and no frown or smile for ~$7 so it became my first SR. Later, I came across a Bresduck leather/linen strop with a few nicks in it for $9. "In for a penny, in for a pound," and after reading about the method and sanding/restoring both of them, I honed, stropped and shaved with my first SR. It would have been easier to start with either a 5/8 or 6/8 shave ready round point, but having said that, I don't know as I have yet to shave with a round point yet (working on two 5/8 FH round points right now). Affordable 5/8 square points are readily available, but most round points I've come across are either broken, rusty, $$$ or well used up--maybe because they've traditionally been "beginner" razors?

First and only razor for years was the dreaded Dovo Best Quality 5/8 round point. Epitome of "Your first razor should be this!"

Mailed it to Lynn Abrams for sharpening straight away because reports they aren't factory sharp, and I was happy as **** with it for a great long time.

I don't know that I would change anything because I can't imagine how it would have impacted my learning which was quite enjoyable. I wanted a full hollow early, a 6/8-7/8 full hollow really is a favorite for me, but would I put that in my hands learning? Dunno, could have been a bad idea for sure..
Oh this is too good. You just got done telling me that Dovo’s are garbage after I responded to a dude looking for his first straight razor telling him I had a new Dovo I’d sell him for ~$50 less than what it costs anywhere.

You instead suggested that he (a totally clueless new guy) go hunt down a “better quality/lower price” razor by searching eBay for vintage stuff.

So imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon this post where you said you had the quintessential “new user’s first blade”, a Dovo Best Quality, which is the EXACT one I offered to sell him. Lol, you even go on to say how you made the right decision by learning on it rather than trying to jump into something more exotic.

😂

s-l1600.jpg

The best start would be a shaver ready razor that has been prepared by a daily SR shaver. The razor would be 5/8 - 6/8” with a muted point. It must have good geometry and lay flat on the stones for a gentle introduction to honing. Modern or vintage.

To go with that a leather strop and 0.1 micron diamond pasted balsa strop for easy maintenance. An acrylic block and lapping film progression should be in hand to get the razor up and running again if something goes wrong. Think of this as a puncture repair kit.

My first razor was a 5/8 Wester's.
I would not have had a better start with another razor.
The best start is to start and not turn it into mental masturbation. It's just shaving. Pick a blade, get it honed. Don't over think it. Ask enough people on the internet what to do and nothing will get done. Just do it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The best start would be a shaver ready razor that has been prepared by a daily SR shaver. The razor would be 5/8 - 6/8” with a muted point. It must have good geometry and lay flat on the stones for a gentle introduction to honing. Modern or vintage.

To go with that a leather strop and 0.1 micron diamond pasted balsa strop for easy maintenance. An acrylic block and lapping film progression should be in hand to get the razor up and running again if something goes wrong. Think of this as a puncture repair kit.
You are spot on with this. The only thing I would add is the SR should have about a half to full hollow grind.

Top Bottom